How Many Does it Take..?

Bates7

Hey fellow hunting brethren. I have been a resident of AZ since the day I was born back in the 60's. I have 8 elk BP's going into this year's draw. My question is, how many BP's does it usually take for a resident to draw an early bull tag? I thought that this year would be my year but there hasn't been any charges to the CC yet. I should add that I put in with a buddy of mine who has 7 BP. I know the law of averages when putting in with someone else but I figured his 7 and my 8 wouldn't make much of a difference. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.

The early rut rifle and muzzleloader bull tags take 20+ bonus points to be considered in the max point draw. There is a chance to draw in the random draws but the odds are 1-2%

Last edited:
Well... there’s you’re problem. Some of the hardest tags to draw in the state. You’re a long ways out with 8. Maybe you should look at the odds of drawing, might enlighten you just a little, and broaden your application strategy. Plenty of good websites out there with draw information. A little effort and research on your end could go a long way.

Unless you draw a random tag (1% or so odds) you won't draw one of the early tags you mentioned in your lifetime. So, you might want to begin doing some research on the late ones. As has been mentioned you should take a look at the draw odds and formulate a strategy.

With 8 points depending on age you may not live long enough to draw an early bull rifle tag I have 23 points as NR and I’m still waiting

Hey fellow hunting brethren. I have been a resident of AZ since the day I was born back in the 60's. I have 8 elk BP's going into this year's draw. My question is, how many BP's does it usually take for a resident to draw an early bull tag? I thought that this year would be my year but there hasn't been any charges to the CC yet. I should add that I put in with a buddy of mine who has 7 BP. I know the law of averages when putting in with someone else but I figured his 7 and my 8 wouldn't make much of a difference. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.
A friend of mine finally just got drawn as a resident with 23 points

Unless you draw a random tag (1% or so odds) you won't draw one of the early tags you mentioned in your lifetime. So, you might want to begin doing some research on the late ones. As has been mentioned you should take a look at the draw odds and formulate a strategy.
Believe me I have done extensive research guys. I am 52 and I've been hunting since I was 14 right here in AZ. I have grown up trying to stay in tune with the AZ G&F and their ways. I was just curious on some your thoughts and experiences. Good luck to all who drew a tag and thanks for the input.

So...... Either I drew a bad tag (7W- LRB), God smiled on me, or I should buy a Powerball ticket? Drew the tag with 2 Bonus Points average for two hunters.

Believe me I have done extensive research guys. I am 52 and I've been hunting since I was 14 right here in AZ. I have grown up trying to stay in tune with the AZ G&F and their ways. I was just curious on some your thoughts and experiences. Good luck to all who drew a tag and thanks for the input.
I think people are confused because your post implies that you thought 8 points was enough yet you still say you've done extensive research. It wouldn't take extensive research to know that you have a better shot at finding the lost dutchman treasure than you do at drawing a 27 or 3c early rifle bull tag with 8 points. You'd be much better off to learn to shoot a bow or apply for much lower quality tags. Unless you get super lucky you will probably be 70 years or older before you draw if you are lucky. Not trying to be rude, but if you've been hunting arizona for as long as you say you have then you should be fully aware of the points game that Arizona is.

I think people are confused because your post implies that you thought 8 points was enough yet you still say you've done extensive research. It wouldn't take extensive research to know that you have a better shot at finding the lost dutchman treasure than you do at drawing a 27 or 3c early rifle bull tag with 8 points. You'd be much better off to learn to shoot a bow or apply for much lower quality tags. Unless you get super lucky you will probably be 70 years or older before you draw if you are lucky. Not trying to be rude, but if you've been hunting arizona for as long as you say you have then you should be fully aware of the points game that Arizona is.
Thanks for the message. Do you think 9 or 10 points are enough for an early bull archery tag? On a side note, as the population grows in AZ the odds for resident hunters goes down. The experts are forecasting Phx. to grow by 1 million this decade.

Last edited:
You can draw some “mid tier” archery elk hunts with 9 or 10 points. I think there are some good hunts in there... but it’s not the famous units like 9, 27, 1, 23, 3AC, etc.

Early rifle bull. Units 27, 3ac & 5b.

2020 resident
unit 27 res rifle, bonus pass; 3 drew with 22, 2 drew at 21
unit 3a/3c res rifle, 1 drew at 23, 3 drew at 22

"Do you think 9 or 10 points are enough for an early bull archery tag?"
if the unit starts with a 4, 5, or 6

You can always draw in the 1-2 pass if you get a good random number.

If you're looking at the draw reports on AZG&F, you also gotta have the regulations guide to know the hunt codes. Once the guides disappear from the site, it makes it more difficult to figure out. Code #'s can and do change from year to year.

Good luck in your endeavor!

Game and Fish was/were going to stop printing the regs, and go completely on-line. Not sure if this happened yet. So you'll have to create a folder, and start saving the regs on your computer.

My understanding of this was the paper applications were ending, not the printed regulations. If they stop printing them you can always print or save copies from the website.

Thanks for the message. Do you think 9 or 10 points are enough for an early bull archery tag? On a side note, as the population grows in AZ the odds for resident hunters goes down. The experts are forecasting Phx. to grow by 1 million this decade.
Absolutely. As a Resident you could draw any tag in the state with some luck in the regular pool. Spoke to someone today who Drew Unit 9 Archery with only a few points.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom