How humidity and altitude affect bullet trajectory

Just got done shooting a little today out to 400 yards. The weather conditions were on the humid side since we had rain today in NC. My bullet seemed to be a little low on the target compared to when I got my scope yardage settings. It was clear and sunny that day with a lot lower humidity. Also I am going to NM in December for an elk hunt. I'm guessing the elevation to be around 8000 ft. I am shooting at about 50 feet elevation on the east coast. What should I expect the effect on bullet trajectory in the much higher elevation. I wanted to get custom turrets for my scopes but wasn't sure where to start. I am shooting a Wby MKV using Hornady 200gr ELD-X bullets and also a Wby First Lite using the same bullets. Any help would be appreciated.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you are like most of us, your gun will make that altitude adjustment way easier than you will.

Altitude/humidity will only effect your shot if you are planning to shoot longer distances, but changes in altitude, humidity, etc can make a big difference at longer ranges (beyond 400 yds.) It is why most serious long range hunters go with ballistic apps and MOA adjustments. Using proper ballistic charts allows you to taylor the altitude, temp, humidity, etc. for the conditions you are hunting in. It is also why custom turrets only work for the conditions they are plugged in with.
I usually hunt where cell coverage doesn't exist, so instead of the phone app, I make up laminated yardage cards specific for the projected conditions I'm hunting in and carry them with me. I change them for each hunt and conditions.
I hope that helps and best of luck on your hunts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom