Hornady FTX

I have not used them but I think that is too light of a bullet for elk. A copper monolith bullet like a Barnes in 250 maybe but not the FTX

Good advice from TX. I agree. I’d go with 300 grain minimum if you’re not using a solid copper. I’ve killed a number of bulls and other big animals with a 300 gr bonded shockwave and have never been blown away by the terminal performance.

The group I hunt with uses them exclusively. We’ve harvested 25+ elk with the 250 FTX. We don’t shoot long distances and make sure of shot placement. We’re using the MMP 3 pedal EZ sabot over 100 grains by volume of BH209. We’ve never lost an elk to one.
We used to use the Barnes muzzle-loader bullets with great success too. In our muzzys the FTX seems a little more accurate and way easier on the budget.
We never had good terminal success with power belts.

“We don’t shoot long distances and make sure of shot placement”

pretty much any bullet will do the job with those restrictions. I once shot a cow at 120 yards at a steep uphill angle. I pulled it a little far forward and it went thru the bone just above the elbow. I was using the 350 gr hornady fpb. It broke the bone and went thru the heart. She went 20 yards.

I like a little insurance when something happens that is not quite ideal.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom