History Question (Mule Deer)

10Bears

What year did New Mexico go to the draw system for mule deer. I remember it used to be an OTC and they had 2 zones for the state, a north zone and a south zone, with different seasons.

The whole state hasn’t been that long. It went from Zone to regions, with a few draw only units, certain types of weapons. Then draw only. I’ll look right now.
Maybe it has been that long. Almost 20 years ago.

I think the state was completely draw only for public deer before 2010. I remember buying otc licenses and hunting unit 34 in 2005.

When I was a kid in the late 70’s it was over the counter and you got a deer, bear and turkey for $10.50. The entire month of September for bow, and two weeks in January. 1st rifle hunt was 5 days. Second hunt was 7 days and the 3rd hunt was 11 days. All in November. The entire state was open. In the 80’s it went to north or south. Then to northwest, northeast, southeast or southwest. Then it went to specific units. Then the units got more specific and smaller where we are now. I still remember the monster bucks that were harvested in those late November hunts. I rarely saw elk back then. Wow I’m old and a lot has changed.

When I started hunting (late 1960s early 1970s) Elk season was the month of Oct. and Deer was the month of Nov. Just go buy a licence at the hardware store. Man those were the days. I think Elk and Deer went to a draw in the late 1980s

When I first moved to NM in 2000, I remember being pleasantly surprised the first few years that deer for most of the state was OTC. I think it changed to draw only around 2003 - 2005. Wish I knew back then what I've since learned about some bruiser buck hidey holes. Now that I know where to look, I can't seem to draw a tag to save my life...

I still remember my dad telling me about the glory days of mule deer hunting in New Mexico. Late 50’s to early 70’s. Two buck limit and doe harvesting was available in many places. My dad never really hunted elk. He said you really don’t see many elk back then. I was able to hunt the Jicarilla Rez for mule deer Back then for $50. I used an open sited 30-30 with 150 grain silver tips. Most shots were under 100 yards. If you had an old army jacket with a liner you were golden. Wow have times changed.

When I first moved to NM in 2000, I remember being pleasantly surprised the first few years that deer for most of the state was OTC. I think it changed to draw only around 2003 - 2005. Wish I knew back then what I've since learned about some bruiser buck hidey holes. Now that I know where to look, I can't seem to draw a tag to save my life...

Deer was defantaly draw in the 1990s our group of 4 drew 2b in 92, 94, 96, and 98. Then the word got out and it became impossible to draw. Back then there was no 2c we killed most of our Deer right on the border of C and B. About half B and half C. Man those were some killer hunts. My daughter drew this year and we went over there last week to look around... Found our old haunts and campsites brought back some fond memories. Only drawback is we have to stay in 2b this year. The first two years we took horses.... after we figured it out we left the hay burners at home. Can't wait to go again.
Jack

Bowhunted the 90's because it was OTC, except 96-99 when I lived elsewhere and hunted OTC in that state.

Last 2B tag I had was 2002.

The whole state went to a draw around 2005-06. Several units like the 2’s went to a draw well before that.
It was north and south zones back in 70-80. Around late 80 to early 90’s it went to regions( 3 units together but still OTC

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom