Hey zeke

JPickett

Long Time Member
Or any one that has some insight but I know zeke is the resident expert.

Question on necking down brass and shoulder bump. As I posted before I’m building a 22 creedmore. Dies are a pain right now so I’ve bought 6.5 redding bushing dies to neck down the brass. Pretty straight forward there. I’ve stepped the necks down with three bushings and they came out perfect.

Question I have is bumping the shoulders back. I have a 6.5 redding body die. Now I don’t have my rifle back yet to measure the chamber but when I do, and bump those shoulders will the neck being down to .251 (as supposed to 6.5 spec) make for an un even shoulder or should it bump back at the right shape?

After I necked down all my brass it occurred to me that maybe I should have bumped shoulders first. But then I guess that die wouldn’t work for resizing my now 22 brass in the future. I over thinking this?

Pardon me if I am misunderstanding your specific application, however I am thinking that you could keep that final bushing in your bushing die and just bump the shoulders back accordingly with that same die (no need for a body die).

So basically, adjust your bushing die to bump your shoulders back accordingly, then step your necks down. In the process of stepping your necks down, you are simultaneously full length resizing your brass and bumping your shoulders back.

Personally, I use a redding competition shellholder set. It comes with shellholders of various heights allowing me to bump the shoulder back without touching the die.

I hope I'm understanding your question properly. :)

If I was using a full length sizer for necks I could. I like to just neck size so the die is not a body die as well. If I do have an issue with shoulders on the just the body die that may be the change I make but I’d like to avoid it

Both the 6.5 and 22 Creed have a 30 degree shoulder angle so you should be find when bumping shoulders. You’re only pushing the shoulder back at the shoulder/case junction normally anyway. Once you get your rifle and fire some rounds you will have your shoulder measurements and can set your body die accordingly.

Did you neck turn your brass? I assume you used 6.5 brass and stepped it down to 22? If so your neck thickness might be a bit thick.

I did step down 6.5. I know I’m good on shoulder angle I’m just wondering if the smaller neck diameter will leave a portion around the neck bulged ( for lack of a better term. I think it’s going to be ok too I’ve reloaded a lot just never necked down brass for a cartridge.

I have not turned the necks. They stretched when necked down so I’ll need to trim them. Measuring inside diameter I’ve got two thousands of tension ( bushings giving me what I was looking for) and the case wall is .015. Im really hoping I don’t have to turn necks. I think spec is .013-.014. Guess I’ll see when I get my rifle done

I think you're barking up the right tree ....but who told you the lie about me being the resident expert? I'm a hack and proud of it.

Like Andy said, you'll want to fire some once the gun is in your hands and then you can really set the die correctly to bump the shoulder.

I wouldn't actually load any until you have the gun and can chamber some or your necked down brass to make sure they'll chamber. Then you can load a few and fire them and see if you have enough neck release for your chamber. I'm betting you will have enough room without neck turning if it's a SAAMI chamber.

sounds fun!

Zeke

It’s gunna be super fun. And yeah I’m done playing with it until I get the rifle. Just couldn’t resist using my new die’s and necking down some brass. Have my gun smith threading a piece of once fired to fit a hornady lock and load gauge so I’ll have a good basis for chamber dimensions. always do that on a build. Should be Sami specs so I’m hoping no neck turning. Got him throating it out for 90gr vld’s too. Going to be a fun summer at the range

I did step down 6.5. I know I’m good on shoulder angle I’m just wondering if the smaller neck diameter will leave a portion around the neck bulged ( for lack of a better term. I think it’s going to be ok too I’ve reloaded a lot just never necked down brass for a cartridge.

I have not turned the necks. They stretched when necked down so I’ll need to trim them. Measuring inside diameter I’ve got two thousands of tension ( bushings giving me what I was looking for) and the case wall is .015. Im really hoping I don’t have to turn necks. I think spec is .013-.014. Guess I’ll see when I get my rifle done

I think it will be ok also. I don’t think the smaller diameter will affect anything since it’s a body die and doesn’t touch the neck even of a 6.5.
Like Zeke stated once you have your rifle you can check loaded neck diameter vs chamber neck diameter vs fired to be sure you have clearance for bullet release but if he chambered it with a Saami reamer you should be fine. If your gunsmith has the reamer print get a copy and you can measure loaded rounds also to compare.

CAhunter805 said "If your gunsmith has the reamer print get a copy and you can measure loaded rounds also to compare".

Great idea!

Zeke

...and If the the bolt will close on them when you get the rifle.....shoot them...then no worries about the shoulder bump....

Last edited:
As stated, those necks are going to be thick, and assume a custom rifle is going to have a minimum dimension chamber. So you’ll likely have to turn necks. Once that’s done, fire form and size with a lee collet neck sizer. You’d be surprised how infrequently you have to mess with shoulder bump.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom