Hey Knight shooters...

H

Henry

any of you ever had this problem. My Bighorn will only bust a cap
every other time I pull the trigger. I can't figure this out, the musket cap after the first pull has no marks on it, untouched.
I checked the safety it is the way unscrewed. I pulled the bolt assembly out, wiped it off, no change. The bolt seems to fall normally when it dosen't strike the cap, and you can't push it forward with the palm of your hand. but for some reason it's not quite getting contact.
Any thoughts??? I'm calling Knight tomorrow. Just thought I'd throw the proble to you all first.

I have not shot the musket cap out of my Knight MK-85, but I had a similar problem when I converted over to the 209 primer. What was happening to me is the primer that I first started out with (CCI) was about a .0001 inch to large. So when I went to shot it the first time the bolt assembly would only push the primer the rest of the way in to the breech plug and would go off the second time I shot the primer. Talked to Knights customer service about at and they said that I needed to switch over to Winchester primers. That seemed to help but did not completely solve the problem. I ended up getting some fine grain sand paper and sanded out the inside of my breech plug. Solved all my problems.

Now that I have worked out all the problems I can not say that I like the 209 system so I might switch back to the #11.

400bull

Chuck the nipple in an electric drill. Polish the exterior of the nipple with emerycloth. Use a capper and make sure the musketcap is seated fully on the nipple. If that doesn't cure the problem, a new/stronger striker spring may be needed.

In my experience, the culprit usually is, the cap isn't seated fully. A rough or dirty exterior on the nipple keeps the cap from fully seating. Using a capper will give you a little more leverage to seat the cap. The first strike seats the cap on the nipple. The second strike sets it off.

BTW: Always use a capper. Thumb pressure alone has been known to set a cap off. The result isn't pretty. I saw a guy's thumb that had a piece missing from "thumb seating" a cap.

Guys, I think your on to it, with your suggestions. First off my caps are CCI brand. My nipple is well used and maybe a little rough. I am seating with a capper, but I think I'll sand the nipple a bit and try to reduce it's diameter. Then they should seat better. Thank you, I'll post my results.

I had the same problem with CCI muskett caps in my Bighorn. I went with the RWS Caps and had no more problems.

Mark

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom