Hot Tents

Barrera

Any you guys using the Hot Tents. I'm considering the seek outside 8 person tipi with XL stove. Now that my youth hunters are in thier teens were looking to do more backcountry style hunts. Any insight and experience with them is appreciated before I spend the $1600.00 ;)

Man there is NO way in Hell I would spend $1600 on a tent. There are SOooooooo many options in tents its mind boggling. Check out LUXE for one they have 6 Hot tents from $190 to $600 that is just one maker

Oldhornhunter. Agree it's on the expensive end and that's one reason I asked for opinions experience with these type of set ups. Ultimately I'm trying to find the best backcountry option for my sons and I. Having the stove is huge imo to keep them warm if needed. What I'm buying mostly is the memories with my boys not just the tent ;)

Beanman. Your exactly correct on the weight saving. This complete tent set up with stove I'm looking at is 11lbs 10oz. Impressive

Appreciate the response

I had to take a look. They look cool, but I don't know if the stove is worth the hassle of having to feed a fire all night with little sticks. The little stoves are really little.
I also like having a floor in the tent. I'm not a wuss, but mosquitoes, spiders, mice and wind coming in along the bottom edge would suck.
One of my other concerns would be whether it could withstand a strong wind.
I'd like to try one before buying one.

A stove like that is not one you would feed all night, you use it for comfort in the evenings and mornings and for cooking if you like. Seek Outside tents have been well tested to withstand high winds. They have a sod skirt inside which seals them pretty well in regards to wind. You can buy an optional ‘nest’ if you are squeamish about bugs, high mosquito populations would make that a necessity.

Last edited:
A stove like that is not one you would feed all night, you use it for comfort in the evenings and mornings and for cooking if you like. Seek Outside tents have been well tested to withstand high winds. They have a sod skirt inside which seals them pretty well in regards to wind. You can buy an optional ‘nest’ if you are squeamish about bugs, high mosquito populations would make that a necessity.
I shot them an email to see if they could hook me up with a loaner to test out and review. I’m curious, but skeptical.

Cool, hopefully they will set you up. I live about 15 minutes from the store/factory and stop in to see what they have set up frequently. I used their DST tarp a lot the last two years in place of a tent. I bought an Eolus and really like it. Neither of them are winter/snow tents for me though.

Any you guys using the Hot Tents. I'm considering the seek outside 8 person tipi with XL stove. Now that my youth hunters are in thier teens were looking to do more backcountry style hunts. Any insight and experience with them is appreciated before I spend the $1600.00 ;)
Hey a buddy of mine sent me a message he has a NorTent Tipi 6 with their wood stove I checked out their website might be worth taking a look

$20 tarp and some free elbow grease.

BFEAA636-EF68-4DA4-B2BE-60EF3B54030B.jpeg

Deepcolor,
Awesome keeping it simple. Is that stove in the pic in your tarp set up or another tent in the background? Cant tell. Pretty cool set up. ?

I haven't tried their shelters, but I have been using a Seek Outside pack for the last year and if their shelters are anything like their packs, I don't think anyone would be disappointed.

Also, that tarp setup looks awesome Deepcolor!

Fires are too much of a hassle during archery season. And in winter the isn’t enough day light to spend it cozying up to a fire unless you’re tent bound. Then why not use a propane heater? Packing a stove means horses or car camping in my world. Only time a wood camp stove was nice was when I was on a guided hunt and the full time cook took care of the wood the fire and making coffee in the morning ?

I’ve used a Seek Outside DST tarp as my shelter for the last two seasons and it has worked fine. I bought an Eolus that was a second and think it will replace the DST tarp since it has better storm coverage (although I never got wet in the DST). The pictures below are from my Archery hunt last September and the DST tarp.

20F935A4-08B0-4A80-9B4F-C5190371AE57.jpeg

AEE93E0E-40AD-44C7-9CB6-202E88C5DEE2.jpeg

Sorry, I strayed of the hot tent topic. I am getting a stove jack put in my Eolus so I can put a lightweight stove in it.

I shot them an email to see if they could hook me up with a loaner to test out and review. I’m curious, but skeptical.
I have a kifaru 4 man tipi with their small titanium stove you can take for a weekend if you want founder. I only live 45 minutes north of you. Lemme know

I have a kifaru 4 man tipi with their small titanium stove you can take for a weekend if you want founder. I only live 45 minutes north of you. Lemme know
Thanks for the offer! I may just have to do that. How much does that setup weigh?

I used the seek outside cimarron with the medium stove this year a bunch while sheep hunting Wyoming. Did a couple 5-10 day backpacking trips, and debated about bringing the stove, glad I did.

Got into all kinds of weather, snow, rain, etc. and its pretty nice to have a way to dry out all your gear each night.

I found that if you damper the stove down all the way, fill it as full as you can, you get about 3 hours out of it. The other nice thing about the stove, if you're just boiling water, no reason to bring a separate stove to cook on. You can boil water in just a few minutes if the stove is going good.

I was pretty skeptical as I got the tent/stove/nest through a promotion deal but it worked very well. I can think of a lot of miserable nights I've spent out hunting where it would have been nice to have a setup like the cimarron.

They are a game changer in my book. And easily justifiable for the guy who doesn't have an RV or occasionally spends money on a hotel when the temp dips below what is tolerable. I have a SO Redcliff with TiGoat stove and it has easily paid for itself in 3 short seasons. Love that thing. It's also indestructible - survived a 60 hour storm on Kodiak Island where wind gusts peaked over 70 mph. Zero regrets

Dihardhunter,
Good info for sure. NM draw closes here on the 18th. If we draw certain areas I'll likely be investing.
Thanks

I bought that same tepee and stove in 2015 for a pack in trip using llamas. It sets up easy, lots of room, lightweight and well made. I have used it every year since then. The stove works great for taking the chill off. About 2 hrs is all it lasts. I would buy it again if you need lightweight.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom