Hiking shoes vs Hunting Boots

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I know that archery season guys will typically wear hiking shoes. I've never owned a pair but do any of you wear these shoes other times? If you know that it is not going to be a "wet" hunt, will you wear shoes instead of waterproof boots? Just curious....I am going to buy some hiking shoes but don't want to break the bank. Any cost effective hiking shoes suggestions? Thanks!

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-16 AT 09:56PM (MST)[p]High end hiking boots have harder souls and built in shanks so when you have extra weight on your back and your walking hard rocky terrain the bottom of your feet don't stone bruise. They are extremely durable but quite a bit heavier than average. I would go with some danners or the likes of that for day hikes or anything not too heavy. I hear really good things about lowa renegades which I consider high end "shoes". I have lowa tibets which are expensive but very good quality boot.

FYI the tibets are not the most comfortable easy going boots for me. They excell at harder hikes but easier situations I grab lighter pairs.

Good one, Hardway. I guess I deserved that. I went out hiking tonight and had to wear my jazzercise shoes because I wasn't going to be in an area that warranted the boots. My shoes are now filthy and there is no way I will be wearing them to yoga manana for fear of hearing the wrath from the ladies, you know?

Just wanted to get some feedback. I appreciate it soj!

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

I have a pair of hiking shoes and they make great movie night shoes!

My feet are too tender to wear a trail runner or hiking "shoe".

Hiking "boots" or hunting boots are a must FOR ME or my feet will stone bruise. Expedition hikers are almost too stiff for everything but the roughest backpack trip but I err on the stiff side to protect my feet.

Heavy boots make me tired but light footwear can put me on the sidelines for days with trashed feet.

So many choices and there is no wrong answer since it's all such a personal decision.

Zeke

My Lowa Tibets are great and no were near as stiff as my old Lowa mountaineering boots.
Have some light hikers,but their just that,walkers or hikers.
I don't wear them very often anymore as rocks & pointy/pokey things are common in NM. OK to go to the store in...lol

I'm a big fan of the Merrell Waterproof Moab Hikers. That's what I've been going with on backpack trips and any hunts when I don't expect too much snow. If I expect to deal with snow, I go with a different boot. I was using hiking shoes a couple years ago, but they just don't last very long and aren't that great for walking sidehills and such because they offer no ankle support. The Moabs are good ones. Very comfortable. They feel lightweight on my feet, aren't too stiff and bulky feeling, but help support when walking on that uneven ground.
Downside - They're waterproof, but only for so long. Seems every boot I've ever owned has let water in at some point.

My solution when it's super wet ... Tingley Men's High Top Work Rubber Stretch Overshoe

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

I could never argue with Founder because we all know the miles he puts in, but I prefer an 8" boot any time I'm hiking in uneven terrain. It goes back to my days as a logger I suppose, and I like the extra ankle support and protection. They are heavier though.

I might get a pair of hiking shoes though if I spent a lot of time in not too difficult terrain. It's up to the individual.

I like the idea of shoes for early hunts and have looked a few times into them. Thing that prevents me is the risk of rolling an ankle and traction. I am not the safest guy on the mountain when considering my own health. I often times do things without thinking it through first and if I do stop to think I always consider it a possibility I can fly out like superman...

So I am afraid I will hurt myself wearing shoes vs a boot.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Very good insight, guys. I appreciate the info.

I have my Zamberlans and Meindls and really like them both. I use them when its wet, cold or a heavy back pack. But I wear the Salomon Speed cross 3 a lot, they have been good. I have also had the Moab hikers and really liked them. The speed freaks were real comfortable but I only got 6 months out of them so I didn't think they were worth the money.

I would guess I'm getting 120 miles or so out of my Moab's. Maybe a bit more. When they get wet, and are hiked hard in, is when they wear out faster. I think I buy a new pair every year.

Solomon XA Pro's are what I've tried for backpacking and even archery hunting when dry, but low tops just don't work for me for anything other than easy trails.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

I've been using Meindl light hikers this year. Unlike most guys, I don't really care much for super light weight. When I hunt I always have a backpack that can handle elk quarters, I have absolutely everything I need to handle an elk or deer in the pack and I wear it on every hunt. Same with my boots, I plan on killing every time I go hunting so I wear and take the appropriate gear. Plus I hate getting stickers and dirt and debris in my shoes/boots, so I typically wear gaiters as well. Gaiters and merrill mids are a great combo. Lighter weight, but you can still trust them to haul heavy and not tear your feet up. I wear gaiters to keep debris out of my boots and also to help with crossing creeks, rivers.

I have really bad feet (hammer toe high arches ect.) and need good boots but I take a lot of shoes when I go hunting especially in wet weather but I take extra insoles that are custom made to help out, good quality socks are a must as well. So just take care of your feet and they will take care of you.

Hunt Hard
Live Free
RIP

I wear the same boot as Founder for my Calif hunting and everyday wear. I get a year out of a pair.

For Colorado late season elk its all about heavy pac boots.

I'm with Founder. I have 4 or 5 pairs of different Merrell boots. Almost all have been good. I did have some of those Moabs or something similar and I would not recommend them for archery. They seem to have real soft soles and they were lots noisier than other boots. Not sure why. And yes, if things are right, I slip those boots off in archery season. But those were really hard to be quiet in.

>I wear the same boot as
>Founder for my Calif hunting
>and everyday wear. I get
>a year out of a
>pair.
>
>For Colorado late season elk its
>all about heavy pac boots.
>

Not this year it isn't. I'm hoping but it's awful warm and dry.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom