Hope I get lucky!!! Colorado left over!

elks96

Long Time Member
So I have officially claimed
My spot at the local vendor for a chance at the tag tomorrow! I am not looking at a top tag but definitely a good mid tag!

My wait time started at 19 hours and counting! There were already people waiting in line at Cabelas and Sportsmens Warehouse!

I heard about people already at Dow offices as well! Here is hoping I get my shot!

I am so happy I will shoot the first posscutter I see!

So all the while this leftover reissue was a ploy to get us to stand in line @ retail stores? Does CPW get any kickback from purchases made by linestanders?

More sense? There are some tag that take residents years to draw on the list and non residents almost 20 years to draw. Seriously waiting in line for a day for a chance at a great tag is easy!

The only way too get one of those top tags is to be lucky! But you can not be lucky if you do not put yourself in that position!

Besides I have nothing else going on and it is actaully really relaxing sitting and watching the world pass!

Good luck, I'd wait in line as well if I lived in Colorado. Personally I think the it's a crock putting hard to draw tags in the leftover pile. They should be issued to the next potential hunter in line after the draw and perhaps help with the point creep.

>Good luck, I'd wait in line
>as well if I lived
>in Colorado. Personally I think
>the it's a crock putting
>hard to draw tags in
>the leftover pile. They should
>be issued to the next
>potential hunter in line after
>the draw and perhaps help
>with the point creep.

They do that with hybrid tags only! The problem is the amount of work required to do it! I would point out as well there is nothing that will help point creep other than ditching the system and going to a random system! Do you really think that 2 tags will have any effect on creep at all?

At least now the tags are being used! It also means more
Money etc.

I would say that a raffle drawing for the turned in tags would
Make more
Money! Say $5 a person for each species then you are given a number and if you are lucky they have a tag!

If anything tomorrow will result in me having what I have right now and that is no deer tag!

Know a few who will be waiting in line as well tomorrow. Good luck elks!!

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-16 AT 09:19PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-16 AT 09:15?PM (MST)

It would be quite easy for the tags to be reissued to the next in line. I believe it is Utah that will re issue a tag to the next in line. Quite a simple process that in many cases would would make a measurable improvement in the point creep. For example, without checking the 4th season unit 67 deer permit stats, this one tag probably accounts for 20 percent of the nonresident allotment and requires 14+ points. This leftover tag could have removed one more applicant for this hunt next year. It does not sound like much until you consider how few tags there are. Good luck tomorrow.

By the way, I'd bet you anything most of these premium tags get picked up by some well placed game and fish employees. First come first serve is meant to be gamed while fooling you into believing you have a chance.

Garbage they reissue the harder draw tags without loss of points. Not buying the too much cost argument. Just keep a list with the next inline from the draw and contact them 3 times with a 24 hour response deadline. Then the CDOW gets the license fee twice and the point issue becomes a nonissue. Would be lucky to get through on the phone tomorrow, but gotta try.

>Hopefully the guys in northern colorado
>got more sense.

Slept half the night in my own bed so I can work most of the day and I'm first in line at my licensing agent. Glad i was right. Too bad we can't control the vote as well, instead of following cali down the drain. Good luck fellers!

Well it has all settled out.

Sorry but sending a tag to the next person inline creates a huge issue. If that next person has a 2nd choice tag, they turn that tag in then get the tag, but then the next guy gets asked if they want the tag the last guy turns in etc.

Also they have to draw a line some place. Sorry but one unit 76 elk tag and 3 unit 63 tags will not change point creep at all. I like the system because now we at least have a chance. I sat in a reclining lawn chair for 19 hours. I pissed in a jug one time last night and come this morning I walked in and got a deer tag for unit I hunted as a child but have not been able to hunt for 14 years due to points building. For me it is a success.

I was on the states sportsmen group that pushed for draw tags to be reissued. I put in tons of hours on the committee to get the rules and process changed. I drove to meetings across the state with several other great sportsmen who wanted to be active and see change. As a result of all that work, I now get to take my 6 year old son for a week long hunt in one of the better units in the state.

Sorry but I like the system and like way it went. I called ahead to several places to figure out how they were going to place people and finally decided that the local store was where I wanted to be...

On the flip side next time I will be bringing a folding cot. A lawn chair is a little rough on a guy.

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-16
>AT 09:19?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-16
>AT 09:15?PM (MST)

>
>It would be quite easy for
>the tags to be reissued
>to the next in line.
>I believe it is Utah
>that will re issue a
>tag to the next in
>line. Quite a simple process
>that in many cases would
>would make a measurable improvement
>in the point creep. For
>example, without checking the 4th
>season unit 67 deer permit
>stats, this one tag probably
>accounts for 20 percent of
>the nonresident allotment and requires
>14+ points. This leftover tag
>could have removed one more
>applicant for this hunt next
>year. It does not sound
>like much until you consider
>how few tags there are.
>Good luck tomorrow.
>
>By the way, I'd bet you
>anything most of these premium
>tags get picked up by
>some well placed game and
>fish employees. First come first
>serve is meant to be
>gamed while fooling you into
>believing you have a chance.
>

I know a guy who got the 76 elk tag and a unit 62 2nd buck tag. He has no connections to DOW and I drew a 22 3rd buck. No connections.

Why does everyone have to be sore losers? Play the game and sometimes you win and sometime you loose. There were hundreds if not thousands of people in line today trying to draw a handful of top tags. No matter the system 99% of them would end up empty handed.

I think it should go to the next in line as well. If a person having a second choice tag already creates a problem then maybe they should put a note in saying if you draw your second choice you would be ineligible for a returned tag. That would make people decide whether they wanted to put in for a second choice or be on the list for a returned tag.

Maybe a camping trip will be planned for next year and spent a night or 2 sleeping in line.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Elks96-
Congrats on getting the tag and thanks for sharing the experience. Great to hear you are getting your buy out. Good luck!

I was first in line and got an ok tag but I got it so I could hunt with my Dad who had already drawn the tag. So it worked for me. However 30 minutes before 9, manager walked up and put his info in first at the store I was at. If I was wanting one of the better tags, I'd been pissed and made a scene... What an ass. He wasn't in line, just cut to front.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>What a cluster, it should go
>to next in line.

So the next guy in line could of had the tag! Sorry but how is this a bad thing or unfair? What could be better than being the next guy in line with a ton of points and grabbing the tag using no points at all!

The tag already went to a top point holder and for what ever they caved! Why not allow all of us the chance at the tag?

Sorry but I had enough points to draw 90% of the tags on the list with out a doubt, so if I wanted to I could have been that guy anyway! Instead I keep playing side games and trying to work the system while still building!

It was a fair chance for everyone! We all had a chance regardless! It was just a matter of priorities and choices! You either made a choice to try or not. I know of a couple other tags that went to some high point holders as well!

I also know one tag went to a 17 year old kid who has yet to kill an animal!

If given the choice my kids would have gotten the tags, but they are not old enough yet at all!

This is the only system where my kids will have any chance at hunting the unit I and they grew up in for deer! At current point creep I will be dead before they can draw.

Your experience illustrates the absurdity of the system. As I stated above, it's a system designed to be gamed and I bet your experience is par for the course. I understand the frustration with not being able to draw a tag, but the advocates for this system, admit-tingly, have fought for a system which they think gives them an opportunity to gain an advantage over others unwilling or unable to play the game. If the state wants an honest preference point system they need to issue to the next in inline, or if your worried about the inequity of the system, issue it in the random draw. As for the hunter who might draw a 2nd choice tag, who cares, I bet he would turn that tag back in adding to the left over list. Seems reasonable considering it was a low demand tag to begin with.

In about a month there will a unit 40 3rd season rifle tag on the leftover list. I hate to forfeit my tag and preference points, but the more I thought about it I can have a better more enjoyable hunting at home and not spend a $1000 on a week hunt. I more focused on drawing a bull tag in this unit anyhow. Good luck guys to those hunting this fall.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-16 AT 11:30PM (MST)[p]Wow Beanman! There really is a Santa Claus. Better than midnight tags for sure! Only thing better would have been if it were you or me

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I spent the night waiting in line and picked up some really great tags. Felt like Black Friday for hunting. Wonder if they will do Tag Tuesday again?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-16 AT 03:07PM (MST)[p]Yep! Next Tuesday. All tags turned in this week will go on the list Monday at 3 PM and on sale at 9 AM Tuesday. And again the next week, and again.......

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado should not allow tags to be turned back in without a valid emergency( e.g.; health, family emergency, etc.). Seems to create controversy and hard feelings. Not to mention the fact of the aforementioned store manager being in "the right place at the right time." Talk about abusing the system. Sounds like a plan SFW could get behind.

CPW could save themselves all that BS by just NOT ALLOWING IT without a valid excuse. JMO.

I think the leftovers being reissued is a good idea. To bad the phone lines never get answered.
I also believe it should be based on if the tag is resident or non resident. You should only be allowed to purchase the returned tag if it fits your status. A non resident returned tags goes to non residents. Resident tag goes to a resident.

>I think the leftovers being reissued
>is a good idea. To
>bad the phone lines never
>get answered.
>I also believe it should be
>based on if the tag
>is resident or non resident.
>You should only be allowed
>to purchase the returned tag
>if it fits your status.
>A non resident returned tags
>goes to non residents. Resident
>tag goes to a resident.

How is it currently set up? Open to everyone, or open to residents only?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom