HEY ELKNUT

beardog

Just wondering how your daughters muzz. deer hunt went.... i saw little bucks most every day that it wasnt snowing to hard to see.. but nuthin big enough to get to excited about ....beardog

Take your kids hunting ? it's a blast! My daughter is 17, looking for her first buck.

Evening on the way in ? she passed a 2 point at 20 yards ? water hole.

First Day ? 2, 4X4?s ? one 27? (biggest buck I seen on the mt in 4 or 5 years of hunting it), one 22?. 115 yards, got her a rest on a rock, just at light. Can?t get it in the peep, got it, buck moves, MZ slides off the rock, back on the rock, can't get it in the peep, got it ? wait ass shot, buck moves, can't get it in the peep ? buck walks off. No shot! Father a little excited.
Spike - passed at 40 yards.
Spike - passed at 60 yards.
Evening - 18 deer, 1 large 2X2, 1 small 2X2 at 40 yards, daughter wants the larger buck. No rest ? can't hold the MZ still, walk up to 25 yards, no rest can't see in the peep, getting dark, found it ? daughter not sure it's the larger 2 point, no shot, buck walks off. No shot first day.

Day two and our last day ? snow.
Spike at 40 yards, good rest, BOOM - MISSED! (I'm thinking now we need to kill something because now I need to clean my MZ) Daughter is very disappointed.
Evening - ATV trail 2 point at 80 yards. Try to get rest on the ATV seat, takes some time, buck moves out to 120 ? not a good shot after 40 yard miss. Snow hits ? back to truck. Snow stops, back on same trail ? same buck ? same spot now 60 yards. Faster on the rest off ATV, BOOM ? It's a hit, however, after 300 yards of sage buck looks pretty good, small limp, very, very little blood, track 800 yards in snow, little to no blood. Lost buck in thick pines. Back on ATV to go home, wait nice 3 point up the hill at 600 yards, drive ATV up to 100 yards, buck walks into trees, follow on foot. 70 yard shot, can't get in peep, can't hold still, got it, buck moves, lift head to see buck move, can't get buck back in peep, follow ? repeat ? repeat ? repeat ? No shot. Almost dark back on ATV to go home, wait - what's this? same leg shot 2 point runs up to us and stops at 60 yards ? daughter takes a knee off ATV BOOM ? head shot!!! Daughter very excited, but a little grossed out by what a 300gr can do to a 2 points head ? still very happy - dad is the best guide in Utah!!!!!

Father is thankful for leg shot 2 points that just can't seem to get enough! Cleans MZ at 2AM when home.

Well it sounds like you had a good hunt with her.. thats great that she got one. and got to see a bunch more. but a headmount might not look to good"""LOL""" congrats. on her first deer........beardog

Beardog,

Did you take a buck? - Enjoyed how little the pressure was now the unit is closed to elk. Did find a very nice wallow when/if they ever open it back up.

elknut------nope i didnt get a deer, but that was my choice. i saw small bucks everyday up high on the muzz hunt and passed up 2 pretty nice 4 points... then on the rifle hunt i hunted way down low on the northend of the unit and never saw a deer in 3 days.. i did have a small herd of elk by my camp there though..and saw 1 realy nice 5 point bull so i had fun there anyway.. it's was nice to see more new country, its beutiful down there, but i get to lookin for bobcat or lion tracks and forget im supossed to be deer huntin........beardog

Yes - you cat hunters only have one thing on your mind ;)

I'd like to try it someday. I was helping a friend this week on the ML300 - (his MZ cap did not fire on 3 mature bulls at 45 yards - another story) well, we ran onto some large cat prints in north Utah. Sometimes it makes you wonder who the hunter is.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom