hornady sst 180 gr, .30 06 for elk?

HIcountryman

Very Active Member
i have been shooting hornady SST in 180 grain in my Ruger american .30 06 for several years now. It is a destroyer of deer. The first large cow elk i shot took 3 shots to knock over. First thru left shoulder, 2nd behind shoulder, 3rd on right side behind shoulder. Second elk was a calf i shot behind left shoulder - it ran about 20 yds and piled up.

the "expert" at local gun shop poo poo'ed my bullet choice for elk saying SST's are "Too frangible." They break apart on impact i guess.

He recommended a federal fusion (i think). After switching from P.belts to Federal BOR loc for muzzleloader - i am thinking of making the change, but i have a S.load of 180 SSTs. I used to reload them at a friend's house and they started factory producing them soon after...

Any recommendations or thoughts? thanks

Accubond, partition, Sierra gameking, Hornady interbond. All better performing than SST. Of course at a reasonable range typical of bullet choice.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

In my opinion you can't beat Nosler Partition?s or Accubonds I have used Nosler Partitions for 59 yrs and some Accubonds since they came out

>Im on a tight budget this
>season.... any experience
>with Federal Fusion in 180
>or 165 gr.?

Nosler Partition?s or Accubonds 165gr or 180gr both will work great in your 30-06
The Accubonds will have a better BC and the Partitions will retain their mass just a little better? The price would be less that a dollar a bullet that's cheap for good bullets. Go on the nosler site they have all the info as to the structure of both.
This is my advise take it or leave it?

I always chuckle when people talk about the bullet or broad heads failures on animals. Berger?s, Barnes TTS, Accubond, Interbonds and SST?s have all had the same results for mule deer, bull elk and Mnt.goats for us in 7-08 (2 bull elk with 120gr. SST) and 7 mag......dead animals when shot through both lungs.

Don?t fall victim to marketing, the Indians killed buffalo with sharp rocks and we are told you have to use XYZ brand or won't be able to fill your tag.

>I always chuckle when people talk
>about the bullet or broad
>heads failures on animals. Berger?s,
>Barnes TTS, Accubond, Interbonds and
>SST?s have all had the
>same results for mule deer,
>bull elk and Mnt.goats for
>us in 7-08 (2 bull
>elk with 120gr. SST) and
>7 mag......dead animals when shot
>through both lungs.
>
>Don?t fall victim to marketing, the
>Indians killed buffalo with sharp
>rocks and we are told
>you have to use XYZ
>brand or won't be able
>to fill your tag.

lmao....no kidding

How many deer were killed with winchester silver tips and remington core-lokts before all the new stuff....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-19 AT 05:57PM (MST)[p]Deepcolor, if you kill a bison with a sharp rock, I'll use any bullet you say. Not a great analogy. mtmuley

I wonder how many dead indians and wounded buffalo that sharp stick hunting caused???....lol

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

The 180 SST is a great bullet for the 06. Elk are tough and it was most likely dead on its feet with the first shot. I shoot 165 nosler ballistic tips @2820 out of my 308 and its one and done every time out to 450 yds. You don't need a premium bullet in slower cartridges IMO. SST and BT work perfectly.

"You'll never get a big one if you shoot a little one"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom