High Lonesome Lost... Public hunters Won

elks96

Long Time Member
Just saw this. It finally came through. I could say lots of things about High Lonesome and none of them would be nice. I am happy that we pushed Garfield County a commissioners to this task. It is a good chunk of land opened back up and better yet the ranch was sent a message.

The High Lonesome has tried to bully hunters for years. If you were legally hunting BLM in their neighborhood they would sit in their security truck where you park and try and intimidate you and catch you crossing to the road on their little strips of private they buy trying to landlock all the blm.. Glad someone took them to task.

This ruling was long overdue! I hope there are many, many, more like it.
I have always been a strong supporter of land owner rights.
However,
I cannot condone denying access to large tracks of public land by simply installing a gate on a public road, and then locking it.
Kelso Mesa on the Uncomphagre Plateau.
Chalk Mtn east of Palisade.
The Raggeds northeast of Paonia.
These are just some of the ones I have dealt with personally. There are many others that I have heard about.
This has been a common practice in Colorado for more than 40 years and it is starting to happen here in AZ.

Elkchaser

Just FYI, the article said something about a reasonable time to unlock the gate? Not sure what a reasonable time might mean? I am glad it went to court. I wonder if they are willing to keep fighting it?
They have always been a holes and harassed people left and right...

nothing was better then killing pheasants on the small pieces of public near their place. They were always trying to run us out, but when the pheasants are on public nothing they an do. Even if they are the ones raising and letting em go!!!

Just FYI, the article said something about a reasonable time to unlock the gate? Not sure what a reasonable time might mean? I am glad it went to court. I wonder if they are willing to keep fighting it?
They have always been a holes and harassed people left and right...

nothing was better then killing pheasants on the small pieces of public near their place. They were always trying to run us out, but when the pheasants are on public nothing they an do. Even if they are the ones raising and letting em go!!!
Yeah they Tried to kick me out of there one time and I told him to call the sheriff and have him meet me at my exact spot because I was on public and they kind of backed off but they were jerks about it

Early on when they first put up all the statues along the road I thought they were pretty cool so I stop at each one and look at them and they told me that I cannot be on that road in the first place and I told him that was BS because it was a county road nothing they could do about it

Early on when they first put up all the statues along the road I thought they were pretty cool so I stop at each one and look at them and they told me that I cannot be on that road in the first place and I told him that was BS because it was a county road nothing they could do about it
I think you’re talking about neighboring Kessler Canyon Ranch, now called Branded Rock Canyon.

They use to load their horses in a trailer and go to the head of drainages on public a couple of days before season and ride toward the ranch head quarters shooting and hollering. This of coarse drove nearly all the animals onto their land.......slimey crooks is what they are. I was victim of this twice.

The High Lonesome has tried to bully hunters for years. If you were legally hunting BLM in their neighborhood they would sit in their security truck where you park and try and intimidate you and catch you crossing to the road on their little strips of private they buy trying to landlock all the blm.. Glad someone took them to task.
That's what they tried to do to me a few years ago, I just smiled and waved as he approached me to ask questions. I offered him no information accept for my license plate number that he already had! I could hear his truck running for miles up the canyon we were hunting in. I even think he tried to rev it up to get our attention.:LOL:

Interesting. I am betting that there are enough people that have used or supported the Colorado Farm Bureau that value public lands, that this could totally blow back on them. We need to get the word out. I know many members who are small family farm/ranches who are members, but also believe in public land support!

this is a much bigger red flag. They are arguing against public access in the name of environmentalism.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom