How long have you gone between hunts??

kilowatt

This year I will not be hunting at all and no fishing either. The last time this had happened with me was in 1984.
I transferred jobs in 1983 and got some local blacktail hunting done and that was it that year....nothing.
In 1984, my wife and I had saved up vacation and took a month off of work and I drove to Alaska to fish a week in Valdez with friends of ours. Then down to Kenai where my mom & step-dad were at his oldest sons place. Fished on Kenai one day.....nothing but "reds" but had a good time.
I made a point that I would not "stay home" from that point forward, I would go hunting somewhere and did.
Well this year I will not be hunting at all. Have two planned trips this year, one is down to Las Vegas in August for a Army reunion of buddies from Vietnam and then in Nov. flying back to Saigon, VN for a 2 week visit after coming home from there in late 1972.....been 44 years since I left there.
I have bought points again this year in 3 states and will continue in 2017 on another Out of State hunt. Have scheduled with DR. for this Dec for a left knee partial replacement of that knee. So after the early part of 2017 will be getting that joint exercised and be ready for fall of 2017 and hunting season at the ripe old age of 75. Days are getting shorter for my hunting activity but need to do it to keep sane....or maybe insane which ever one feels the best. Have a great hunting season fellas, and good luck to all of you.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Hey Brian, thanks for your service and welcome to the 75 yr old club. It's a lonely place where you have less and less living friends from the old days to call . But, my advice, surround yourself with positive people and look forward to your next hunt,
Bill

Kilo have a great time on those two vacations and a great hunt in 2017. Hope you use that knife on a trophy animal.

RELH

Start bird hunting, upland bird hunting in my case. you can hunt something somewhere from the first of September until February.

I like to draw a good tag as much as anyone but I really don't care much anymore I just spend more time after chukar.

I've never gone a year without a big game tag of some kind but it would suck I'm sure.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

You should be very happy and proud of yourself Brian.

With all the outdoor activities/hunting you do and hitting 75 years of age is tremendous to still do.

Best of recovery on your knee and your 2017 hunting plans.

Ya know us ex-Navy.......always going for it!

Robb

I've had at least 1 big game tag in my pocket every fall the last 35yrs. With any luck I will the next 35 as well!

Brian, enjoy your "time off" this year, and come back in 2017 ready to go. I've got 2 deer tags to fill this year so far, so I'll dedicate one to you.

I've taken plenty of time off from big game hunting over the years. I can't remember a year that I didn't buy a hunting license though.

Kilo,
You'll miss it but it sounds like you're busy enough that it won't be too painful (the knee is another issue).

Usahunter said to surround yourself with good people. Some of them are here on MM. Not a bad place to hang!

I've gone 47 years straight with at least one big game hunt and usually multiple varmint, bird and small game hunts. They're all spectacular from doves to moose!

Thank your for your service. I hope your return trip is everything you're looking for. It going to be good!

Zeke

Good luck, have a great year ahead, and hope it is all you imagine it will be. With the exception of my service years 1970-76, I have managed to hunt at least one big game animal every year since. My five knee surgeries have fallen in the Spring or Summer months, and I may have been limping or on a cane with a knee brace, but I hunted as hard as I dared.

WOW that a bunch of old timers. I thought everybody from the over 60 crowd had quit hunting except me. 58 years of hunting big game in Utah from one end of the state to the other.

Hawkeye, Your comments were not funny, however I now have two new knees and ready for another 58 years, if I can just remember where I put my gun. :)

Now you can see how it is. That was on another topic that Hawkeye responded to and if you are interested in what he said, you'll have to search. I can't remember where it's at. :)

Kilo,
Thank you for your service in VT. I've always admired and respected VT veterans as well as all other Vefs. In my opinion now and it always has been, the VT war was justified and we still benefit today from the young and women who sacrificed so much in our behalf. Fraught with nasty Political Chess but you guys held a line in the sand against World wide aggression, long enough to break it's back and create a new era of freedom, through a large portion of the World. We owe you big time!

I hope, as you travel back, to those places and to those memories, that you will carry with you the knowledge that there's a whole bunch of us that appreciate all you did and continue to do.

I got my first big game tag in 1961. I chose not to hunt in 1968 and 69. I've not missed a big game tag/hunt since. Cannonball will have to help me add that up if the number of actual years really matters. Cannonball is smarter than me, so that tells you a lot about how intelligent I am :)
I have had a lot of permits over the years. There was a time my family needed the meat, so we combined the recreational aspects and cost of hunting with putting food on the table. It was always more expensive than buying beef, pork or chicken but it is what we wanted to spend our limited funds on, so we hunted and we eat it. I figured it was a better deal for the family than just spending the same money to golf or ski or go on Disneyland trips, because it put food in the locker while we we're enjoying our vacations and weekends in the outdoors.

We raised five great kids but they have been long gone from our kitchen table so our demand for meat has changed, so has the call for our limited resources so Mom and I can eat beef, pork and chicken now. So I prefer to hunt for less ergent reasons now, plus we're both retire so I can now hunt 365 days a year. I no longer kill for meat, I hunt for the love of the lifestyle and I only kill if I come across an animal I want. Some call me a trophy hunter but I've killed very few animals that true large antler hunters would consider trophy sized. Never killed anything that would quality for any sort of record, except my own records.

I'll hunt personally as long as my limited mind and my abused body will allow me to. I'll accompany family and friends often but I will kill only if I see one I want. I love deer liver. I could actually kill a deer just for the liver, of course I'd eat the rest of it or give it to some in the family/community that needed/wanted it.

I still apply in numerous States for deer, elk, mt. Goat, antelope, bear and moose. Never met a big horn I wanted to kill. Never have had a thing for sheep, like some of you boys. ;-). But...... at age 69 I'm starting to see the hunting path begin to get more narrow, steeper and slippery. I hate to admit it, but there will come a time....... like 1968, that I'll decide to set a couple more out!

Have a great year, setting 2016 out, Kilo. Be safe.

DC

Last time for me was when I from age 0-5 for hunting. Fishing I went from 0-18 months old. If I miss a year, either dead or in a comma and when I wake up they better get out of my way cause I am heading to the lake :D

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Dang Lumpy you sure know how to make a guy feel good about himself and tear him down in one sentence. I think I can outrun you now even if I do have more whiskers(age).

One of the hardest things I ever did, as a young man, was to give up hunting for a couple of years while serving a church mission. Plenty of my friends also missed hunting seasons as they served in Nam just like Kilo. Unfortunately some gave their all and never got to hunt again.
Hats off to you Kilo and All of who have served our country!

I too, have had many wonderful seasons afield, compiling a boatload of great memories. And while I have almost 5 consecutive decades of tag toting, I am at a point where taking an animal is secondary to the experience. I find great satisfaction glassing for animals and helping younger hunters fill their dreams.

I have a few critters left on my "bucket list", and having a permit for any of them would "up the ante". But going forward, I am OK with some missed seasons, as long as someone will let me tag along.

LAST EDITED ON May-21-16 AT 09:02PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-21-16 AT 09:01?PM (MST)

Right on, littlebighorn. As it should be, IMO.

Cannonball, I only speak the truth, always ;-) Regarding a foot race, we'll never know, but you're right again, you could out run me, I can't run, or at least I wont try.

And those whiskers......... the real white, nasty ones............ all gone. Ten years and 11 months of hiding behind a false face, gone. My Grandkids are still looking for that ugly old man.

No, it's not very pretty either. A lot of "bad" can evolve behind a white beard, in ten years! I forget how hard to look at it really was until I came out from behind it. So did Toni! She's not a happy camper!!!!

DC

you're going to have to sell your bear. :) The only reason for a beard anyway is to have a good hunting image. Just look at all of the hunting guides, they all look alike.

cannonball, I shaved my macho beard off some years ago. The white didn't go with my camo pattern so well. :)

DC, now that you've admitted it, I'll come out of the closet and say I love deer liver too. My hunting started out as a way to provide for family, same as you.

One thing I refuse to give into though.....a flat billed cap. Sorry. :D

LAST EDITED ON May-22-16 AT 08:31PM (MST)[p]Dang, I've had to think about it a little. Probably the longest I sat out was 2 years when I was stationed in Turkey the first time. The next tour I was all over wild boar, quail, chuckar and duck hunting. I've been very fortunate since I moved to NM 10 years ago. Elk every year except maybe 1, antelope (public draw) 3 years in a row up until this year. I'm chasing cow elk again in November and have a desert sheep tag in December. Like a lot of the rest of you, I'm not sure how many more years I've got (I'm 59), but as long as the tag Gods keep smiling, I'll go!

Phil

CB I always figured a nasty beard was easy on the eyes than an ugly face. Toni pretty much confirmed it, many times this week!

Not many of us liver eaters left eel, we need to organize a Survivers Association".

If we're going to start confessing our closet secrets..........I was so desperate last fall I started checking gut piles, and I was doing pretty good too, until my son ratted me out to my wife. Thought I raised that boy with better judgement!'

DC

Hello, my name is DW, and my favorite elk meal is liver and onions the night of the kill. It's been 7 months since my last bite of fresh elk liver!

P.S. I refuse to give up my chin whiskers, even if they are mostly white!

Thanks for all the replies fellas, and the best wishes too on my trip back to Vietnam this fall. I arrived in Vietnam on May 8, 1965 which is just over 51 years ago.
There are so many "new" places to see and places I plan on going to that I had never been before. No bars like when I was there but then I doubt if they would have my Crown Royal there either...lol

There is also a "new Air Vietnam plane" over there owned by a very pretty 45 year old lady and the Stewarts have Bikini Options for uniforms. I plan on flying from old Saigon to Danang on one of those planes and back to Saigon before returning home to USA. Pictures will follow late this year.

Have a great year guys/gals and be safe.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I'll bet Kilo has et a few piles of deer guts too.

Actually DW, I'm not right sure if elk livers quality, they are not near the same guality as the ole muley's. We'll need to call a brotherhood meeting to see if we can amend the membership rules.

Maybe if you promise to upgrade this year we can get'em to bring you iin on a kind of a probation type deal. :)

Kilo, how you going to find your way home from there, without being able to point your wagon tongue at old North Star.

DC

kilowatt,et al:

#1 Kilo, from Me to You and with my deepest feelings, allow me to say: Thank YOU, for, your Service.

This goes for the others you served with, known and not known. We lost a Family member there (Jet Pilot) whom was never recovered. Two other family members flew Troop Helicopters, one almost lost his Rotor's when a 2x4 was tossed up from a ridge top out of now where.

usahunter (post 1) said something that rings hard with me. I routinely receive Sheriff's Dept Retiree emails about friends who have passed away, often, no more than a year of five into retirement. Statistics seem to indicate folks from such a life/career do routinely pass within one year. usahunter, I sure do understand your meaning. Wish I did not.

2lumpy, eelgrass, DW and the rest, YOU ARE impressive men. fireball77, You're quite above the rest. Thank you for being You.

Today in Hanoi the Arms embargo has been lifted, major commercial contracts signed and kilowatt, due to your generation, Vietnam is now a strong Ally supporting us, not China....amazing.

Kilo, maybe while there you can locate a Water Buffalo to blast...?

If I stay with MM's, I can only Dream of having such a wonderful support group as shown above, in time. Not to sound like a Bible thumper, it is unique how Jesus allows some of us to get through bad places and still be happy in mind and spirit. Just as odd, is I just made a Post in Campfire asking for All Stories, be it one's own or a family or relative, WWII forward + war bring backs. I hope you will kick off the thread with some stories.....maybe pictures also. Inquiring minds, want to know :)

Jagerdad

Great comments on this thread. I also have huge respect and appreciation for Kilo and the rest of you who have served in the military and sacrificed to protect the rest of us. Thank you for your service.

I have had at least one big game tag every year since I was old enough to hunt (14) with the exception of when I served a mission for my church. Foregoing hunting for those two years may have been the most difficult part of that experience.

Cannonball, you will have to refresh my recollection as to my comments on the other thread. I don't remember what I posted but I hope it was respectful. I appreciate you and the other more experienced gentlemen on this forum. I enjoy reading your comments and hearing about your experiences -- even when we disagree on issues of conservation and wildlife management. There is much more that unites us than divides us.

-Hawkeye-

>There is much more that
>unites us than divides us.
>
>
>-Hawkeye-

Think the that's yer signature hawkeye.

hear you go Haweye:

I don't like that Jazzy talk, time moves to fast. :)

Hawkeye (1635 posts) Click to EMail Hawkeye Click to send private message to Hawkeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
May-19-16, 07:38 AM (MST)
19. "RE: GOT MY UNSUCCESSFUL E-MAIL!!!"
Bessy has had a terrible string of luck. Just so the record is clear, how many elk points are you sitting on Cat?

When he finally draws, we should all pitch in to hire Black Timber Outfitters to help him bag a trophy and pack his tail around the mountain (because he may be too hold to do it himself and his Jazzy will be limited to groomed roads).

-Hawkeye-

Easy there cannonball. I did not intend to strike a nerve with you on that other thread. I was simply trying to see the humor in the fact that it seems like Bobcat has been chasing a certain LE elk tag since I joined this site in 2000. My comment about the Jazzy Scooter was not intended to offend the more experienced hunters on this site. Rather, I was merely sharing in the Cat's frustration and having a little fun. Best of luck with your new knees and I hope you enjoy many more years in the field.

-Hawkeye-

This has been my favorite thread on Monster Muley's ever. It is amazing to see your passion for hunting and serving our country. THANK YOU to all of you who have served.

This has been an interesting thread. Started hunting at 16 then two years later military and then a 2 year mission for my church. Hunted every year after in Utah and Wyoming till 8 years ago when I just started to buy deer points and go as a spectator. Shot my limited entry elk in 2012 with a muzzy and ended up being packed off the mountain. My heart doesn't like me. This year I put in so my adopted grandson could have his first year guaranteed. Drew and will mentor my granddaughter with my tag. Killed enough, but always helping others. For those of you with a tag this year, good luck. For those without, there is always next year. In the meantime I will enjoy fishing with the grandkids.

I was certainly wasn't offended, just having fun. Old age is creeping in, I can't even spell "here". See how it is!

In the ol' days, I like many, would wake up at 3:00 am anticipating opening morning. Believe me the effort is much greater to get excited today. I, my two sons, and my grandson all drew for Monroe. Trouble is we talked about the ML hunt of which they drew. I had cancelled that hunt and put in with my grandson on the rifle hunt so he was guaranteed a hunt (ya see, he can now hunt all three hunts.) You think I care about not hunting with the kids - not in the least. I'll be there and get to use my fishing pole also.

I'm sure I am like a lot of you. The blood letting is gone. The deer I'm after is in the deepest, darkest hole and I can't get there.

One other thing: I refuse to go to senior citizen luncheons with my friends and I refuse to eat liver.

That is for old people and I am not old.:)

Deer liver is the bomb but elk liver is best used in a family scrapple recipe. My wife loves all wild game but only likes about 1 piece of liver per year. That's okay, I can eat on one for a week and be just content not to share.

Some of you guys sound OLD! I still have sleepless nights before a big hunt and more of the same when I'm taking my daughters out on a cow hunt!

The excitement is still burning strong within me but family, good food, a warm camp and success for the kids is more important now.

Keep up the good work Kilo,
Zeke

Sometimes when your surrounded with crazies and your normal, you start to think it's you that's slipped a cog. We are the one's loosing it Zeke, not you. Hang on to that passion and excitement for as long as you can man! It's not all that cool, over here in the infirmary!

And............... I had to look up that word you used, I thought it was a board game but when said it was a recipe, it threw me off. :)

No sure I could bring myself make one of scrapple things but they do look like they'd taste darn good, on a sandwich.

Clearly, you married right, if the Mrs. will eat any liver, once a year or other wise, you scored a winner. I have to smuggle liver in my kitchen when my wife is on an extended visit to see the grandkids. Then............ I have to burn a box of matches, or she's on me like ornery on cannonball ;-)

DC

>Don't be stingy with that scrappel
>recipe zeke!

The batch I made with last Fall's elk liver was awesome! If you weren't so far away I'd share a block of it (in the freezer).

I used elk liver, moose burger, yellow corn meal and other fresh seasonings. I love to cut off a slice, fry in butter until crispy on the outside, while my eggs cook. YUM!

I'll get the reciped PM'ed to you in the next couple days.

Zeke

Oh ya Kenny, It wasn't chicken livers........ Those are only good for Snapple! But, NEVER, EVER get in front of me, when it''s the last gizzard left in the Flying J deli!

Would'nt trade'em for deer liver and fried onions but gizzards have a pretty high culinary rating around here.

How you feeling today?

Lumpy,

When my Dad and Uncles got old they talked just like you. Then they ate a good hunk of cheese to go along with it and expected us to stay in the tent or cabin with them. When morning rolled around you were glad to go hunting and get out of the rancid shelter.

Those were all wise men, living each phase of their spectacular lives to the fullest.

Then your Momma put you in long pants she expected you behave like a young man and to stop behaving like a diaper wetting infant.

As we age, people with dignity and moral character gracefully transition from one phase/stage of life, to the next. It's nauseating for older women to dress and behave like 18 year olds, with their saggy butts in their short skirts. Same is true for old men who dye their hair and hold there farts.

"Proper" old men, represent a befitting maturity and respect for bodily functions. Rancid is term better applied to young men, beer, boiled eggs, and habanero chile, where as old men experience an intentional flatus reduction, timed and controlled to create space in the confined constraints of a over crowded wall tent. And we don't need cheese.

You'll understand, should you ever grow up! :D

Beside, people with early stages of dementia begin to experience a noticeable loss of smell, so I haven't experienced any early morning olfactory invasions for many years now. Have you checked your peanut butter jar lately. They say the left nostril goes first!

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom