Home made magneto speed mount

JPickett

Long Time Member
After getting some incomplete readings yesterday at the range with my magno speed I decided to go to work on a mount. Bonus of this is I can get it close enough to read my suppressor ever time and I won’t get point of impact shift so I’ll be burning less rounds on load development.

Just a old bi pod base, a selfie stick, some go pro mounts and a little head scratching. Hitting the range tomorrow and work out the bugs

B7F8B267-B6BB-4725-A813-4B6C476388E9.jpeg

D329E9BF-A49F-4CD4-9D58-DFB597196BF3.jpeg

0DF49CCB-BB65-4CF9-943C-5C37921565BF.jpeg

EC38A966-96BF-455B-A2BF-A7D19C06A96D.jpeg

Nice! I noticed with my magneto speed the only point of impact shift I was getting was on my standard barrel guns. The guns with carbon wrapped barrels I was not noticing any point of impact shift. Still a great idea to get away from directly mounting to the barrel.

Last edited:
I didn’t have much on this one either but I never used it after finding velocity so I would know exactly what my groups were doing. Now I can do both for every shot. I think it’s going to be pretty good

This did require me chopping about an inch of plastic off my magno. Only way to get it close enough with the suppressor. No going back, hope it works..

Pretty innovative. I think I like that idea better than being attached to the barrel. Only thing that you may want to watch is the movement of the sensor. I can see the possibility of of it deflecting into the path of the bore either by prolonged recoil or normal movement by bumping into it on the bench. You tried it out and it works so that’s good, maybe just keep an eye on that.

We checked after each shot. Load development so not in a hurry. Even slow mowed it on the first shot to see how it moved. It can only move away on the shot with muzzle blast. So shoot, check, adjust about every second shot and it’s good to go. I’m actually really happy with it. Like getting it off the barrel so I can record every shot not just velocity then grouping. Think it’s going to save some powder on development

Another idea if it turns out to be not rigid enough is to mirror what you did exactly to the other side and that way there will be two rods parallel to each other and you can connect them at the middle and end near the front with the same selfie stick tube material. Maybe have some diagonal bracing at the front to combat any left or right shear forces.

I love it!

I never liked the thought of hanging something off the end of my barrel and HOPE it shot the same place.... which it might or might not.

Looks to be innovative and effective! Well done!!!

Zeke

There’s a few places that make mounts. Where I got the idea. They run around 200 bucks. Mine was stuff I had laying around and about 80 cents worth of bolts from the hardware store

After getting some incomplete readings yesterday at the range with my magno speed I decided to go to work on a mount. Bonus of this is I can get it close enough to read my suppressor ever time and I won’t get point of impact shift so I’ll be burning less rounds on load development.

Just a old bi pod base, a selfie stick, some go pro mounts and a little head scratching. Hitting the range tomorrow and work out the bugs

View attachment 80341

View attachment 80342

View attachment 80343

View attachment 80344
Very nice! Great choice in beer also...

Update. I like the idea so much of having this off my barrel that I’m always going to target shoot with it on. So needed to be more robust before I take it out to the dessert for some long range load development. Sacrificed a tripod I don’t use any more. Things rock solid now

2C3673C5-3109-445E-B287-0EFD5FF57683.jpeg

D65E49EC-7BE3-4111-AE6A-BF84E590CB05.jpeg

Keep it off the barrel so it doesn’t affect point of impact down range. On some rifles I’ve seen it move as much as an 1 1/2” at 100. Always just shot for velocity node then took it off and worked on groups. Now I can do both, save some components, gather more data. Win win

no....wtf do would you want to tolerate dealing with all that crap??....when in the field?

Works perfect. I don’t believe homer thought that. He’s just grumpy at scoffing at my gadgetry. To be fair the level I take load development and shooting is kinda silly. The load I’m on right now tells me at 800 yards my point of impact variance will be 1 1/4” n ES. That’s all great, but I’m shooting coyotes with this thing off sticks at like 120 max when I’m calling. It’s what I think is fun to do with re loading though so I kinda nerd out on it

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom