Honest opinions on Unit 90 WY Antelope

elkhunterUT

Very Active Member
Looking for honest opinions from anyone that has hunted Wyoming antelope in unit 90-1, 90-2, or both preferrably. It looks like I have close to enough points (I have 4) to draw the 90-1 tag this year judging by last years draw results. Should I go for this tag or hold out for 90-2 for another year or two? Are the units different enough in quality and quantity of bucks to hold out or do you recommend going with 90-1?

Any info that you would be willing to share on the 90-1 and 90-2 hunts would be much appreciated -feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks,
Cory

I can't really give you any information on the units as far as quality, but I would be checking very closely on what the weather is doing in that unit this year before you risk your points. I have heard the weather down in the lower part of the state in some spots has been the worst in five years, so that is something you may need to take into consideration if you haven't done so already.

EH,

You've missed the most important part of your inquiry.

What size of buck are you looking for.........and what are your expectations of your hunt?

WhiskeyMan,
You're right - I should have added a little more detail on what I am looking for.

I would like the solid chance at a 75-80" buck. I have killed a couple smaller antelope and would like to burn my points on a unit that gives me a chance to kill something a bit bigger in that range. My expectations for the hunt would include an area that would be conducive to bowhunting early (good terrain for stalking, possibly waterholes/blind hunting) with a return on the rifle hunt for a chance at a good buck (75-80") without a ton of pressure from other hunters. I would also like an area that I could camp in.

elkhunterUT---Look for an email from me in the next hour or so. It will be under "Wyoming Goat" in case you have a spam blocker to keep it out of your inbox.

Thanks TOPGUN - you are a class act sportsman all the way! I responded to your email. Let me know if you ever need help with any Utah elk or deer units.

EH,

I have experience in the area. But....can you tell me what is the diff between 90-1 and 90-2?

WM

WhiskeyMan,

The only difference is that they are split by a Highway (highway 191 if I remember correctly). 90-2 is the west portion of the unit to the west of hwy 191 and 90-1 is the east portion of the unit to the east of hwy 191.

Looking at the G&F map, the West side also looks like it's at least twice as much area as the other side.

Hunted it (90-2) last year. 3 of us had tags, 2 14" bucks and a 15". We were pretty selective and shot the bigger bucks that we had seen over 2 weekends. Drove a lot of countyr without seeing a goat. Most were around the oilfield. The bucks we shot were no monsters but they were very nice (good prongs, mass etc) and will look very nice on the wall.

Chicken hunted in 90-1 in between goat hunt and saw quite a few gaots but it seemed bucks were not as big.

The west side has lots of oilfield activity, the east side has more antelope per mile, most of the Antelope areas around here are not much different, hunt hard,judge well and 75 to 80 is possible. The average size of antelope depends on the individual year, its a bit of a guessing game and this is looking like a tough year as far as weather goes , but of course it could change and get nice ?

I was also looking at this unit. The game warden suggested the west side of the highway. He said winter wasn't real bad there yet. He said east side had more agriculture and water. Didn't make sense to me. Said if I hunted I'd have a decent chance at a 14-15" goat. I'm still trying to decide on 90, 67 or 74.

What do you mean, didn't make sense to you? more water is the reason there is a higher density of pronghorns on the east side, the Wind River range has lots of water flowing out from the high country, which means meadows, private land and agriculture. FYI area 74 can be a muddy mess during bad weather, but sept. is usually nice.

Exactly, that's what I thought. He directing me to the west but it made more sense to me to hunt where there was more water and pastures.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom