How big is this goat?

JakeH

Long Time Member
How big do you all think this goat is?
Screenshot_20200526-213225_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200526-213657_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200526-213736_Gallery.jpg

His horns seem short. But I think its because he has such a big body. Prongs at or above the ears and bases almost as big as the eyes. Mass seems good. I think he is a good one.

Score? No clue. Shoot him and find out.

right at 79, 6 1/2 inch bases, 6 inch cutters, and close to 15 in length. By the way I suck at judging goats!
I would agree. Very high 70's - to just over 80-81. I killed a buck like him in Wyoming that netted 81 4/8 , my late wife also took one very much like him, also a net 81 4/8. 1/2 inch short, on both. Darn !! The length or lack of was the main problem. Also needed more mass to get to mid 80 ' s which is what you need. Darn nice buck , close, but no cigar. Just my opinion. I'm not great either on goats, even though been hunting them since '78. They are really really tough !! Jerry Gold ?

I wonder if there is mirage or if he is moving, but the mass looks outstanding on that buck....has good cutters and average length. I would guess him to go book, 83 is my guess. Antelope are definitely tricky. We need to hear from the experts!

I found him again today and got some better pics. Even so the pic don't seem to do his mass justice. But I'm a novice when it comes to these guys.

Also the pics seem to wash out some of the length. He has big long white tips that are over an inch long that don't show up real well.

20200527_220129.jpg
20200527_215722.jpg
20200527_215614.jpg
20200527_210646.jpg

I’m sorry but I’m just not seeing it. He does have decent prongs though.
Maybe it’s because I am used to seeing some really wow factor bucks here in Northwest Nevada. Just not seeing the wow factor on this one.

It’s a nice goat, but I think he might stretch to 80 on the day he is killed with a generous tape. Decent mass and prongs but he looks a little compact. Then again I might be totally wrong, antelope can be very deceiving.

I would guess close to book. He looks like he has enough mass and length to make it, based on my book buck staring at me right now.
I think those prongs push 6 inches.
I , however, am not good at judging based on pics. I've proven that many times.
If he grows up and gets those prongs above his ears, take him.

I'm gonna guess 80.5". He has nice prongs and great mass down low but not much above the prong. Nice length but not enough to push him higher, nice ivory tips though! He is not flat, and the mass helps in score!

I'm not an expert at judging but trying to get better cause I'm hoping to go for one this fall in CO!

Length - 15
Bases - 6.25
Q2 - 6.75
Prong - 6.5
Q3 - 3
Q4 - 2.75

Eli, thanks for the knowledge. Is that what he's at now? Or what you think he will finish off at? Just wondering what to expect for growth from this point on.

That's what I'd call him right now. But I wouldn't expect that to change too much. Personally, I'd go after that crazy gnarly spiky buck that you found. That buck could be just as big or bigger. It was tough to tell because the side view was taken from above him quite a bit.

Thanks for your estimate Eli. We are thinking about the same. Anytime you are close to Eli estimate, with good pictures, you most likely wont be too far off the score.

That's what I'd call him right now. But I wouldn't expect that to change too much. Personally, I'd go after that crazy gnarly spiky buck that you found. That buck could be just as big or bigger. It was tough to tell because the side view was taken from above him quite a bit.

Ha good to see I am on the same page as you, He is shorter but has better mass on the top end, like a lot better, it just doesn't show too well. He is my #1 buck right now but still got 2 months of looking.

Antelope are hard to score, for me anyways. 1” in length or bases is huge.

so I have 3 classes of bucks.

1) That’s a buck.

2) That’s a good buck.

3) That’s a great buck.

IMO that’s a great buck. Love his long white tips and how symmetrical he is.

personally, the spiked horn buck is butt ugly.

But each of us has our preferences.

The inner ear from the base to the tip of a mature antelope measures 5" to use as a "gauge" for length. This buck looks like he will only get two circumference measures below the cutter, the base and 1/4 L. The 1/2 L will likely be above the cutter, the 3/4 L definately so you just lost valuable inches of "2 pi r" on those two circumferences.

He will make up for it on his cutters, but only by a few inches. The mass of base and 1/4 will also help. You usually need high prongs to tip the 80" mark.

High 70's. I would shoot him in a heartbeat.

The inner ear from the base to the tip of a mature antelope measures 5" to use as a "gauge" for length. This buck looks like he will only get two circumference measures below the cutter, the base and 1/4 L. The 1/2 L will likely be above the cutter, the 3/4 L definately so you just lost valuable inches of "2 pi r" on those two circumferences.

He will make up for it on his cutters, but only by a few inches. The mass of base and 1/4 will also help. You usually need high prongs to tip the 80" mark.

High 70's. I would shoot him in a heartbeat.

From my understanding it is fairly rare (not unheard of) to get 3 mass measurements below the prong. so I wouldn't say he is losing inches. Just not getting those bonus inches that some bucks get.

From my understanding it is fairly rare (not unheard of) to get 3 mass measurements below the prong. so I wouldn't say he is losing inches. Just not getting those bonus inches that some bucks get.

Mass measurements are dependent on the length. If the length is 16", then they come in at 4", 8", and 12". If the prongs sit at 6", then you'll loose out on the 8" measurement.

The higher the prong sits relative to the length, the higher the overall score. Ideal to only have one circumfrence measurement above the prong. This buck in particular has relatively low sitting prongs.

A guide/outfitter in my area made the mistake last year of going around telling people his client shot an 85" buck thinking you got three measurements below the prong regardless. Extreme mass (8") and 5 or 6 inch prong lengths. The prongs, however, were only about 5 inches up from the base with 14" long horns. When measured the right way, it was a 75" buck.

That's why you also look for a full curl (bighorn) sheep broomed off instead of one with lamb tips if score is what you're after.

I'm sure Eli is still the expert but my knee-jerk reaction is somewhat lower. I'd bet it's a solid 78" buck.

It would be fun to get him on the ground and pull a tight tape.

I'd still shoot the sticker-buck instead because it's uniquely beautiful.

Zeke

I'm going with 82 2/8. Eli is not going to be far off so that is what you should assume is correct.

Beautiful, beautiful buck! Hope you get him

Mass measurements are dependent on the length. If the length is 16", then they come in at 4", 8", and 12". If the prongs sit at 6", then you'll loose out on the 8" measurement.

The higher the prong sits relative to the length, the higher the overall score. Ideal to only have one circumfrence measurement above the prong. This buck in particular has relatively low sitting prongs.

Yes you are correct, it is possible but from what I have read it is more on the rare side. This buck still has a fairly thick 3rd measurement but no where near the 2nd. Personally I still think he will break 80, and would be 85-88 if he had the 3rd below the prong

Ohh, and just for your reference, if it is being scored for Pope and Young the 3rd measurement has to be taken above the prong, even if it would have landed below you have to move it up above.

My buddy also has the same tag I do, there is a high likely hood this buck will be killed by one of us, I will get everyone the measurements if we get him killed.

Last edited:
It’s a beautiful goat. My initial gut thought was that he knocking on 80 but I’m confident Eli is closer than I am. It’s crazy when I look at what his numbers are, and what my numbers are, the differences are an eighth here and a quarter there, but the difference ends up being 2 1/2” inches. I also love the spikey pronghorn. I’ve killed a bunch of goats over the years and always try to just focus more on finding one I think looks cool, instead of worrying about final score. I lucked into another tag this year, and both of these bucks would easily fit the bill. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to take us along on your adventure. Love seeing the pictures.

Ohh, and just for your reference, if it is being scored for Pope and Young the 3rd measurement has to be taken above the prong, even if it would have landed below you have to move it up above

And just for yours, the P&Y minimum is much lower.

Gorgeous buck no doubt. I'd guess he greens in the 80-81" range, but dries out around 77-78". Those cutters are beautiful, and I love the extra stickers/bumps on them

I am no judge of pronghorn, but I don't think he is much over 14 and I think his first and second mass look greater than they are because his prongs are so low. Great prongs, though, good mass up top, and I love the white tips. I would should him for that alone. Please let us know how he measures out.

I am no judge of pronghorn, but I don't think he is much over 14 and I think his first and second mass look greater than they are because his prongs are so low. Great prongs, though, good mass up top, and I love the white tips. I would should him for that alone. Please let us know how he measures out.
I saw that buck and couldn’t make up my mind but after the second trip back to where he was at I pulled the trigger on him , thought for sure he was at least 80 + , but after I ruff scored him I couldn’t get 80 and had him officially scored at 77 , oh well he’s a great looking goat and like they say it’s hard animal to score, I’ll try to find my score sheet and post it , he was over 15” tall .

Jake I wouldn't focus on inches, unless that's your motive.

He has good mass below the prong. Good prongs, he is short on overall length. He is about 6in to the flat of the prong. He would be lucky to have another 7 above.

20200824_191411.jpg

He’s 15” tall on both sides and length above the prong is 8” , those curves on his horns are longer than you think

Thin on top looks like he lost some mass on top but gained some on the bottom...will be a dandy for sure!!!!

Wow, that mass down low and cutters are outstanding. Would be awesome if he kept growing, could be a real stud.

I'm a MASS and prongs guy and that buck certainly has both of those features! Can't wait to see how he turns out later this spring and early summer!

Thin on top looks like he lost some mass on top but gained some on the bottom...will be a dandy for sure!!!!
As thick as here is below the prong and as long as those cutters are, I'm not sure that he did lose and mass up top. I think he lost some length up there, but not mass. Stud buck no matter how you look at it

150lbs on the hoof maybe 110lbs gutted. Shot a few in my day. Just pack them out over the shoulder no biggy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom