HEY Lumpy???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
When's The Last Time You Seen/Counted 459 Bucks in One Evening in TARDville? EDIT: These Bucks were Counted in one Meadow!

How Bout 5,000-6,000 Deer Hunters on Pine Valley?

Or When Somebody Said:

We Have Too Many Mule Deer in Utah?

Last edited:
A whole lot of information, huh?

From hardly a mule deer in Utah to that in 50 years.

2 tags
62 Units
Different seasons on different units, according to the needs of the unit.
Begging for out of State hunters.
Proud of the huge bucks.
4000-5000 hunters and wanting more.
Scared to death there are so many deer, they are worried they’re all going to starve to death.

It’s not on that film but there is a photograph hanging, on a wall, in a cabin on Monroe Mountain, currently one of the worst mule deer units in the State. It’s a picture of the small meadow out in front of the cabin. There are 168 mule deer bucks in the picture. On any given day, during the summer you would be hard pressed to see two bucks. We’re not talking a developed area, nothing has changed up there, so far a development, since the picture was taken.

Sad.

Sad Indeed!

I Was Born Too Late!

But I'm Old Enough That I Still Remember Seeing Deer Herds of 100+ Head!

I Remember Bachelor Groups of Bucks 20-30 in a Bunch & They Were All 4 Points or Better!

Them Bucks they Tagged as Fawns & Harvested at 16 Months old were a little Bigger than the 16 Month Old PISSCUTTERS We have Now!

It was during that period of time the mission statement of “Maximum Recreational Opportunity” was established, and it seemed like a positive mission at that time. Unfortunately, it became so embedded, it still dominates the decisions. It cannot work under the current conditions and has kept mule deer reproduction in the tank for far too long.

A lot of misinformation has been embedded, some out of ignorance and some intentionally. Either way, we are where we are and there seems be little desire to do much other than offer passive lip service.

When they are hard, hard, hard set to make sure there will never be different hunt unit management strategies, based unique conditions, there is no way it can ever turn around.

Remember when We Went to the 30+ Units for Better Deer Management Several years ago?

How's That Panned Out?
It’s been totally worthless, so far as growing healthy population increases. Worthless.

At this point, ten year later, the only good thing that could someday come out of it would be if they decide to actually manage the units according to their individual’s needs. Until then, it’s worhless.

Mike Christensen told me it would be worthless at the time. He was absolutely right.

I don't believe our mule deer herds can ever be turned around to what they once were..I can remember sitting up in currant creek in the mid 70s in late October through november and watching a 100 to 300 deer in a herd lined up moving down country that was before they built the reservoir and the road was really a piece of crap now it's like a hi way all the way across the top same goes for wolf creek back in the day that soap stone country produced some really nice bucks.. and the seep ridge road going to the book cliffs and nine mile road going from the basin clear to price these are all regular hi ways all this great access has put the hurt on our mule deer herds plus road kills on some of these roads I live on a 15 mile stretch of hi way that averages a deer a day that adds up year after year and the list of other problems goes on and on and I don't see any change on the horizon except it'll probably only get worse

I don't believe our mule deer herds can ever be turned around to what they once were..I can remember sitting up in currant creek in the mid 70s in late October through november and watching a 100 to 300 deer in a herd lined up moving down country that was before they built the reservoir and the road was really a piece of crap now it's like a hi way all the way across the top same goes for wolf creek back in the day that soap stone country produced some really nice bucks.. and the seep ridge road going to the book cliffs and nine mile road going from the basin clear to price these are all regular hi ways all this great access has put the hurt on our mule deer herds plus road kills on some of these roads I live on a 15 mile stretch of hi way that averages a deer a day that adds up year after year and the list of other problems goes on and on and I don't see any change on the horizon except it'll probably only get worse
Someone once said, “if you only do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”

Makes sense to me.

This Last Friday From Duchesne To Fruitland there Were 7 Fresh RoadKills!

I'm Talkin Still Laying in the Middle of The Road & Fresh Blood!

We Don't Even Have Much Snow!

But They Know Where The Salt Content/Best Feed is!

I'd Say Add That Up But You Can't!

Have you guys thought about it being a much bigger environment problem. Look at the birds. We have heard a lot about how bad off the pheasant and sage grouse are right now but think about many other birds. Remember when there were hundreds of red wing blackbirds around ever patch of cattails. Not any more. How about all the meadow larks in the fields and sage. Not any more. All the magpies are disappearing. I used to always see black capped chickadees and ceadar waxwings pass through ever winter. Not any more. I thing we're dealing with a much bigger problem than how to manage the hunters. Our whole ecology is in trouble.

Bingo.....that area needs drastic measures to reduce highway mortality!

@ridgetops is right, our issue goes much deeper than just the visible things.

Look at our collaring studies, fawns are both dying (of natural causes) and or being aborted.

E="elkassassin, post: 2028265, member: 1706"]
You're Wrong on The Magpies Ridge!

These F'Rs are Thicker Than Flies around here & You Can't Shoot Em!
[/QUOTE]
I want pictures

Be Glad I Guess You Don't Have alot of them Where You Are Ridge!

These Black & White Birdies are Hell on Eggs of all kinds!

Ya,They Do Chew on Dead Animals!

When They Protected These F'N Birds I About Lost My Cool!

Should Be An Open Season/Bounty on Them!

But Then Again I've Never Satisfied the GREENIES of this World!

I have to agree with elk between the magpies,ravens and coons and to some extent the skunks I'm surprised we have any game birds out here in the basin

Quite a bunch of them out here Ridge!

They Got Plenty to eat along Roadways Right Now!

They are Kinda Like Coyotes!

A Survivalist!

I haven't seen very many of them no matter where I go. I'll admit I haven't been in the basin for over 20 years.

Ya!

Like Yote Said!

Amazing there is any Small Game Birds Surviving!

F'N COONS!

Now There's Something We'd Loan Somebody!

Be Glad I Guess You Don't Have alot of them Where You Are Ridge!

These Black & White Birdies are Hell on Eggs of all kinds!

Ya,They Do Chew on Dead Animals!

When They Protected These F'N Birds I About Lost My Cool!

Should Be An Open Season/Bounty on Them!

But Then Again I've Never Satisfied the GREENIES of this World!
My dad said when he was a boy back in the 1940 and 50 the bounty on magpies was ten cents a head.

5 cents for each egg and 10 cents for each head in Rooster Valley for the black and white pests. That is what they paid around Venice anyway.

And someone told me there wasn’t any deer left out that way? Now I’m confused…

@ridgetops is right, our issue goes much deeper than just the visible things.

Look at our collaring studies, fawns are both dying (of natural causes) and or being aborted.
slam i was going to bring the collaring study up i have notice most biologist don't wear gloves and some do and some only wear short sleeve shirts.
Have we ever thought that the human scent is causing the doe's to not take there fawns back and die from malnutrition.

I've seen this first hand with livestock...

You Know What Math is?

It’s the science of numbers and their operations, interrelations, combinations, generalizations, and abstractions and of space configurations and their structure, measurement, transformations, and generalizations.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom