High Country Bucks....

offtrail

High country over the counter hunt....Kali....We had minimal time to hunt, with the fires, smoke, and forest closures and it being 2020 the season was looking bleak at best... We saw our first window of opportunity upon the reopening... and went for it...... knowing we had roughly 18-20 hrs of daylight to hunt...It was a....go get some bucks mission.....
Pealed out Fri morning 6am, Hiking at 10. Hours later a quick pit stop at the creek to load the weekends worth of water....Struggle for the last 2000K of vert to the peak.... Above tree line on the way to camp u can start to look down the many slots....this is when it starts to get good.
IMG_0284.jpeg

a quick power nap at camp.... 9200'
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 5.49.03 PM.png

...and we were hunting by 5pm...Blew the first opportunity within an hour of hunting and that was it for the evening....however like all good honey holes the nightly reset brought in another buck. 9am Sat, glassed up a grey bodied buck feeding. I was 200+ yards above him, it was hard to resist the perfect situation. So I laid my pac down, threw my rifle on it and bellied out on some rim rock. got comfy and touched one off and rang out the canyon.
One tag filled one to go....
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 5.44.23 PM.png
Partner blew it on a nice buck later that evening....and that's how its goes sometimes.
Sun am, glassing first thing, 9ish we glassed up two bucks, two shots later our season was over. Boned him out, hung him for awhile for the retrieval on the way out.....in the end we each walked out heavy.....only shitty part of the hunt was realizing we had coolers full of Ice with not even one victory beer in them. (man we ****#* up on that!!)
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 5.50.28 PM.png

Not the biggest bucks, But we worked hard for them, and I'm proud of that.... it was a true big mountain hunt....

offtrail....

Last edited:
Great little short story enjoyed it thank you for sharing! Congratulations. It’s been a tough season for sure and I doubt the success rate will be very good overall which will hopefully make for a better season next year at least.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom