Herriman archery hunt

jeremyr32

I am thinking of hunting the extended in the Herriman unit. Have any of you looked into this unit? Why did they open up this unit if everything is private?

Same reason they put together most private land hunts, to create revenue without losing hardly any resource. That and the ?opportunity? illusion

@screaminseagull

Creating revenue????

Plenty of folks up there are screaming at the DWR and complaining about the deer eating their bushes. I imagine they are hoping somebody like you (or private land owners) will find a way to harass them enough to push some back up the mountain??

Well I went up there today and I don't know where you can hunt. I went up rose canyon but you can't hunt there. I can hike into the blm land from there but it's posted saying no hunting or archery. So my question is can I carry my equipment on this part of public land until I get to the blm land that I can hunt on?

If you're not actively hunting while hiking into the area you can hunt, there's no laws against you openly carrying your bow while out on a hike

@screaminseagull

reviving this post. Anyone been up in the public area this month? I am up from St. George for the holiday staying at my in-laws. I was hoping to hunt near emmigration this morning, but that didn't work out. for the rest of our stay, I don't think I can make it over on the east side of the valley. I'm willing to venture out in the Herriman public area of there are deer there. From what I can see, the public land is limited and am not sure I can risk sneaking off if its already been pressured or the deer don't tend to hang out on public land.

reviving this post. Anyone been up in the public area this month? I am up from St. George for the holiday staying at my in-laws. I was hoping to hunt near emmigration this morning, but that didn't work out. for the rest of our stay, I don't think I can make it over on the east side of the valley. I'm willing to venture out in the Herriman public area of there are deer there. From what I can see, the public land is limited and am not sure I can risk sneaking off if its already been pressured or the deer don't tend to hang out on public land.
It really doesn’t take that long to get to most canyons on the front, where you’ll have more public land than you know what to do with.

It really doesn’t take that long to get to most canyons on the front, where you’ll have more public land than you know what to do with.
Are you suggesting trying somewhere other than herriman? I'll have one chance (if I can get out at all) so I want to go to a place with high probability of getting into something. That may not be realistic...

I hunted 2 days on the front and killed a buck yesterday, and could’ve killed a handful of others. I’m not going to spoon feed you a spot, but if you’re willing to hike you should get on something.

I hunted 2 days on the front and killed a buck yesterday, and could’ve killed a handful of others. I’m not going to spoon feed you a spot, but if you’re willing to hike you should get on something.
Thanks. I'm not looking to be spoon fed, although I wouldn't complain ?. I'm willing to do the work, but the Wasatch front is a HUGE amount of country. Im notorious for choosing places that hold no deer, at least in southern Utah. With only one shot, I just want to make sure I'm generally in the right area.

Thanks. I'm not looking to be spoon fed, although I wouldn't complain ?. I'm willing to do the work, but the Wasatch front is a HUGE amount of country. Im notorious for choosing places that hold no deer, at least in southern Utah. With only one shot, I just want to make sure I'm generally in the right area.
Hell just head up toward mountain dell reservoir deer all over up there along with 900 people to lol

Thanks. I was up here a couple weeks ago. Tried to go up there. It was closed. Talked to a hunter who had walked past the gate early in the morning. Said he didn't see much. Maybe it's open again and maybe they've moved in there more...and maybe there's also 900 people in there?

Creating revenue????

Plenty of folks up there are screaming at the DWR and complaining about the deer eating their bushes. I imagine they are hoping somebody like you (or private land owners) will find a way to harass them enough to push some back up the mountain??
Maybe they shouldn’t live close to nature

Wherever the people are is where the deer are, find a good trail and let the deer come to you.
That's such a hard thing for me to recognize. I've always been taught to get away from people as much as possible. It makes sense...if there are deer, there are going to be lots of people. I just need to get that through my thick head

Pick a trailhead up big or little Cottonwood and start hiking. You’ll see something.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom