Hit the Elk and Sheep Lottery

972Elk

I figured I'd draw the elk tag. I burned 17 points and drew the Sled Springs archery tag. The big surprise was when I saw that I drew the South Central Sheep tag!! I was in shock and denial until I was able to pay for the sheep tag! This is my first sheep tag ever!!

Can anyone recommend a guide or outfitter for the sheep hunt or the elk hunt? Do you think I need a guide for either hunt?

I plan on heading up to the sheep unit in a couple of weeks to check it out.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Congrats!! Although I can't help on that specific sheep unit, my 14 year old son drew the Warner unit tag a couple of years back. My best advice is to scout as much as you can and get good at judging size....this could be your only shot at a sheep!! The other tag holders with us shot too early and missed out on a few bigger rams. We waited and ended up with a great 166" sheep!!
Good Luck to you...

BTW, the meat is AMAZING!

First off, Congrats Jim.

I have a lot of info about the area and know the best guide for the area. Let me know if you still have the need and I will give you all the information that I have.

Please message me and I will get you my phone number as we can touch base.

You don't need a guide for either but my partner spent almost every weekend down there after the draw to figure out the Sheep. If you go the Sheep guide route, do your homework, not all are created equal.

Thanks for responding Looking for 30. Hopefully I'll be tasting some sheep. You got a pic of your son's ram? I'd love to see it!

A friend of a friend had that sheep tag 3 or 4 years ago and killed a 167" ram. He raced a guided hunter to get in position for a shot. My understanding is the sheep hang out in about 5 different areas that the biologist can show you at the sheep class. Hire a guide if you can't scout. All the tag holders should know where to look, a guide will know the best rams. I applied for that tag, I am 0-38 for Oregon sheep draws.

If you've never hunted sheep before, knowing a big ram from a medium sized animal will be impossible to know. We learned a lot on our scouting trips for my sons Rocky MT BH sheep for Lookout Mt, but without help from someone who knows how to judge sheep we would've been lost!

Best of luck & congrats

muleyman

>Any report on either of your
>two tags?

I do know that 972 did fill his sheep tag with a nice ram a few days into the hunt. Not sure how the elk hunt went. Hopefully he'll check back in with pics and a full report.

Hey Guys,

Well, both of my hunts were awesome! I hunted the sheep first. I was not able to make up until August 20th. This worked out pretty good as the other 2 tag holders got there sheep on the opening weekend. Meaning, I had the entire unit to myself to hunt. I met some incredible people during my hunt! From the biologist, to antelope hunters, to guys scouting for the next sheep hunt. Great people!!!

I decided to do the hunt on my own. So, my lifelong friend and hunting partner did this hunt on our own. This was our first sheep hunt ever. We hunted for 5 days before I got to shoot my ram.

On our first stalk, on the first day, we got caught in downpour. Yes, downpour! Rain gear, what rain gear, were hunting in the desert, right! Well, we got soaked! We were 200 yards from a ram but it's was storming so bad I couldn't tell if he was a mature ram or not. The next day we went back in there and i blew the stalk.

We switched mountain ranges and found a band of 7 rams. There were 2 mature Rams in the group. We could not get on them that day or in the evening. We went back the next morning and found them. Finally, they were in a position where we could make a play on them. About an hour later, we were within 200 yards of the band. I found my ram and was able to get him with one shot!

35037image.jpeg

What an incredible hunt and experience! It is something I'll never forget!

I didn't make it up elk hunting until the 12th of September. I had some great information provided to me to get me started on my hunt.

Upon arrival, we got into a few elk, found some water and wallows. We heard some bugles. We saw 6 bulls on the trip. I called in 2 bulls into under 30 yards but I was not able to get shots on either bull.

The first bull was a really nice 6!point and he hung for quite a while. That was a heart pounding second bull came in on a string but stopped behind some limbs. I called him back 2 more times but we were in the thick timber. Another great encounter. I didn't end up getting a bull but we had a great hunt. That was the first time i was in that country and it was awesome!
89531image.jpeg

That's awesome that you had a great time. You did very well on that sheep, he's a nice one. Thanks for sharing.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Back
Top Bottom