How do I remove this turret?

DidIDraw

I purchased this rifle with this tall turret on it. The scope is a VX3 4.5-14 x 40. The load the turret is set up for is too hot for my liking so I ordered the regular CDS turret from Leupold (set up for a more modest load and low profile for hunting).

How do I remove the current turret so I can install the CDS turret?

Thanks in advance!!

turret 1.jpg
Turret 2.jpg
Turret 2.jpg
turret 1.jpg
Turret 3.jpg
Turret 3.jpg

My bro had a tall turret scope and sent it to Leupold and had it converted to the lower ZL-2.
To MY knowledge, you cannot perform that surgery yourself unless you want a broken mess when you're finished.
Zeke

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but that isn’t a CDS turret. It’s a leupold target turret and won’t accept that dial.
Did you consult leupold with the serial number of your scope when ordering your turret? They should’ve been able to tell you what turret you needed.
Also last I heard the Leupold custom shop is closed currently so retrofitting that turret setup might not be an option right now.
If nothing else I would suggest finding a factory MOA turret for that turret and building a drop chart and dialing for your shots. Kenton industries also makes turrets for that turret setup.

My bro had a tall turret scope and sent it to Leupold and had it converted to the lower ZL-2.
To MY knowledge, you cannot perform that surgery yourself unless you want a broken mess when you're finished.
Zeke
Kind of thought that might be the case. Thanks for your replies!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but that isn’t a CDS turret. It’s a leupold target turret and won’t accept that dial.
Did you consult leupold with the serial number of your scope when ordering your turret? They should’ve been able to tell you what turret you needed.
Also last I heard the Leupold custom shop is closed currently so retrofitting that turret setup might not be an option right now.
If nothing else I would suggest finding a factory MOA turret for that turret and building a drop chart and dialing for your shots. Kenton industries also makes turrets for that turret setup.
Thanks for your reply.
I filled out the form to order the dial (including the serial #). I assumed if it came from the factory that way they would know that. Not a big deal, I'll reach out to them about getting the right one or an MOA one ordered.
Plenty of other rifles in the safe that would love to go hunting this fall :)

To be honest I prefer a capped elevation turret if the scope doesn’t have a zero stop. The older CDS were notorious for accidentally getting spun off zero due to brush, pack scabbards etc.
With the capped elevation I have never missed a shot opportunity because it took a few extra seconds to remove the turret cap.

To be honest I prefer a capped elevation turret if the scope doesn’t have a zero stop. The older CDS were notorious for accidentally getting spun off zero due to brush, pack scabbards etc.
With the capped elevation I have never missed a shot opportunity because it took a few extra seconds to remove the turret cap.
I agree and I've left mine as true MOA and covered turrets.

The good news is it can be converted to ZL-2 but I just heard in this thread that the custom shop id closed and I didn't know that.

Zeke

Covid closed Custom shop indefinitely for now. I think you can still order a dial but no custom scope work is being performed as of now.

You have a great scope and just need to order the correct custom dial for that scope. I have several of them and have never been bothered by having to remove the cap before dialing yardage/windage. The fact that you are dialing should mean that you have plenty of time to set up.-----SS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom