Hogs in N Utah question

hossblur

Long Time Member
There was a sign out at Pintail WMA to contact DWR if you saw hogs.

Why was this? Has there been recent sightings?

Why was this? No reason at all. Has there been recent sightings? No it was just a random sign they installed to confuse you.

Mission accomplished ?

I'd actually forgot about the sign.

We were out watching swans and snow geese and my youngest remembered it. I didn't have an answer why or how.

For all that don't know Utahs game populations,Wild hogs are to my knowledge,Non existent!!!

They are "slowly" migrating into several rocky mountain states. Most states are doing their best to make people aware so they get contacted right away. Wild hogs will be in every lower 48 state within the next 10 years is the prediction.

Bring them on. Hogs are fun to hunt. Once established the UDWR could not F up the population. They can't keep enough mulies alive.
Add some whitetails and maybe it would be a good thing?

They are "slowly" migrating into several rocky mountain states. Most states are doing their best to make people aware so they get contacted right away. Wild hogs will be in every lower 48 state within the next 10 years is the prediction.
A while back I was reading old hunting magazine and found an article from 1998 ( i believe field and stream) that said by the year 2020 wild hogs would be in every state in the lower 48 and every providence of Canada.

I also remember as a kid that all wild elephants were going to be gone in 25 years and same with the rainforest. That was 30 years ago :)

There was a ranch around Corinne that did exotic goat and pig hunts, at least I remember seeing it somewhere.
Also heard the fish and game killed some on Fremont after one of the past owners put them out there.
Do know for sure that a landowner on promontory shot one years ago. Can't recall if there was ever a resolution to where it came from.

A while back I was reading old hunting magazine and found an article from 1998 ( i believe field and stream) that said by the year 2020 wild hogs would be in every state in the lower 48 and every providence of Canada.

I also remember as a kid that all wild elephants were going to be gone in 25 years and same with the rainforest. That was 30 years ago :)
Yeah, plenty of those forecasts are intended to create change so they don't happen. The hog issue has been slowed but they are still expanding and now some are coming from Canada south so it seems inevitable. Hope the guys making the forecasts are wrong.

I’ve noticed the signs as well. I’ve heard a few have been spotted in the marsh but not many. I do know from personal experience that there are wild pigs in southern Utah along the Dirty Devil. I know the DWR has tried to get rid of them but I doubt they can. It’s surprisingly thick in a lot of the ag areas along that river.

I’ve noticed the signs as well. I’ve heard a few have been spotted in the marsh but not many. I do know from personal experience that there are wild pigs in southern Utah along the Dirty Devil. I know the DWR has tried to get rid of them but I doubt they can. It’s surprisingly thick in a lot of the ag areas along that river.

We were watching snow geese and swans before dark out there last weekend and I thought I saw a piglet, but it was darkish and my truck binos suck. I said something and my boy reminded me about the signs. But I couldn't remember if they were for the hogs they shot coming off freemont years ago, or if there had been a more recent sightings. Still not sure what I saw, and didn't want to call DWR and start a fuss not knowing.

You're Starting To See Things Hossy!:D

We were watching snow geese and swans before dark out there last weekend and I thought I saw a piglet, but it was darkish and my truck binos suck. I said something and my boy reminded me about the signs. But I couldn't remember if they were for the hogs they shot coming off freemont years ago, or if there had been a more recent sightings. Still not sure what I saw, and didn't want to call DWR and start a fuss not knowing.

Yep. Yep. And killer bees were going to spread across the U.S. And all the frogs were going to be dead. Lot of $hit to keep track of! Or not……

I killed a hog (actually was an Old Mac Donald had a farm kinda pig) back in 1999 in the Mountain home area of Southwest Desert while bow hunting elk.

There are also hogs along the virgin river.

Yes. There have been recent sightings in the marshes around the north end of the GSL. Ogden Bay WMA is the furthest south I have heard of them being seen. Utah lake has had some over the years. I know some have been seen and killed around the filmore area as well. They are starting to show up. And I’m sure more will arrive over time.

mtnrunner260, post 313 is correct. Several years ago there was some dude, I have forgot his name, who was selling hog hunts in West Corrine. He would sell a hunt/hunts for Wednesday mornings. Then he would go to the Tuesday cattle auction and buy killer hogs and take them to West Corrine. Then Wednesday morning, they would go kill them. I doubt any of them ever escaped but I guess it's possible. I doubt a pen raised hog would stray very far. I know all this because I watched him buy the hog and I know the hunter(???) who shot it the next morning for $350

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom