Hola Amigos

joesikora

Long Time Member
I want to draw NM this year I think I’ll be good to go after my two spine surgeries
elk I’ll go unit 51 bow, rifle,
pronghorn is unit 52 a good one? Rifle
should I go 2B or 2C for Muleys are where would you suggest I can do rifle
what about oryx where should I try for? Rifle
desert sheep rifle
big horn sheep I can’t remember if you only go for one each year
bear unit 52 OTC? Or is there one I should draw for?

mozey I’ll send you a PM

thanks my brother

I like your elk choices. Those are fun ones.
Pronghorn 52 is only muzzleloader and bow, no riffle hunt. There are lots of good antelope units in NM.
Both 2B and 2C are good hunts IF you can draw.
Any On Range Oryx hunt will be a blast.
You can apply for both Desert and Rocky on the same application.
If you are going to be in bear country it is always a good idea to have a bear tag.

Oryx on range.
Bear OTC if you are selected for your for elk bow hunt as the bow hunters get the jump on bear from Sept 1st - Sept 24th at least thins year. Any draw bear hunts are units that border Colorado and are spring hunts.

I want to draw NM this year I think I’ll be good to go after my two spine surgeries
elk I’ll go unit 51 bow, rifle,
pronghorn is unit 52 a good one? Rifle
should I go 2B or 2C for Muleys are where would you suggest I can do rifle
what about oryx where should I try for? Rifle
desert sheep rifle
big horn sheep I can’t remember if you only go for one each year
bear unit 52 OTC? Or is there one I should draw for?

mozey I’ll send you a PM

thanks my brother
Text me man! I’ll help you out! You can leave 2b rifle off ??

nevr 2b but 2c, 2a and 7 yes!
I killed a nice 4x4 on a 2b muzzy hunt back in 08 I think

A4F3C1AB-909D-4D65-8CBD-6B313FF15B90.jpeg

Joe, sent you a PM. Will try again. Having trouble with my account?
In any event since all Oryx areas have already been identified as being great previously, do not apply for the first hunts in September as the temperatures are brutal and you have to really break down your game and ice quickly.
I would opt for a later hunt with cooler temps!
The hunting is just as good irregardless of which hunt you apply for and the success rates are high for all hunts.
The biggest problem is drawing the tag!

Thanks for the info tokla, yeah drawing the tags can be a problem
LOL!
I did draw 5 tags in 4 years in a row and one was the Sargents WMA which early rifle elk hunt. I think they stopped letting NR draw for that hunt
I hadn’t applied in NM in several years then I drew for elk in 51 bow hunt and drew.
Watch I won’t draw a tag for years now

Joe, sent you a PM. Will try again. Having trouble with my account?
In any event since all Oryx areas have already been identified as being great previously, do not apply for the first hunts in September as the temperatures are brutal and you have to really break down your game and ice quickly.
I would opt for a later hunt with cooler temps!
The hunting is just as good irregardless of which hunt you apply for and the success rates are high for all hunts.
The biggest problem is drawing the tag!

Also, just like any other herd animal, they will group up more in colder months. They seem to be more spread out in the warmer months

You'd have a different opinion about it if you had a later season. Also, can't compare it to today's situation, numbers are down everywhere.

2C hosts a lot of "cull bucks" these days, big 3's and 3x4's.
But RR my gosh the people i saw on the first hunt , and then i cant imagine on a late hunt where twice as many people? How could you even find a spot to park?

But RR my gosh the people i saw on the first hunt , and then i cant imagine on a late hunt where twice as many people? How could you even find a spot to park?

The intent on the later hunts is to hunt more of the migration, spreading hunters out more.

Like I said, it's not an apples to apples comparison with the current situation and the past or "normal" situation.

NM's problem is they set the hunting rules in 5 year increments and don't change them if they need to be changed based on weather conditions and other influencing factors throughout the year.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom