How long in freezer?

CNEDEER

How long can a non-caped head stay in the freezer and still be able to be tanned?
I shot an antelope this year I wanted to mount. It was put in the freezer within a couple hours of shooting it and been frozen ever since. I ended up shooting a deer a few days later that I want to mount first. I sent him to the taxi and want to hold off on the lope as long as possible ($). How much time do I have?

When your wife or girl friend tell you to get the thing out of the freezer or she will do it for you...j/k

Don't know that answer.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

It would be preferable for you to take it out now and get it to the taxidermist and have him take care of it! the problem with doing that is the ears and nose and eyelids and things that are thin skinned will freezer burn. I do not know the exact answer to that question but i am positive that you should not do it for very long. In your best interest take it out tomorrow and bring it to your taxi and have him thaw it and then cape it out. He can then freeze it rolled up face in or get it tanned then rehydrate and freeze it. Good Luck. Find the horn Goose!

The answer really depends on your freezer. If your freezer creates a lot of moisture, it will freezer burn quick (2 years). If your freezer creates a lot of ice in the bottom and sides you will know you are getting a lot of moisture. If you have a nice freezer it can last a long time (5 years plus) WE just tanned two deer capes that were frozen for 6 years and they were fine.
Curtis
Monarch Mt. Taxidermy

CNEDEER it all depends on how you stored it in the freezer. If you just put the skin in the freezer it wont last long but if you put it in a garbage bag and got all of the air out of it and tied it off it can last a very long time.

quest

T, just defrost it and bring it to me, I'll cape the thing and roll it good.

Just took a mule deer cape to my taxi that has been in the freezer for 3 years....no problemo.

Pred

I know this is a really old post, but it’s what came up in the search bar first when I started typing.
So my first question was answered above on how long a cape will keep not tanned if done properly.
My question is now, how long will a cape/hide stay good in the freezer if it’s wet tanned properly. Is it the same scenarios as a none tanned cape/hide? Still just depends on how it was rolled, wrapped, etc? Does the type of animal make a difference on how long it will keep elk, sheep, deer, goat, antelope, etc?
Thanks for any feedback!

Not exactly sure on frozen wet tanns. I just mounted my personal Aoudad that was in the freezer for about 6 years with Zero problems. If you are gonna keep a skin in the freezer for a very long time put it in a waxed lined dog food bag.

I'm assuming the wax lined keeps it from getting freezer burnt, the dog food may add extra insulation if left in the bag. ? ?

Not exactly sure on frozen wet tanns. I just mounted my personal Aoudad that was in the freezer for about 6 years with Zero problems. If you are gonna keep a skin in the freezer for a very long time put it in a waxed lined dog food bag.
Thanks, I have a Desert sheep that’s been wet tanned since December of 2016. I just need to get it done!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom