Here you go ODW

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Tony, I know you love artichokes, so this is for you. As you can see, I harvested the main one a few days ago.

P1010375.JPG

?? Explain. I don’t get it.
Last winter I told Tony I was planting some artichoke plants and he told the story of how he and his wife smuggled some California artichokes from California to Arizona. He thought he would get in trouble at the border. I told him I would keep him posted how my plants were doing. I put the little seedlings in the ground if late February.

Thanks. Where I live vegetables are barely out of the ground. I wasn’t thinking. I hope your garden does well. Last year I found Cherokee Purple tomatoes. The best.

I've heard those were really good. It's too cool here on the coast for tomatoes, so I envy you guys.

Here in SE Idaho, we are believers in planting on June 1st!! Even then, sometimes they freeze early. Luckily, Egans greenhouse grows the best tomatoes from May thru Oct.

Last winter I told Tony I was planting some artichoke plants and he told the story of how he and his wife smuggled some California artichokes from California to Arizona. He thought he would get in trouble at the border. I told him I would keep him posted how my plants were doing. I put the little seedlings in the ground if late February.
Hey eel, I think I might remember this. Didn't OW want to trade em out for gummies? LOL Or was that a different thread? Either way-I miss the guy.

Hey eel, I think I might remember this. Didn't OW want to trade em out for gummies? LOL Or was that a different thread? Either way-I miss the guy.
I don't recall for sure, but you're probably right. Back in November he sent me a pm saying he was in pain and had a hard time sleeping. He asked me if I could help him with some cannabis recommendation. I made a few calls and was able to help him out. He not only slept better but was able to eat a little more. I hope it made his last few months a little more comfortable. I miss him too.

Oh man, love me some artichokes too. first thing my kid asks for when I go to the store...that's a nice plant you have there, will that plant continue to grow for years? I had a nice one for about three or four years and then it just died off?

Oh man, love me some artichokes too. first thing my kid asks for when I go to the store...that's a nice plant you have there, will that plant continue to grow for years? I had a nice one for about three or four years and then it just died off?
Artichoke plants live about three years and then you have to replant....or you can split one of the side shoots that comes from the ground off and plant it in a new location, as long as you get some roots when you divide the plant.

Cut the plants back to about 4" above ground level in the late fall and cover them with mulch if you live in a place with cold winters, and they will start fresh next Spring. Real cold winters they probably won't make it and some people just put new plants in the ground every year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom