Honest and legit feedback appreciated

Luke

Thanks for considering: looking for recommendations on a few things as I am not from the west so gear can differ a bit, thoughts on brands of puffies, rain gear and a back country tent? Also any feed back on Christensen rifle with carbon barrel? Thanks again

Puffies? Sounds like fun but I don't know the term unless it describes the chub I awoke with this morning.... then that's a good thing at my age!

I like most things that King's Camo puts out by way of clothing and I use an array of their products.

I like my Big Agnes tents.

I'd rather have a Weatherby light weight in a standard cartridge than a Christensen Arms rifle... if I had to have a factory rifle....which I don't.

A lot will depend on your budget, accuracy expectation and ability to achieve accuracy so maybe I'm being too picky for you.

Zeke

The CA rifle is great, but it is really only lethal in the 6.5 Creedmore caliber. The rest of the calibers are more likely to leave you tracking a wounded animal. Luckily, you are in the market for a "puffy" to keep you warm as you wander aimlessly in the hills looking for your wounded spike. As far as the tent and rain gear go, wrong forum. We all like the nearest Holiday Inn with continental breakfasts. Good luck in your search.

Sample size of one. The Christensen Arms ridge line in 26 nosler was the most disappointing of the many rifles that I’ve owned and shot. Being talked to like like I was a dummy by their customer support was almost as disappointing. They told me I needed to “break the rifle in” which I would have been happy to do if it would have been able to chamber a fuggin’ cartridge. Not qualified to comment on any of the other stuff.

At least now I know what a puffy is! Thanks!

I really do learn something new every day.

I learned some new swear words last night when I dropped one of my totally prepp'd and cleaned 280 AI brass and it dented the case mouth. I hate when that happens! Damnation!

Zeke

Thanks for considering: looking for recommendations on a few things as I am not from the west so gear can differ a bit, thoughts on brands of puffies, rain gear and a back country tent? Also any feed back on Christensen rifle with carbon barrel? Thanks again
The answers to all of these vary wildly based on where/what/when you plan to use them.

The answers to all of these vary wildly based on where/what/when you plan to use them.
I never thought of wearing a puffy jacket. Don't like the term puffy but use it since "down jacket" isn't as cool to say. I started with a cheap Gerry 650 fill from Costco.....$40. Used it a lot for taking the dog outside to do her business before we went to bed. Turns out....I really like these jackets. Lightweight as can be.....very warm which was super surprising. Mistakes made while wearing puffy is that walking the dog with a puffy actually makes me sweat...even in colder weather. I bought a Kuiu 800 fill and haven't really put it to the test yet. Hopefully I will soon. I had some money to burn so I bought one.

Sorry....didn't mean to reply to johnnycake.....

These questions are really hard to answer without a budget in mind - Other than the CA Rifle. I would look at the newer Weatherby Backcountry models or a savage lightweight with the proof barrel (they will shoot good anyway) but I do not care for the savage actions and stock. If buying stuff new try to sign up for PRO discount thing if you qualify or get a family member to that is eligible. For shirts and socks buy merino, period if you can swing it. Also with expensive hunting clothes buy solids in earth tones brown/green/tan that you can you wear daily also. That stuff ( merino especially) you will want to wear hiking etc. Camo is for humans, really not huge to animals (my opinion). Movement is what gets you seen and busted. Did I mention buy merino shirts and socks.

Puffies - The Kuiu ones are nice and also Stone Glacier (again budget? ) Just to have one when it gets cold- I have one from Midway believe or not that I got on sale for around $50 a few years best bang for your buck "puffie" I have.

Raingear - Buy good quality lightweight stuff. Some of the non- hunting brands make great stuff also Mtn Hardwear etc.

Tents - See above

I threw in some extra comments sorry

I never thought of wearing a puffy jacket. Don't like the term puffy but use it since "down jacket" isn't as cool to say. I started with a cheap Gerry 650 fill from Costco.....$40. Used it a lot for taking the dog outside to do her business before we went to bed. Turns out....I really like these jackets. Lightweight as can be.....very warm which was super surprising. Mistakes made while wearing puffy is that walking the dog with a puffy actually makes me sweat...even in colder weather. I bought a Kuiu 800 fill and haven't really put it to the test yet. Hopefully I will soon. I had some money to burn so I bought one.

Sorry....didn't mean to reply to johnnycake.....
No worries! But I too am a Costco Gerry $40 puffy user. That plus my Kuiu Yukon jacket has been more than enough for many winter hunts sand ice fishing trips up here in AK.

Hard pass on a Christiansen Arms rifle. Same with Fierce. Both high priced junk. Same with scopes from Leupold, Vortex, Burris, Swarovski, Zeiss… I could keep going.

Buy Tikka or Win M70 for factory rifles. Buy Seekins or Proof for factory plus. Buy Trijicon or Nightforce scopes.

As for clothes, just buy what you like from Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite or Stone Glacier if you want the fancy stuff. Buy earth tones from the REI outlet and you’ll have all you need if you want to save money. Camo is not necessary.

Tent, back to the REI sale rack. I just bought a Mtn Hardware tent I really like. Stick with any of the well known brands. When in doubt an MSR Hubba is always a good choice.

Buy a Stone Glacier, Kifaru or Exo Mtn backpack. Whichever one has the features you want and fits you best. Nothing wrong with an REI outlet jobber here too.

Boots, buy what works for your feet. No one can tell you what is best. Totally subjective.

Binoculars, buy the best you can afford. Swaro, Zeiss, Leica is worth it. But you can also get by just fine with a $500 pair of Meopta or Zeiss Conquests.

Hope that helps.

My own opinion. Remington 700 sps. 270 wsm or 300 wsm. Killed many elk, deer, desert bighorn with those two calibers and guns. Factory nosler ammo. Leupold VXL, 5.5x56 great field of view.
All can be bought locally.
Eberlestock pack, crispi boots, stone glacier outerwear if you are hunting in low temperatures.
If you can find a scorpion blackout tent from an army surplus store. They are great imo.
Kings came make great rain gear.

I'd say you can go cheap on everything you listed and be okay, EXCEPT for the Backcountry tent. Not fun being in a bad storm with a worthless shelter. If you want floorless go seek outside or PEAX tipi. I have floorless and floored. If you can only choose 1, I would go with the floored. Hilleberg is the best I have used, also have a badlands that I love. Kuiu, stone glacier, big Agnes will all do just fine!

I have mostly Kuiu clothes, including rain gear, and "Puffy" which I always wear in the cold (really packable). We also have Kuiu packs and a backpack tent which works well for my son and I.
Kuiu is pricey but really high quality.
No comments on CA rifles. Never owned one.

Hunted once with a CA Ridgeline in 300 PRC. Dead is dead! One shot on a Nilgai. They are tough animals.

Sample size of one. The Christensen Arms ridge line in 26 nosler was the most disappointing of the many rifles that I’ve owned and shot. Being talked to like like I was a dummy by their customer support was almost as disappointing. They told me I needed to “break the rifle in” which I would have been happy to do if it would have been able to chamber a fuggin’ cartridge. Not qualified to comment on any of the other stuff.
Were you trying to chamber reloaded cases that were shot in another gun? I had that problem with a CA Ridgeline 7 mm RM. I found that my Ridgeline could chamber new brass just fine, and I can successfully reload brass that was shot in the Ridgeline, but it would not chamber my older brass that was shot in my old Ruger. No amount of resizing helped, I tried everything you can imagine. Part of the problem was related to stretching just above the ”belt“. In any case, the CA Ridgeline shot much better than any other gun I have had so I have been very happy with it. Admittedly, I do not have any other guns that cost $1800, so I was definitely expecting something better. Unfortunately, I have a a large amount of old brass that will not work. That old brass still chambered in the old Ruger, but it was not an accurate gun. I wasted a lot of time trying to develop loads that would shoot accurately in the Ruger, so I learned a few more lessons the hard way.

As to the main subject of this thread. Having the right rifle and knowing how to use it will be very important for hunting in the western U.S. I’d rather go out hunting with a great rifle that I was familiar with, wearing blue jeans, than having anything less than my best rifle decked out in Kuiu or Sitka gear. I do like having nice gear, but rifle, scope, and high quality optics (binoculars and spotting scope) should be high priority.

Were you trying to chamber reloaded cases that were shot in another gun? I had that problem with a CA Ridgeline 7 mm RM. I found that my Ridgeline could chamber new brass just fine, and I can successfully reload brass that was shot in the Ridgeline, but it would not chamber my older brass that was shot in my old Ruger. No amount of resizing helped, I tried everything you can imagine. Part of the problem was related to stretching just above the ”belt“. In any case, the CA Ridgeline shot much better than any other gun I have had so I have been very happy with it. Admittedly, I do not have any other guns that cost $1800, so I was definitely expecting something better. Unfortunately, I have a a large amount of old brass that will not work. That old brass still chambered in the old Ruger, but it was not an accurate gun. I wasted a lot of time trying to develop loads that would shoot accurately in the Ruger, so I learned a few more lessons the hard way.
Wouldn’t chamber factory loaded ammo, or hand loads with virgin cases that were sized with a LCD. Then after they “fixed” it the chamber was so long that once fired brass would have experienced case head separation on the next firing. An absolute POS rifle. I’ve built better myself in my garage with a harbor freight vise and a barrel nut wrench.

You don’t want to be wearing a puffy if your hunting oak brush!

Get some Carhartts. The Oak bush will run from you!

REI 650 puffy jacket for $60 is nice but the puffies are fragile! Don't walk near any brush while wearing it. It is for sitting in camp and for shoving in your pack (it packs nicely!)

REI garage sale is a great place for used tents, sleeping bags and pads. Big Agnes, MSR, REI, lots of good stuff for reasonable prices, be sure to read the "reason for return " tag.

Spend most of your money on boots and binocs. I use Hanwag and Lowa boots and vortex binos.

I like kings camo pattern, but sadly their quality seems to have gone to sht.

I know I'm going to catch some heat from some of the geezers on here who have to either take a blue pill to get fired up, or log onto the MM forums. But I really have taken a liking to sitka. Yeah yeah, they are dumb expensive, but once you wear them and put them through the ringer, you will know why they cost that much. COMFORTABLE AS HELL!!!! Durable, decent camo pattern, almost all their stuff is either water resistant or proof. Depending on the time of year you are here, I would for certain take cold and warm weather gear and always keep a rain jacket with you, even if it's a thinner water proof one.

As far as tents and such, I couldn't really aid any there. Just get a really decent rated sleeping bag that can go to lower Temps. You can always cool off, but you can't always warm up!

I'm frugal in my spending , I love Kings camo. Just purchased a fleece lightweight jacket, tried it on checking size, now I'm wearing it all the time.
Rifles, for a factory gun its Tikka , absolutely love my 6.5 Veil Wideland.
No opinion on Puffy`s , not in my wheel house .

At least now I know what a puffy is! Thanks!

I really do learn something new every day.

I learned some new swear words last night when I dropped one of my totally prepp'd and cleaned 280 AI brass and it dented the case mouth. I hate when that happens! Damnation!

Zeke
Oh Fuudddggee!

Backpacking? Big Agnes tent, puffin, rei brand 85 liter bp, water filtration, bp stove, broke in pair of lowa renegade gtx boots. ect. Youtube has video how to pack lite. Car camping is a no brainer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom