How do you carry water into a hunt?

JPblind

Been seeing more and more plastic water bottles in the middle of nowhere and was wondering if people really put these things in their packs and just discard anywhere. I myself buy an hydration bladder compatible pack and carry a 100oz bladder. Can't see packing water bottles that take up a lot of room. I know that a good bladder around $20 but really?

I use a platypus 3 liter bladder. It’s the only one I found that doesn’t have that plastic taste. It’s expensive but worth it.

In my experience it’s a Utah/California thing to drink those 20 oz disposable water bottles. So wasteful. The bottles too.

Some buds drink beer to pray for a kill.. yet some buds know the kill is coming regardless..

These pals are the hope for all Americans

I use a platypus 3 liter bladder. It’s the only one I found that doesn’t have that plastic taste. It’s expensive but worth it.

In my experience it’s a Utah/California thing to drink those 20 oz disposable water bottles. So wasteful. The bottles too.
It's always a Utah/California thing. Very analytical. I'm with snoopdogg, some people are just slobs.
Personally, I pack a bladder and keep my plastic bottles at camp.

Use both at different times in different packs. I find bottles everywhere and usually end up with a handful every time I hike out. I sometimes wonder if some are not from planes above etc. There are some places in WY that I hike that are so remote and desolate that you cant find any sign of man at all then bam a water bottle. When I find those I figure it had to be a air plane or a Sparrow...

I take water bottles. But I reuse the same one until it fails. Kinda gross, but it’s only my gross mouth on it.

I don’t understand seeing soda and beer cans in the back country (or any trash for that matter). It was heavier when the litter bug hauled it in and weighed next to nothing when they left it there.

I use plastic bottles - Smart Water bottles like many UL backpackers. I reuse the bottles until they’re worn out then recycle them. I don’t like bladders for several reasons - you don’t know how much water you’ve got left, the water can freeze in the tube and they’re unnecessarily heavy.

I use a source bladder but always bring a spare water bottle just in case I need it for various reasons.
I’ve found the cheaper the bladder the more problems with them.

Staying hydrated is important and I’ve found I drink way more water with a bladder. For that reason alone it trumps any disadvantages a bladder may have.

I think the majority of the hunters here are day hunters and go back to a camp every day where they have water. They are not doing multi day backpack type hunting. A hydration bladder probably is overkill for this style of hunting.

I think a lot of the bottles you find accidentally fall out of peoples side pockets on packs. I’m sure some are intentionally discarded but empty water bottles have a way of coming out of a side pocket easily.

I reuse large Mtn Dew bottles as water bottles and never had one fail and they don't have that crappy warm plastic taste. They can take real abuse and are not noisy.

I find way way more beer cans than I do water bottles. Maybe that tells us something.

I also think bottled water is generally a waste of money and resources. Who's so lazy that they cannot fill their own water bottles? To each his own however.

Zeke

Staying hydrated is important and I’ve found I drink way more water with a bladder. For that reason alone it trumps any disadvantages a bladder may have.

I think the majority of the hunters here are day hunters and go back to a camp every day where they have water. They are not doing multi day backpack type hunting. A hydration bladder probably is overkill for this style of hunting.

I think a lot of the bottles you find accidentally fall out of peoples side pockets on packs. I’m sure some are intentionally discarded but empty water bottles have a way of coming out of a side pocket easily.
+1 SS
A bladder is essential for me in CA hunting. It’s 90-100 degrees during our deer season and having water easily accessible to drink is awesome.
Also when hunting in freezing temps I always blow the tube clean after drinking to help from freezing.

I carry plastic water bottles straight from Costco. I do that because the plastic weighs zero, and when I am done I can crush the plastic and replace the lid so it is compact trash. I always carry a small plastic bag for my trash, so you will never find my bottles (or any other trash) in the field. Weight is everything for me- especially on a long duration hunt.

Weight has been mentioned a couple times. If a fricking water bottles weight is a factor you might as well just stay home. Or don’t pack any water. ???

I'll just throw a plastic water bottle in my day pack for a day hunt. I can usually find a spring to refill it if necessary. If I'm spending the night I'll plan a campsite where I know I've got running water.

I use a camelbak water bladder in September and switch it up to a nalgene once it starts to get cold. There are few things worse then freezing up your tube on a camelbak. I also have been using the katadyn BeFree water filter. Super light and quick to use. Packing less water and filing up has been nice.

I use the medical quality sterile irrigation bottles. After 30 years in the medical fields, my wife has brought so many of these home we use them for everything. They used to only be about $24 a case, but over the years the price for a case of 12 - 1 liter ones is up to $50. Four bucks is cheap for a quality bottle, and you can just dump the water out. If you have any friends who are nurses, or surgical scrubs/techs - ask them to save you some!

I pack my water in them in my backpack, freeze them for ice and drinking water later. You can store all kinds of dry powders and stuff in them. I keep all my liquor in them, as they will not take on a plastic taste, they are unbreakable, and have a screw on lid with double wall seal gasket which is leakproof.

4C76C5E0-8904-46C4-9C5E-B777D2F0620A.jpeg

You’re talking a few ounces. I understand light weight but it’s literally a few ounces. Isn’t the end goal to have a heavy pack?
When I was 40, I could care less how much weight I carried. I noticed at 50 that I was sorer and sorer on my full day hunts on foot. At 60? Yep- every ounce counts. I've shaved 3 ounces here, 6 ounces there. Lighter gun, scope, no more GPS, lighter coat, lighter boots, lighter pack, only one spare battery, minimal gators when needed, less silly emergency provisions, etc. Hell, I even make sure my body weight is at the right level before the hunts. Overall, I think I'm down close to ten pounds of dead weight. It's kind of a religion, it allows me to still go all day long.

I pack a 3 liter bladder and 2 Powerade bottles. One bottle full of water and the other for relieving my own bladder in middle of the night. (I hate crawling out of my tent). The trick is to not get them mixed up!:oops:

Lol nice
Never could do that.
Always had a hard time off the side of the boat too.
Have you put any sheep to bed for tomorrow?

I pack a 3 liter bladder and 2 Powerade bottles. One bottle full of water and the other for relieving my own bladder in middle of the night. (I hate crawling out of my tent). The trick is to not get them mixed up!:oops:
Don’t mix the bottles up!

That dude is lathered up - nice pack!

He had the wall tent, half way out he got the 2 front shoulders from the side of the trail. Just a guess but I figure he's pushing 40. That's literally his last load, he's earned his retirement. Floating his teeth and wormin him hard. He'll live as long as he wants too....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom