how far for comfortable shot

T

threelemonbob

I dont know about you guys but with my bow i have a 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 yard pins. Just because i have the pins doesnt mean i can shoot that far comfortably. I see myself as at least a fair shot having harvested an animal every time i have a tag. To shoot at an animal if i can get wihin 40 yards he's in trouble. Ive heard of people shooting past 100 yards. Mabey theyre just better than me but i think that taking a shot over 50 yards is unsportsman like. What do you guys think and how far are you willing to shoot.

I agree with you, I have pins out to 70 yards. I can hit the kill zone 4 or 5 out of 5 times at 70, but the farthest I will shoot is 40 yards. There are just to many factors coming into play at the longer distances. Animals have excellent hearing and reflexes. I have seen deer jump the string on 30 yard shots or simply take a step when the arrow is released. Even at 40 yards with a bow shooting 260 fps (constant velocity assumed) the animal has almost .5 seconds to react, that is a long time when you are discussing an animal with quick relexes.

Rut

No matter how far you shoot, you should have practiced for many hours at that distance to be proficient at that yardage. But I agree with Rutcrazed about an animal jumping the string. Had a nice bull jump my string at 40 yards this year. I got the shot on video and was amazed at the quickness and mobility of an animal that large in that short of a time. He was under 40 yards standing in about 4" of water, and ducked down far enough that his chest hit the water. It was a drop of at least 18 inches or more. I watch that video often and it still amazes me!
I think a lot of the decision of distance to shoot depends on the actions of the animal, and whether it is alert, or relaxed, and whether it is standing, or walking. The more you educate yourself to the various scenarios, the better hunter you will become.
a*r

It all depends on how much you practice... One of my hunting partners shoots 3 times a week year round .... I saw him take a mule deer at 70 yards right through the heart.....deer went 50 yards and dropped......myself Im with you 40 to 50 yards is max ....its all in how much you practice and how good you are!

Depends on the circumstances for me, like mentioned above. Mine is 50 yds. even though I am accurate farther because I shoot a lot of radical 3-D shoots.
Michael

I feel very comfortable with shots under 40 yard but will shoot a few yards farther in some situations. If the animal is alert then the longer shots are unrealistic.

My farthest shot was 57 yards on a Muley and drilled him , coplete double lunger.
I had my range finder so I knew the distance to the bedded buck.

Practice at distances greater than you are accustomed to and it will improve your shooting.

You guys are right some people can probably shoot 70 yards or more but even though i do 3-d shoots that doesent help me with buck fever. If its very big at all and its over 40 yards he's probably pretty safe.

Comfortable: 1. at ease in body or mind; 2.sufficient to satisfy.
(Webster's Dictionary) I try not to take any shots over 30 yards. A lot can happen when you release that arrow. At distances of say, 50+, 60+ yards, if the animal takes one step at the moment you release, it can easily mean a miss or worse, a wounded animal. I believe I owe it to the animal to try to make a quick, humane kill. JMO

I have pins up to 50 yards and practice all when shooting. If you're a muley within 50 yards, then look out!

I can hit an elk vital sized target at 70m (77 yards) nearly every time over hundereds of shots with my olympic recurve. I can easily hit a deer sized vitals every time at 90m (98 yards) with my compound. Shooting that far is not an issue for anyone who practices year round.

The issue is what the animal does. I have shot an unaware 4x3 out at 48 yards, but I have also had them jump my string and miss at 30 yards.

The issue is that the farther out you go the higher the likelyhood that some thing bad can happen. That distance is different for each of us.

I think you need to decide what it is before you leave the house. Then stick with your plan in the face of that 200" buck out at 40, 50, 60, 70 or whatever yards out there that is too far for your comfort zone.

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom