High Mountain Elk Backpacking

madtinker

I haven't hunted elk since I was a kid in Idaho 20 years ago. The closest I got there was seeing what was probably a bull elk running away from me. This year I drew a bull tag for New Mexico's Colin Neblett WMA. I've heard its a tough hunt, which makes it easy to draw. That's the whole reason I applied for it - I'll learn more going hunting than I will sitting at home waiting to draw a premium unit. Anyway, the plan worked. I drew the first rifle hunt and am very excited. I am working to get in shape by running a couple of miles several times a week, and I need to add in some strenuous hikes with a 40 lb pack.

Since I have never hunted NM and especially not in the mountains at 10k feet, I'd like to know what weather and temperatures to expect. I plan to backpack in, and pack light. For folks who backpack in, what sleeping bag/pad/tent do you like best? What spec sleeping bag do I need to stay warm, and what other tips do you have for high-mountain camping and hunting in late October?

Also, are there guidelines for what elevation elk like to hang out at what temperatures? Or does it just depend on the amount of snow?

Check out the Luxe tents, reasonably priced and great quality. Add the wood burning stove to the bundle and it makes for a great camp setup in the mountains.

As for sleeping bags any down bag would suffice. Good luck on you’re hunt, post pics of you’re success.

The bigger bulls in late October are pulled off or pulling off the cows and becoming isolated in hidden pockets or private ground where they can recover from the rut. If you are into cows that time of year you will likely only find spikes and rag horns with them.
I've never hunted NM elk so I can't speak with any experience, but I'm sure it can be hot and dry or cold and snowy so you will need to plan accordingly.
Hopefully someone who has had that tag will chime in, but good on you for giving it a go...and make it an adventure!

Adventure is absolutely the name of the game! This is a hunt with a 7% success rate - I would be over the moon to take a even a 2 point bull on my first hunt. Its more about getting out, seeing new country and learning the terrain, but if I get a shot at a legal bull I am taking it.

If you haven’t hunted in 20 years I can just about guarantee you don’t have the right pack. You should probably start there if everything is going on your back both ways for this hunt

I haven't hunted elk since I was a kid in Idaho 20 years ago. The closest I got there was seeing what was probably a bull elk running away from me. This year I drew a bull tag for New Mexico's Colin Neblett WMA. I've heard its a tough hunt, which makes it easy to draw. That's the whole reason I applied for it - I'll learn more going hunting than I will sitting at home waiting to draw a premium unit. Anyway, the plan worked. I drew the first rifle hunt and am very excited. I am working to get in shape by running a couple of miles several times a week, and I need to add in some strenuous hikes with a 40 lb pack.

Since I have never hunted NM and especially not in the mountains at 10k feet, I'd like to know what weather and temperatures to expect. I plan to backpack in, and pack light. For folks who backpack in, what sleeping bag/pad/tent do you like best? What spec sleeping bag do I need to stay warm, and what other tips do you have for high-mountain camping and hunting in late October?

Also, are there guidelines for what elevation elk like to hang out at what temperatures? Or does it just depend on the amount of snow?
Did you draw the North or South? That terrain in there is steep. We’ve been hunting Unit 52 since the late 80’s and it’s at 10’300 feet where we find elk. I drew rifle, Oct. 22-26 this year. That time of year sees snow, then typically melts fast and creates a muddy mess. Four wheel drive and chains just in case are recommended. When you wake up in the morning the temperature seems to average between 7 and 11 degrees. I walk around with a CamelBak, 100 oz of water/ice cube and it usually doesn’t thaw out until around 9:30 a.m. We have a rule, if the fog starts moving in and gets as low as the tree tops we start heading back to the pickup/camp. That fog can get thick where you can’t see 5 yards in front of you, hard to tell if you’re walking up hill or down at times. You could easily fall off of a cliff and kill yourself under those circumstances. Fog like that doesn’t happen often but we’ve experienced it several times. Actually these are now warmer hunts than what they were a decade or so ago. Plan for the worse and hope for the best but above all else have fun!

Late October, 10k feet, and packing light don't mix. Never hunted NM but that time of year anywhere can get hairy. Don't consider going without a stove, getting wet and not being able to get dry is the worst thing that can happen.

And as stated above, be realistic about how far you can go. If your camp is 5 miles in and you kill an elk that's probably 6 trips to get out. You're looking at 60 miles of walking with a load. Not counting the energy you spent hunting.

Bigfoot 1: Wow, that is really great information, thanks for sharing!

idahomuleyhunter: do you mean a folding wood stove, or a propane burner? Do you have a folding stove you like for the back country?

I have my brother and another friend planning to come down and help me find elk and pack out. I did consider going solo, but I have a family to think about.

I am working on updating my gear; a pack is definitely on the list. My hunt code is ELK-1-391, which is for all of Colin Neblett; I haven't decided if I want to go to the north or south half. I have until May 15 to scout before the area closes for the elk calving season; it won't open again until the end of July.

I prefer a folding wood stove to propane. I've used both and I think wood is better at sucking moisture out of a tent. I bought and used a small one from Seek Outside last year, I liked it and it worked well. The other one I've used is so old I couldn't tell you what it is but it's also heavy, used on horse trips. If you get one use it a few times in the yard before you go.

Bigfoot 1: Wow, that is really great information, thanks for sharing!

idahomuleyhunter: do you mean a folding wood stove, or a propane burner? Do you have a folding stove you like for the back country?

I have my brother and another friend planning to come down and help me find elk and pack out. I did consider going solo, but I have a family to think about.

I am working on updating my gear; a pack is definitely on the list. My hunt code is ELK-1-391, which is for all of Colin Neblett; I haven't decided if I want to go to the north or south half. I have until May 15 to scout before the area closes for the elk calving season; it won't open again until the end of July.
Sir if that was my hunt I would spend it north. Scout it and you will see what I mean. Good luck.

Sleeping bag : marmot helium
Pad : I don’t like inflatables z-lite thremarest
Tent : Kelty
- > staying dry is important and water source are key.
Not sure there is an elevation or temperature they hang out?! Post rut bulls are heading for solitude , high cover to go rest.

I'll be going up this weekend for a short scouting trip. My plan is to try covering a lot of ground Friday afternoon to try to find a couple of good glassing spots, then pick the best one to watch early Saturday morning.

I have read that you want to focus on south-facing slopes, but from satellite imagery it looks like the south-facing slopes are heavily timbered and its the north-facing slopes that are nice and grassy. Am I wrong in thinking that I should focus more on forage than which way its facing?

What are your strategies for scouting a new area?

Turn on the topo lines if you can and look for some relatively flat benches up the mountain. Elk love to bed on a steep mountain with a bench carved out covered with timber. Catch them going to and from these spots with your glass.

I'll be going up this weekend for a short scouting trip. My plan is to try covering a lot of ground Friday afternoon to try to find a couple of good glassing spots, then pick the best one to watch early Saturday morning.

I have read that you want to focus on south-facing slopes, but from satellite imagery it looks like the south-facing slopes are heavily timbered and its the north-facing slopes that are nice and grassy. Am I wrong in thinking that I should focus more on forage than which way its facing?

What are your strategies for scouting a new area?
One thing I’ve learned about elk is, they are going to be where you find them. I’ve killed over a dozen elk in Unit 52 all within a quarter mile of each other. Took us a few years a long time ago to figure out how these elk pattern themselves. We finally figured out where they funnel through this canyon. These elk come from the east early in the morning, and head up canyon to us traveling southwest. They traverse between aspen and open meadows. We wait and hope they crest on this bench before proceeding further south, every now and then we have to shoot them down canyon a ways. I always hate that. The sun coming up can be an issue also. Good luck, sounds, like you’re pumped. I’m sure you’ll have a blast.

Do yourself a favor and get these Wilderness Athlete products:
Hydrate and Recover
Altitude Advantage
Midnight Build
You will be amazed at how this stuff will help deal with altitude and hard hunting. I never hunt without them. You will need to rehydrate every day even if its single digits in the morning.

Hydrate and Recover
Altitude Advantage
Midnight Build
You will be amazed at how this stuff will help deal with altitude and hard hunting. I never hunt without them. You will need to rehydrate every day even if its single digits in the morning.
Too easy!

Hydrate and Recover
Altitude Advantage
Midnight Build
I'll look into those, thanks!

Also, I did a short scouting trip Friday and Saturday. Boy, was that an education!

Things I learned:
Everything I've heard about how steep and rugged it is have been accurate. It is as steep as a cow's face with heavy brush, fallen timber, rockslides, cliffs, and just downright treacherous.

It is SUPER dry. I found several likely meadows, except the grass was all long since dead and brown. It is possible that the summer monsoons will green it up, but as of now there is nothing there for elk to eat.

Elk have been all over the places I hiked. Some places more than others, but they have been there. I found lots of sign (mostly poop, a few beds, possibly an old wallow), but the poop was all months or years old. There were a few skeletons, presumably from previous hunter kills, so people have been successful here. I even found a 4-point shed!

Of the two areas I had time to hike, one had several skeletons and an antler shed, but was drier with worse water access. It was also right next to private land (the shed I found was within 20 yards of the fence). It was also a good 2-hour+ hike from the road over several mountains.

The second area I found had more poop, a few beds, more obvious game trails, and actual running water! It had a meadow that was starting to green up on a high ridge, with a draw leading down to a stream. The stream would disappear and reappear down the length of the draw, but in some places it looked pretty healthy. It also had easier road access.

I also got to experience how easy it is to get turned around. Whenever I checked my bearings I found I was heading in the wrong direction, so I had to check often to stay on course.

So my questions are: given that I found areas that have potential but the sign is all old, should I still plan on hunting those areas, or should I be looking for areas with fresher sign? I know elk move around, but is there any way to tell when elk were in that area?

get a very light tent. i like big agnes copper spur 1 person but they have a new Tiger Wall tent that is way lighter. not cheap but worth it.

havent been in the market for sleeping bags in awile, no advice there. beware of the neo air sleeping pad by thermarest. it is freakin loud if you roll around in your sleep alot like i do !!!

ramen and tuna to stay light. clif bars, gorp, a couple treats to keep your spirits up. 2 or 3 headlamps, alarm clock that all run on AAA batteries.

great boots are a must! do your homework and use good socks and liners

find a good water source. beware of it freezing, too.

elk sign means elk were there at some time but hard to bet on if they will be there during your season. late october at 10 K feet can be scary if not life - threatening. be careful out there and good luck!

Don't be to ready to carry a stove. They put the burn ban on and that stove is just a waste. Has happened to me 2yrs in a row in AZ and NM is just as dry right now.

mtinker, I like your enthusiasm. You have already turned this hunt opportunity into an adventure.
As was previously mentioned, late season bulls will be where they can rest and hide. The old scouting sign you found might be the exact spot, or it could be miles away.
If it were my tag, I'd continue to explore other options, and know as many possible hunting spots as you can. I'd also try to be mobile enough to switch locations if your first efforts are not producing fresh sign or elk sightings.
I'm excited to hear how it all turns out.

Sleeping bag: any down sleeping bag by Western Mountaineering or Marmot that hits the temperature zones you'll be experiencing. Their temp ratings are very accurate.
Tent: Take a look at TarpTents. I've owned several and loved them. They are very lightweight.

Big Agnes Copper Spur Tent or SeekOutside tipi. NeoAir Xtherm Pad and Kelty or Z-pack bag depending on temps. Many options out there, buy on sale!

I was able to fit a couple more scouting trips in at the end of summer. Found a couple of promising spots, but nothing I would bet money on.

My buddy that's going with me is all about spot-and-stalk hunting, and I know it can produce results, but its hard to find a good wide-open spot to glass from. There are a couple other strategies I thought might be worth trying, and I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. In this area the timber is pretty dense and I did not find many good vantage points.

Ambush: I found at least one low saddle between two large draws that had decent sign. I could see elk crossing the saddle as they get pushed around. There's also an area I found a couple old kills near the border with private land where they might get pushed. For this I would need to better understand how elk move across the land. Do they stick to cover? Do they run up, down, or sidehill? Do they run upwind or down?

Still hunting: If the rut is over the bulls will be hunkering down to rest. I might be able to find them this way, but seeing them before they see me will be...difficult or impossible. I don't have woodcraft for this, but it sounds fun nonetheless. I aspire to being a deadly shadow, but ain't there yet.

Driving: If I knew approximately where they are, I will have my brother and a friend with me and we could set up a drive. Not my favorite option, but might be worth a try.

Anyone like these options over the spot-and-stalk method that I've read so much about? If you have a favorite, what are your keys to success?

The majority of my kills are ambush. Learn the terrain and movements of the herd. They don’t vary much year to year when you find a micro pocket.

I would pick ambush first and "intercepting" second. Nothing beats time to get ready and range distances, calm down, etc. That said they might not work. At times you need to call. Calling can include raking a tree/bush. IMO a very underused strategy. Many bull elk think a cow call is a hunter. Few bull elk think raking is a hunter.

Great glassing spots are very very important - find them.

Had a great hunt. Started off backpacking in the day before. On opening morning we set up between the main pack of hunters and the private land border, but saw nothing but other hunters. Hiked for miles looking for unpressured elk and found no fresh sign, until my buddy randomly glassed a hill 5+ miles away and said “I found the herd.” 60 elk just sitting on a hillside at the other end of the unit. So that night we packed out to follow the herd. My knee was hurting something awful but we limped out anyway to locate the herd at dawn.

The next day it was snowing with very low visibility, but we eventually spotted them…all on private land. By that point the snow had gotten into my boots and my feet were soaked and freezing, so we hiked out to get dry and come back the next day to see if anything had changed. In the morning we spotted the herd, now 100+ strong with several good bulls, but still down on private land. A kind pack of coyotes started chasing them, but they spooked south instead of coming up to us, and that was the last we saw of them. I spent the last light of the day watching a meadow that had a few beds, but saw nothing. My partners went to glass and found the herd had indeed moved again, back to where we started the week.

Day 4 we decided to see some new country to the east, since finding the herd on the large plateau where we started would be an iffy proposition at best, and with a hundred wary cows it would be tough to get a shot on a bull. We hiked a lot, found a meadow with fresh sign and waited til dark, and all we saw was a bobcat.

Day 5 we started all exhausted, with the accumulated blisters of 40-50 miles of hiking and my knee still stiff and hurting from day 1. We tried anyway, re-checking the spot we had been for anything fresh and found nothing. We checked several other spots for fresh sign and found nothing before hiking out.

Overall it was quite the week. I have never seen so many elk or been so frustrated about a simple fence. Even if we could have got the landowners permission it was outside the hunt unit. The aspens were gold and the oaks were red and the woods were just gorgeous. Apart from the snow, every other day had perfect weather and it was great to be outdoors. I haven’t spent that much time with my brother in almost 15 years. So even though we didn’t tag out, I still consider this a successful hunt. I learned a lot about the area and the local herd. I can draw this unit again next year and have that much better chance of harvesting. The gear I chose worked well and I slept warm every night.

Even though you didn’t harvest sounds like you had an enjoyable time. Sometimes that’s all we get so we might as well enjoy the journey. Thanks for checking back in.

Glad you enjoyed your time in the woods with your brother! NOT all success is measured with kills. Laying eyes on your quarry is much better than nothing!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom