Horses for rent and Hunting Use

F

Flatlandr

Anyone have useful information, opinions or references on the renting of horses for Elk & Mule deer hunts? Trying to start a plan for next year's hunt and have never had the experience of using horses. Will most likely be in the Craig / Meeker area next year. Two members of our group have experience owning & handling horses. I assume that I best take some riding classes if I want to enjoy the hunt as I have nearly zero riding experience. We will most likely have a base camp only as we are not setup for spike camping. Is rental a common method?

Thanks,all help appreciated.

The biggest rental outfit in Colorado is Sombrero Ranches. They rent horses throughout the hunting season, however, they don't offer pack saddles only riding.

I've rented from them in the past and the only problem I've had is you are getting horses that have been used for trail rides all summer long. The last time we rented we couldn't separate the horses. If you tried to split up the horses they would go nuts because they were used to being nose to tail all summer.

I think the Craig area is supported by their Steamboat stables. These horses aren't the greatest but they're available.

As for riding experience, get in some practice because some of the trails you will be on in the higher elevations are narrow.

I own horses. If your not familar with them, don't take them. What happens if the horse(s) get into Lupis? ( a weed that is very common ) I have lost one animal in the past by this nasty plant. You would be resposible for the cost of the animal.

Narrow ledges? We were up in the Strawberry wilderness one year. We lost a mule going up a steep, narrow ridge. The animal rolled 400 yds before stopping. DOA...

It's an accident waiting to happen.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom