How is Second Season going?

elkin44

Just wondering how second season is going, Deer and Elk.

We decided not to go to Colorado for the first time in 20+ years, and from what it looks like and what it sounded like there was a fair amount of snow.

I am just hoping the deer did not get pushed down to low and did not get slaughtered, with the late season and the generous amount of deer tags.

Particularly in the Gunnison Basin. Anybody know how the deer and elk seasons is going, many mature deer getting harvested? Just curious.

Thanks, Elkin44

Pretty slow around here from what i've heard in the southwest corner, but we don't have any snow like other parts of the state. Supposed to get a storm tomorrow through Friday so that last weekend could pick up. Both my kids have buck tags they have passed a couple smaller buck so far, we have been seeing lots of does and doe groups without bucks where we have been.

Lots of road hunters from what I saw opening weekend, I was out camping in (north central colorado) did a few hikes and sighted in my rifle for 3rd season, only shots I heard were mine. Nothing was hanging when I passed 10 or so camps. Not that guys aren’t getting into them, but seemed quite for having 3-4 inches of snow on the ground still. I figured it would be a slaughter

My first Colorado deer hunt, Gunnison, it sounded like a war zone Sat and somewhat Sunday am. Good news is every young buck outside of 400 yards away from a road is still ok. The cold and snow did get them going last week, I think the snow forecasted Tomm ( 6-12 inches above 8k) and it will not get much above freezing friday will get them going downhill pretty fast. The slaughter is over only about 25 percent of people are still here I would guess.

Bucks were rutting pretty well where we were hunting. Some of the bigger bucks leaving does before daylight. Seemed like a lot more deer hunters this year. More deer hunters + later season dates will definitely take their toll on mature bucks in the coming years. If I had pts I would definitely use them asap!

Much slower than usual in the North Park area. Minimal shots heard and only the opener looked and acted normal. The snow did not seem to impact the hunting. I think the 3rd season hunters should have a much better hunt the than the 1st/2nd hunters.

Already mowed down the hayfield bucks in my hood. Gunna be slim pickins come 4th.
Hey Bluehair, figured you’d be the guy to asked. Is there any snow around McPhee? Think there might be a couple good ones left for third season???
Thanks!

Hey Bluehair, figured you’d be the guy to asked. Is there any snow around McPhee? Think there might be a couple good ones left for third season???
Thanks!
We still have snow in the shade down low so I expect its a matter of how much. I’m headed up to groundhog today so driving right thru there. I’ll let you know when I get back this afternoon.

Rumor is 15” on Black Mesa. Wolf Creek is open and has had 40” this year.

The biggest buck I’ve seen on public ground here in 15 years was this time last year in boggy draw. Almost ran over him.

Last edited:
Thank you, that’s good info! I definitely appreciate an update for what you see, as I’m wondering where to set up my trailer this year for the third season? But I hope that buck you seen last year is still around, and has a couple friends ?
Thanks again!

buddies were in gunnison this year, we were in South Park area. Gunnison got a lot of cold and snow for second season. I’m worried it was the “perfect storm” that everyone was afraid of with the late season structure. The only good news was that the real weather hit later in the season and from what it sounds like, a ton of forkies we’re already killed and tags were punched. Oh and they saw a ton of does getting smoked with all the additional doe tags being given out. Pretty sad. Overall good deer numbers though, just not much for quality.

Would have really loved to have that gunnison tag this year; kept an eye on the weather and it looked pretty dang good in terms of hunting for basically the whole season.

I can imagine a few outcomes from this season:

1) top end is crushed, middle end is also crushed, will take some warm years to rebuild trophy quality

2) top end was already crushed, middle end gets extra crushed as a result, takes some warm years to rebuild

3) good deer are holding up away from hunting pressure, despite cold temps, and a lot will make it. Nobody will see them and perception will be that the deer herd is crushed.

Probably some combination of the above

buddies were in gunnison this year, we were in South Park area. Gunnison got a lot of cold and snow for second season. I’m worried it was the “perfect storm” that everyone was afraid of with the late season structure. The only good news was that the real weather hit later in the season and from what it sounds like, a ton of forkies we’re already killed and tags were punched. Oh and they saw a ton of does getting smoked with all the additional doe tags being given out. Pretty sad. Overall good deer numbers though, just not much for quality.

Would have really loved to have that gunnison tag this year; kept an eye on the weather and it looked pretty dang good in terms of hunting for basically the whole season.

I can imagine a few outcomes from this season:

1) top end is crushed, middle end is also crushed, will take some warm years to rebuild trophy quality

2) top end was already crushed, middle end gets extra crushed as a result, takes some warm years to rebuild

3) good deer are holding up away from hunting pressure, despite cold temps, and a lot will make it. Nobody will see them and perception will be that the deer herd is crushed.

Probably some combination of the above
I just finished up 16 days straight sun up to sun down in Gunnison on way to MT for another deer hunt now. Yes 16 I promise you I was the only one there that long. Number 2 is the correct answer. The age class is wrecked. The trophy guys were making “ mistakes” at the end —- well it looked 170, Was really a 150-155 three year old. I passed a couple around 160-mid 160s. I ate tag soup and Iam totally ok with it I worked my butt off. I got a look at better scouting and held out. Looked at 15/20 bucks a day. My comments do not really matter but iam sure a few guys will pull something special out of there. It is a beautiful place to hunt and that was worth a few points by itself. I can only imagine what it used to be. Maybe slightly reduced tags going forward and a couple more normal winters will make it better. Only one of those things can be controlled.
Edit to add. I found two yearling fork horns dead and a doe, just me. How many were out there……

Last edited:
I was in the Gunnison basin for 6 days. I saw an incredible amount of deer, didn’t see anything I would even remotely think is worthy of burning the points required to draw. I killed the oldest/biggest deer I saw, had great backs but weak fronts. I camped next to a few guys who were also getting after it, nothing over 170 ever even seen. It was a fun hunt for the amount of deer and bucks seen, but I would of thought in 6 days of glassing from sun up to sun down with snow etc that I would of seen some better deer. Oh well, I am out of the points game now and can start hunting every year!

FA486A41-7361-4D46-B2BE-F3C5A5A6F7A1.jpeg

Thank you, that’s good info! I definitely appreciate an update for what you see, as I’m wondering where to set up my trailer this year for the third season? But I hope that buck you seen last year is still around, and has a couple friends ?
Thanks again!
I was surprised, there’s basically no snow by the lake. Just patches in the shade and north slopes clear past boggy. More snow on the north side of Beaver in the ponderosa’s, but it won’t get over the tops of your boots until you get up to 9000’.

But there’s PLENTY of mud. You can see these storms got the elk moving, but the deer are still walking around in the quakies up high.

I just finished up 16 days straight sun up to sun down in Gunnison on way to MT for another deer hunt now. Yes 16 I promise you I was the only one there that long. Number 2 is the correct answer. The age class is wrecked. The trophy guys were making “ mistakes” at the end —- well it looked 170, Was really a 150-155 three year old. I passed a couple around 160-mid 160s. I ate tag soup and Iam totally ok with it I worked my butt off. I got a look at better scouting and held out. Looked at 15/20 bucks a day. My comments do not really matter but iam sure a few guys will pull something special out of there. It is a beautiful place to hunt and that was worth a few points by itself. I can only imagine what it used to be. Maybe slightly reduced tags going forward and a couple more normal winters will make it better. Only one of those things can be controlled.
Edit to add. I found two yearling fork horns dead and a doe, just me. How many were out there……
Last year we saw a lot of forkies, a few nice deer, and almost nothing in between. My guess is it will be fairly rough for a few years going forward. Sounds like a ton of guys on the mountain this year compared to last, coming from buddies who were there last year and this year.

The basin has been pimped out pretty hard the last few years by various advising services. I think we’re going into a down cycle. Too much attention and too many tags.

I ate a second season tag and I didn't see a single buck worth a second look. I saw a few 160+ bucks that were taken as well as some yearlings. Lots of doe groups still wandering without a buck with them.
I would say the future for big buck hunting is not promising. I have never seen so many hunters in one area and no doubt the big bucks are laying low. No bueno!

I ate a second season tag and I didn't see a single buck worth a second look. I saw a few 160+ bucks that were taken as well as some yearlings. Lots of doe groups still wandering without a buck with them.
I would say the future for big buck hunting is not promising. I have never seen so many hunters in one area and no doubt the big bucks are laying low. No bueno!
I don’t think the big bucks are there in the numbers everyone believes. I saw two bigger deer on my Idaho general hunt than I did on my Gunnison basin hunt. That says a lot. I feel the big buck densities are incredibly low, tons of bucks, just very few big bucks.

Good luck to 3rd and 4th season Gunnison hunters. I ended up packing up camp after 5 days because of the snow. I just had a bull tag this year. There was a foot in the shaded timber when I showed up, then it snowed another five inches and it just kept snowing I was afraid I was going to have trouble getting out. I knew I couldn't hike to the park I was hoping to hunt with that much snow. I don't personally like to use chains but it might be worth it if you use them.
I did luck out last season on the third day with a 171" buck. One of the smaller bucks I've shot in the basin in the past couple of decades. Didn't see that much game this year plenty of tracks. I Did run into about a dozen does on the way out, no elk unfortunately. That's how my luck has always been around Gunnison, one good year to one slow year.

I was surprised, there’s basically no snow by the lake. Just patches in the shade and north slopes clear past boggy. More snow on the north side of Beaver in the ponderosa’s, but it won’t get over the tops of your boots until you get up to 9000’.

But there’s PLENTY of mud. You can see these storms got the elk moving, but the deer are still walking around in the quakies up high.
Ok, thank you!
Last time I was there on a third season hunt, it was in the mid to upper 60’s almost everyday, so the cooler weather is a little promising.

I’ll be sure to throw in my chains!
Thanks again!

My son had a second season buck tag for two units in northwest Colorado. We are blessed to have access to about 30,000 acres of private land. Been hunting the same land for 7 years now. This season we hunted hard and only missed hunting on Monday and Wednesday because of school.

We saw no mature bucks whatsoever. NONE! In the past we have seen some very nice bucks. Each year the number of mature bucks has declined. Extremely sad and disappointing. My son ending up not shooting anything. I was very proud of him for passing on the smaller bucks.

I fully believe the older age class, mature bucks are gone. With Colorado’s currant “management” policies the deer may never recover.

And, guess what, CWD will still be around. Just like it has for thousands of years.

My son Wyatt drew a 2nd season rifle tag in the Gunnison area this year. We made the long trek from Oregon to get there. There was 4" of snow on the ground on Thursday before the opener where we were at. I had to chain up all 4 tires to get around the BLM roads we were hunting. It was a gooey slimy MESS!

About a year and a half ago, Wyatt was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I knew this trip and hunt would be a struggle but I wanted to get his mind off of things and enjoy a fun road trip and hunt with him. He is 17 years old and I also was hoping to save the extra $300 on the NR tag. LOL.

We made camp late Thursday night. It froze hard that night and I woke up to a herd of easily 100 ELK 600 yards from camp with two big 6 point bulls bugling in them! What a sight to see! We scouted around that day and saw some bucks above camp. Nothing big. 22" 4 pt. and a 24" 2x3 with a number of does around. We talked about the 4pt. and Wyatt was wanting to hunt and kill him. In my heart I knew he wouldn't last too long on this trip with his UCD. That disease just simply wears him out and it is a struggle for him to keep up his energy.

Saturday morning Opening day came and I glassed up where the bucks had been above camp. Sure enough there was an orange vest and hat standing not 50 yards from where the bucks were the day before. I just let my son sleep in and kept glassing other areas from camp. Fortunately for us, we didn't hear any gun shots so hopefully the bucks were still around there somewhere.

That same evening I made a plan for us to hike up along an 800 yard long row of cedars and pinions and just sit back in the cover and shade and watch that hillside we saw the 4pt. on. It worked great and soon does started coming out of that area into openings we could see at 300 yards and less. An hour before dark, I spotted a big white ass and soon could see a nice rack of antlers. I told Wyatt there is a buck! He was 580 yards away so we gathered our gear and went in hot pursuit!

We closed the distance but soon it was a cat and a mouse game. The buck was hanging tight with a doe and luckily neither of them spooked really bad. I got Wyatt setup on my spotting scope with tripod as a solid rest. At 250 yards, he let the .270 kick and the 130 grain nosler found its mark right behind the shoulder! Wyatt had killed his first ever Colorado mule deer! We took some pics to capture the moment and he was really happy with him! I know he is not a monster muley but I was very grateful that my son "got one" with him battling his UCD symptoms.

The buck ended up being one we hadn't even seen yet. We had a great time together and I'm so glad he made the trip! Boy there was TONS of Orange all over the unit we were in. Side by sides everywhere. LOL! Never did see a buck over 150" but obviously we weren't there very long. Did hear of one big buck 28"+ that was with a group of does on Sunday morning. ELK hunters told us about.

2022WyattCOMuley3.jpg

2022WyattCOMuley2.jpg

2022WyattCOMuley4.jpg

Congrats to your son on his buck!! Glad you both had an enjoyable trip together. My oldest boy was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease when he was 15 (he is 19 now). Crohn’s and UC are brutal and hard for a Dad to watch your boy suffer. Best wishes to your boy!!
Thank you Sir! Ugh I feel for you! Crohn's is awful!!! Appreciate yer kinds words and I will let my son know about yer son! Best of luck to you and him! Prayers also!!!

Congratulations to your son! The smiles tell it all!

I certainly hope the cpw listens to the outcry from hunters for the next 5 year plan. It’s obviously nice having a tag in hand and they sell every tag that is available but there comes a point where the quality of game and experience is compromised. I’m certain many of us would agree that we have waited numerous years to draw high demand tags and it ends in frustration with the recent trend of smaller bucks with more hunters in the field.

Colorado crawled out of the same situation in the 80’s fairly quickly and it’s not too terribly late to switch gears once again.

One thing needs to be changed, the CPW using CWD as an excuse to increase tags with rut season dates has got to be terminated ASAP!!!! It’s a bunch of crock!!!!

One thing needs to be changed, the CPW using CWD as an excuse to increase tags with rut season dates has got to be terminated ASAP!!!! It’s a bunch of crock!!!!
Is there any appetite to separate elk and deer season? I think OTC elk tags save lots of mule deer, but when you spend a decade or 2 of points and there are elk hunters everywhere you question it.

Congratulations to your son! The smiles tell it all!

I certainly hope the cpw listens to the outcry from hunters for the next 5 year plan. It’s obviously nice having a tag in hand and they sell every tag that is available but there comes a point where the quality of game and experience is compromised. I’m certain many of us would agree that we have waited numerous years to draw high demand tags and it ends in frustration with the recent trend of smaller bucks with more hunters in the field.

Colorado crawled out of the same situation in the 80’s fairly quickly and it’s not too terribly late to switch gears once again.

Killing everything so it doesn’t die from CWD is every bit as sensible as killing does to get the buck:doe ratio back above 10.

We didn't get to start our 2nd season hunt until Tues Nov 1. We saw a ton of elk (OTC unit) and a few nice bucks.

We ran into more elk hunters than deer hunters. We both tagged out Thursday. Friday we went out to find my bipod that managed to come off of my rifle without me noticing. We were in knee deep snow, no other hunters, and some nice bucks spotted.

Screenshot_20221105-062935_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221106-073251_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221103-223735_Gallery.jpg

Anyone that is concerned about quality vs quantity better speak up in the next 5 year period.

A lot of hunters may not be aware of how poor the quality of deer was in Colo when all deer units were otc. When Colo converted to all draw it didn’t take too many years and Colo became world reknown for mature B&C bucks.

The current trend in Colo is heading back to hunting pressure and quality of bucks back in the otc days!

I agree that it would be be great having a segment of units set aside in Colo to produce mature muley bucks and bull elk. It's obvious the demand is present to draw quality unit 2 and 10 elk tags with the opportunity to harvest a little older age class bulls and the same should be true with at least a couple mule deer units!

It wasn't too many years ago Utah was re-writing the B&C books for 400+ class bulls in multiple limited units across Utah. Resident hunters complained so more tags were issued. Take a look at how many 400+ class bulls have been harvested in Utah the past few years! The same thing is happening in Colo with muley bucks with across the board with rut season dates plus an increase in deer tags in each and every unit.

It certainly would be nice for those that have invested 20+ years of pref pts knowing they will have a quality experience with quality bucks available. Utah has a few "premium" deer units set aside with extremely limited tags....but the remaining deer units across the state offer opportunity. There are a few scattered units across Utah that aren't considered "premium" that are fairly limited tags that offer better quality bucks available with a bit of work and boot leather.

Hopefully the CPW will at least manage a few units across Colo for quality rather than quantity mule deer in their next 5 year plan!

We Had Units That Were Quality!

But Once They Reached QUALITY Levels The Opportunists & The DWR Have Worked Them Over Perty Good As Well for nothing More Than GREED & MONEY!

Our Deer Herd Is In PISS POOR Shape!

But Hey!

Maybe Selling More Tags & Adding More Hunts Will Fix it!

WAFJ!

I listened to a good podcast that interviewed a CDW biologist in Gunnison and the director for the Gunnison Mule Deer group. There is no way the CDW is going to manage for higher buck to doe ratios again after that bad 2008 winter with the deer that were wasted out on the winter range. They're going to manage at a buck:doe ratio that is near minimum. Add to that, the CWD management experiment, hunting public land in Colorado is an opportunity only and some areas are going to take decades of points and some barely any, but in no way trophy quality is going to be based on the pref. pts required. Trophy potential going forward is going to be up to hunters staying off the trigger on younger bucks just like it is in most over-the-counter units in the west.

Unfortunately the majority of hunters that wait 20+ years to draw a tag are going to shoot the biggest buck or bull they can find. Obviously the fewer tags that are issued the more older age class bucks survive.

One of the biggest favors the CPW could do is return to the old rifle season dates out of the rut! The earlier rifle season dates worked well for years and years. Obviously older age class bucks are tougher to find earlier in the season and have a better chance to survive the gauntlet of late rifle hunters and seasons. There is also less likelihood of snow bringing older age bucks down on the winter ranges.

Just switching back to earlier rifle season dates would be a huge step in the right direction and wouldn’t impact opportunity to draw the same number of tags.

I was in the Gunnison basin for 6 days. I saw an incredible amount of deer, didn’t see anything I would even remotely think is worthy of burning the points required to draw. I killed the oldest/biggest deer I saw, had great backs but weak fronts. I camped next to a few guys who were also getting after it, nothing over 170 ever even seen. It was a fun hunt for the amount of deer and bucks seen, but I would of thought in 6 days of glassing from sun up to sun down with snow etc that I would of seen some better deer. Oh well, I am out of the points game now and can start hunting every year!

View attachment 92531
Congrats!

My son Wyatt drew a 2nd season rifle tag in the Gunnison area this year. We made the long trek from Oregon to get there. There was 4" of snow on the ground on Thursday before the opener where we were at. I had to chain up all 4 tires to get around the BLM roads we were hunting. It was a gooey slimy MESS!

About a year and a half ago, Wyatt was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I knew this trip and hunt would be a struggle but I wanted to get his mind off of things and enjoy a fun road trip and hunt with him. He is 17 years old and I also was hoping to save the extra $300 on the NR tag. LOL.

We made camp late Thursday night. It froze hard that night and I woke up to a herd of easily 100 ELK 600 yards from camp with two big 6 point bulls bugling in them! What a sight to see! We scouted around that day and saw some bucks above camp. Nothing big. 22" 4 pt. and a 24" 2x3 with a number of does around. We talked about the 4pt. and Wyatt was wanting to hunt and kill him. In my heart I knew he wouldn't last too long on this trip with his UCD. That disease just simply wears him out and it is a struggle for him to keep up his energy.

Saturday morning Opening day came and I glassed up where the bucks had been above camp. Sure enough there was an orange vest and hat standing not 50 yards from where the bucks were the day before. I just let my son sleep in and kept glassing other areas from camp. Fortunately for us, we didn't hear any gun shots so hopefully the bucks were still around there somewhere.

That same evening I made a plan for us to hike up along an 800 yard long row of cedars and pinions and just sit back in the cover and shade and watch that hillside we saw the 4pt. on. It worked great and soon does started coming out of that area into openings we could see at 300 yards and less. An hour before dark, I spotted a big white ass and soon could see a nice rack of antlers. I told Wyatt there is a buck! He was 580 yards away so we gathered our gear and went in hot pursuit!

We closed the distance but soon it was a cat and a mouse game. The buck was hanging tight with a doe and luckily neither of them spooked really bad. I got Wyatt setup on my spotting scope with tripod as a solid rest. At 250 yards, he let the .270 kick and the 130 grain nosler found its mark right behind the shoulder! Wyatt had killed his first ever Colorado mule deer! We took some pics to capture the moment and he was really happy with him! I know he is not a monster muley but I was very grateful that my son "got one" with him battling his UCD symptoms.

The buck ended up being one we hadn't even seen yet. We had a great time together and I'm so glad he made the trip! Boy there was TONS of Orange all over the unit we were in. Side by sides everywhere. LOL! Never did see a buck over 150" but obviously we weren't there very long. Did hear of one big buck 28"+ that was with a group of does on Sunday morning. ELK hunters told us about.

View attachment 92664
View attachment 92665
View attachment 92666
Congrats to your son!

View attachment 92664
View attachment 92665
View attachment 92666
Congrats to you and Wyatt. I love the double throat patch on that buck!
I hope the information I gave you was helpful.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom