How have you Evolved as a Deer Hunter

Broadside_Shot

I have been curious about this with others. I will start as to give an example of what I was asking.

My first hunt was 1988. I was 14 almost 15. Utah had just changed the age to hunt to 14 from 16. I was after any buck and I shot my first buck, a spike with my mom and sister with me. I was ecstatic. Proud moment. Score was something I had never heard of at the time.

After that my goal was to just get a deer every year because my grandpa had the reputation of never getting skunked in all his years of hunting. I wanted to be like him.

In 1996 I shot a 2 point buck with my oldest daughter with me. She was 3. Great pictures but it didn't feel good. This little guy survived the opening weekend and I put him down on a Monday. It was that moment that I changed to wanting to shoot bigger bucks. I had success and fun chasing big bucks and got a few of them. I was reading trophy hunter magazine. Score became something i learned about and it was important. I wanted to be the popular hunter. I got involved with sportsman groups and I liked extreme hardcore hunts.

I did this until I was around 40 and then I changed again. I still wanted big bucks but I was more after the experience and memories. I like to challenge myself with my recurve bow now. It was important to be sneaky and get close and learn the animal and his mannerisms. Patience was refreshing. I didn't feel the pressure of filling my tag as much. I was enjoying helping friends and family, something I didn't do much of, hunting spots were secrets before, some places still are. I teach more that if you are excited and the moment feels right then take him, regardless of size. I really like the non rushed time in the hills.

I've had certain defining moments that have changed me in the hunting world.

How about everyone else.

The only buck I will shoot is a young tender buck because the occasional deer meat I get needs to eat good.

Horns mean absolutely nothing as do brag pics. There are plenty of others only willing to shoot mature deer for whatever heard management reasons it does, so I am a minority when it comes to that.

I too have had defining moments that have changed me in the hunting world as well, but not because of a desire for increased challenge.

Used to be about the kill and tag fill. I learned and have since shown my family that the bonus is the harvest with time & experience together being the critical aspect.

I've changed a lot, but so have circumstances and technology. I killed my first deer in the 60's. Used a Marlin lever action 35 Remington. That rifle couldn't shot 200 yards on its best day. No spotting scoped, no good binoculars. no camo. 50-60 years ago, there were WAY MORE deer and there were lots more places where you could get access to hunt. You cold always shoot 2-3 bucks per year.

Now, there are few deer, people shoot a half mile, public lands a re vastly over hunted and it's really tough to get access to private property.

I haven't shot anything but mature deer for decades. I hate elk and whitetails because they have been part of the demise of mule deer in our area. So if I don't find a big buck, I'll shoot a couple of cow elk or a whitetail doe for meat. I also spend a lot more time looking at critters this time of year; taking pics and just enjoying the wildlife. I might shoot better now, but I was a much better shot when young. But good scopes and better rifles have helped me out.

Everyone evolves, but time has sure changed hunting through the years.

I enjoy the hunt itself more and gave up the pressure to make meat. That being said, I'm still a meat hunter. I look for a mature buck with a mature buck body. Don't get me wrong, I like big antlers too, but they are secondary. Mostly enjoy the hunt and hopefully enjoy months of good eating too.

It sounds like you "evolved" the typical way almost everyone does. But over the last several decades, it seems that more and more hunters get stuck in the trophy phase and they become more vocal and organized and big game management changes to accommodate them.
Having said that, those of us who have gone through all those phases and are still hunting have been able to find ways to just enjoy the full hunting experience.

I was blessed to have been included in a camp of old guys(30yr olds) when I was coming up. Deer hunting for me is still being in that camp with 70yr guys, im hoping Wuhan doesnt keep them away this year.

We hunt elk for meat, deer for tradition.

Ill still shoot one, but only after exhausting every chance for one of the kids.

It sounds like you "evolved" the typical way almost everyone does

This is what I was wondering. I try bringing people into the hunting world and they don't have the passion I have and I have wonder why that is. I guess there is a lot of variables that can play into this.

I too just wanted to be successful in my younger years. It built confidence. As I got older and after harvesting a few smallish bucks, I started passing small bucks in hopes of getting a bigger buck. Now that I have a family and my daughters come hunting with me, I am back to being more willing to shoot smaller bucks so my girls can experience success with me and make memories. I have never seen my daughters so excited as when we walk up on my downed buck. They don't count antler points. I never have felt bad for shooting small bucks (for the reasons stated above).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom