How do I prevent optics fogging up

B

BuckBunger

Hey Everyone,

Are there any tricks to prevent scopes and binoculars from fogging up in cold temps in the field? I do what I can to exhale my breaths away from lenses but it seems that having my face up to the reticle is all it takes to fog up a previously clear lens.

Sometimes the fog is inside the optics yet seems to come and go. Are there any rules of thumb regarding this problem?

I've attached a photo of myself and my nephew hunting in perfect fogging weather. You also have to check out the muley effigy my wife made for me using koban bandage wrap in various colors and other supplies found around her medical lab. It's a little 2-point...and that's what I got this year. Next year, I'll get her to make one representing a big 'ol mossy back 4-pointer. I'm generally not superstitious but I why tempt the fates...

Okay I'm a little new at this. Hope they show now...
--BuckBunger

41be27501e726662.jpg

41be277b1ebbacad.jpg

If you have fogging INSIDE your binocs, they are either a model that is not fog proof (usually inexpensive models), or they have been dropped one too many times and have lost the fogproof ability. Either way, sounds like you need a new pair or send these back to the manufacturer and see what they can do (if they are a more expensive pair).

Everyone breathes on them from time to time, and it is usually right after you see the "big-un" and are breathing excitedly! Don't know anything you can do about that. However, the rule of thumb for fogging is to leave all rifle scopes/binocs outside your tent/cabin so they don't get warm at night, because when you take warm optics outside, they will fog. I leave mine in a seperate tent or in my pickup so they maintain the outside tempurature.

There is never a more true cliche as "you get what you pay for" in optics. Cheap models will strain your eyes and will fog. If you haven't bitten the bullet, think about it. They are an investment that should last at least 10-15 years, so don't scrimp. $250 would be my absolute minimum and you can make a big leap in quality if you get up into the $450-500 range. Remember $500 divided by 10 years is $50. Pretty cheap when you consider what you spend on other things.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I purchased some anti fog cream at Sportsmans Warehouse this year just before the rainy archery opener this year. it worked very well. I have Brunton Eternas that are waterproof and the fogging was only on the outside surface. It only cost a couple of bucks and should last me several years.

Hey buckbunger was that the northern rifle hunt this year in the first pic ?

later , hunter cameron

Yes, Northern. I was actually just outside of Salt Lake on a trail to Mount Dade. The scrub oak was thick, tall, and nasty. I think I'll go back next year and hunt the area from the opposite side I was on this year. Hard hiking and steep but worth the effort. I saw fresh beds for deer I never saw or heard. No surprise there since I had to work the area hard on the last day by walking right through it. Next year I'll have more time to be patient and sit and glass--both before the hunt and during.

Snow was a big advantage this year. If there's no snow next year, it'll be extremely hard to see into the cover. I'll have to be especially keen to spot movement because I'll never see a body sitting still.

Oh well, if it was easy, everyone would do it.

Where were you and did you have a good hunt?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom