How do you value a trophy?

cavemn5050

I recently returned from an overseas assignment and my household goods that were in storage had some items "lost". One of those items was a euro mount of my son's first buck.

I have to claim the value of the lost item, and they don't pay anything for sentimental value. But how do you value something like that? The cost of the tag & hunt? The cost of "replacement"?

Curious as to how you would claim this....

Had a friend lose all his mounts in a fire and he was allowed to claim the cost of the taxidermy and hunt into his claim. So his AK moose was around 6k

Good luck, my insurance guy for 30 years has 50 or more trophies and his insurance company wouldn't insure them. The question was "What are they worth?"

If you paid $60,000 for a Mexico desert sheep hunt and you can buy a desert mount on Ebay for $2,500 that's probably the most they are going to pay you, if that.

You didn't lose the experience of the hunt, you had that, they aren't going to pay you for a loss you didn't have. If you're lucky you might get the cost of a set of antler, cape and taxidermy fees.

If you are a SCI member and insure through they will pay a lot more.
https://www.scimemberinsurance.com/insurance-details/trophy-insurance/

Good luck, my insurance guy for 30 years has 50 or more trophies and his insurance company wouldn't insure them. The question was "What are they worth?"

If you paid $60,000 for a Mexico desert sheep hunt and you can buy a desert mount on Ebay for $2,500 that's probably the most they are going to pay you, if that.

You didn't lose the experience of the hunt, you had that, they aren't going to pay you for a loss you didn't have. If you're lucky you might get the cost of a set of antler, cape and taxidermy fees.

I would recommend getting a different insurance guy.

TMO is alot different when it comes to claims like that. Being retired military myself it might be hard to get any money for your mount. Things to consider are were there pics taken of it and was it documented on the moving tag number. Good luck!

This reminds me of one guy I know that borrowed a Side by Side for a hunting trip. Long story short, he broke the front bumper enough that it needed replaced. He knew he was responsible for it so he goes online to buy a new one. He finds that the original OEM goes for around $300. He finds an aftermarket that goes for $69.99. He ends up getting that one. It shows up and he installs it. It sort of matches the original but is made of that cheap black metal that you would find in an entertainment center. The original color was silver. He returns it to the owner and they have a fight about it. The guy didn’t understand that the cheap one was garbage, he thought any replacement was ok. It was kind of funny.

It's not going to help you with your current claim, but you can buy mount insurance that would cover the replacement cost including the hunt itself. SCI sells it, and I believe there are a couple of other companies that offer it. You could probably find companies that offer it with a Google search.

It's not going to help you with your current claim, but you can buy mount insurance that would cover the replacement cost including the hunt itself. SCI sells it, and I believe there are a couple of other companies that offer it. You could probably find companies that offer it with a Google search.
I wonder how that works with multiple trophies taken on the same hunt. For example, I have 11 shoulder mounts from one trip to Africa. Including ALL expenses. the cost was about $24K.

So let's say someone steals just the 48" kudu; how would I break down the cost of just that one critter? Would I use the entire hunt cost, plus the taxidermist's cost for the kudu only? Then how's about if I have a house fire that destroys all 11 of them?

I just read about it. It doesn't seem to pay for the mount specifically but for a replacement hunt for the critter loss minus a $250 deductible. That might not be such a bad deal.

SCI has a price list to include each different specie.

A kudu would be $3,100 to $8,300 depending on which specie of kudu.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom