How many of you use 8x binos?

dryflyelk

Time for an informal poll.

I've run 8x binos for a while now and I've loved them. I am considering, however, grabbing a pair of alpha 10s. How many of you use 8x for your western hunting? And if so, how often do you wish you had 10s, if ever?

The weight of the 8x32 ultravid is calling me...19 oz...mmmm...

I use 7 or 8x. When I can't get what I need from them it is usually time for more x's than 10. My personal two cents worth.

You have to ask yourself-what are you going to gain/lose? 8's will give you light,field of view,and steadiness. 10's will only give you power and are a little bit more difficult to keep steady. 3 of my closest friends and brother all use the Swaro 8.5x42 EL's and they will tell you they do not feel under powered because they gained such a wide F.O.V,one the brightest 8's on the planet, and they are lightweight to boot. Even when mounted on a tripod I've never heard them wish they had 10's. You'll always gain/lose something no matter what you choose. Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision. Love the Leicas as well. CDN

Since I am usually in open Coues country, my staple is the 10+15 Duovid. I imagine they would be just as useful for open country muleys. But for in the timber for archery elk and deer and elk, I find the FOV too limiting and am considering a pair of 7x36 Zens. So I would say that your terrain may dictate your needs.

SteveC- did you get my PM?

Doug~RR

View my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
WetlandsWinterSignature.jpg

In our society bigger is thought to be better... but not with optics. The light weight, ease of use, field of view and great eye relief found on a quality 8x is fantastic. I almost always have a 15x bino or a spotting scope in my pack to get a closer look at what I find with the handy 8x binos. Something to think about! The Leica 8x32 Ultravids are hard to beat for ease of use and clarity. NJS

I too use 8x for almost all of my glassing. I do have a spotting scope that comes into use on those rare occasions when I really do need more power. Thing is when I do NEED more power 10x just isn't going to cut it anyway so why waste room in my pack, weight, money, on something that is marginally useful anyway, IMHO

Now about those 8x32's.......All the excellent coatings in the world just can't make a 4mm exit pupil perform as well as say a 4.5 or 5+ mm exit pupil. And I'm not just refering to twilight/low light situations. Looking in bright light into deep shadows especially at distances of 400yds plus, that 4mm exit pupil is going to have some serious limitations. Have you considered at least an 8x36 or 8x40+????

I love my 8x Leica Ultravids. I hunted relatively open ground in NM last year and was able to spot game just as effectively as the guys using 10x or greater maybe even more so in low light.

I used the 10x50 swaro's for a few years and loved them except for the weight. Then I compared them to some 7 power swaro's in the field and couldn't believe how little difference there was in bringing deer in close. So I traded and bought a pair of 8.5 x 42 swaro's and have been happier ever since.

I use 8X42 (Ultravids)

I do a lot of glassing standing, on the go.

8x is easier to hold steady.

If I have time and a good place to park and really glass, out come the 15 X and the tripod.

I have a pair 0f 8x30 swaro's that I use alot.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

>Now about those 8x32's.......All the excellent
>coatings in the world just
>can't make a 4mm exit
>pupil perform as well as
>say a 4.5 or 5+
>mm exit pupil. And I'm
>not just refering to twilight/low
>light situations. Looking in bright
>light into deep shadows especially
>at distances of 400yds plus,
>that 4mm exit pupil is
>going to have some serious
>limitations. Have you considered at
>least an 8x36 or 8x40+????
>

Maybe you should quit reading the tech data sheets and use a quality glass in the real world... Every 8x32 has the same technical specs if the magnification and objective lens size is equal... The quality of the design, material, workmanship and optical system do make a difference. NJS

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-10 AT 03:17AM (MST)[p]>
>>Now about those 8x32's.......All the excellent
>>coatings in the world just
>>can't make a 4mm exit
>>pupil perform as well as
>>say a 4.5 or 5+
>>mm exit pupil. And I'm
>>not just refering to twilight/low
>>light situations. Looking in bright
>>light into deep shadows especially
>>at distances of 400yds plus,
>>that 4mm exit pupil is
>>going to have some serious
>>limitations. Have you considered at
>>least an 8x36 or 8x40+????
>>
>
>Maybe you should quit reading the
>tech data sheets and use
>a quality glass in the
>real world... Every 8x32 has
>the same technical specs if
>the magnification and objective lens
>size is equal... The quality
>of the design, material, workmanship
>and optical system do make
>a difference. NJS

NJS are you just plain STUPID or what.

Did I mention a different mfg than what the original poster refered. GO ahead and look dip*&%^. Why don't you pull your head out of your A$$ and reply to what I was refering to. USING A BINO WITH A LARGER OBJECTIVE LENS. I made no reference to not using high quality anything or a different mfg(leica).

I know you think you really have a handle on optics since you own a Leica Trinovid. That alone automatically shows how saavy you are and now you are in the EXCLUSIVE club. I own one also but I don't qualify because I'm not afraid to talk up other high quality optics that you haven't taken the time to evaluate.

Problem is everyone here knows the club you belong to is the dipsh*t club.

I have used my Swarovski 8x30 SLC's for a few years now. They are great for wearing on the harness as they are relatively light weight and very stable. I have been using Brunton Eternas in 11x45 for longer range stuff off the tripod. I recently bought a pair of Zen Ray 10x43 ED-2's. I just got them last weekend and am very impressed so far.

I use 8x43s. I tried 10x, but felt like i could hand hold the 8s a little steadier, and pick up a little low light visibility. If i really need to bring something in close, i'll dig out the scope or my 15x binocs.

8x50 Merlins. Good enuff for now, but I might upgrade if the right deal shows up. I definately like the eye cups that shield the light from the sides +++

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-10
>AT 03:17?AM (MST)

>
>>
>>>Now about those 8x32's.......All the excellent
>>>coatings in the world just
>>>can't make a 4mm exit
>>>pupil perform as well as
>>>say a 4.5 or 5+
>>>mm exit pupil. And I'm
>>>not just refering to twilight/low
>>>light situations. Looking in bright
>>>light into deep shadows especially
>>>at distances of 400yds plus,
>>>that 4mm exit pupil is
>>>going to have some serious
>>>limitations. Have you considered at
>>>least an 8x36 or 8x40+????
>>>
>>
>>Maybe you should quit reading the
>>tech data sheets and use
>>a quality glass in the
>>real world... Every 8x32 has
>>the same technical specs if
>>the magnification and objective lens
>>size is equal... The quality
>>of the design, material, workmanship
>>and optical system do make
>>a difference. NJS
>
>NJS are you just plain STUPID
>or what.
>
>Did I mention a different mfg
>than what the original poster
>refered. GO ahead and look
>dip*&%^. Why don't you pull
>your head out of your
>A$$ and reply to what
>I was refering to. USING
>A BINO WITH A LARGER
>OBJECTIVE LENS. I made no
>reference to not using high
>quality anything or a different
>mfg(leica).
>
>I know you think you really
>have a handle on optics
>since you own a Leica
>Trinovid. That alone automatically shows
>how saavy you are and
>now you are in the
>EXCLUSIVE club. I own one
>also but I don't qualify
>because I'm not afraid to
>talk up other high quality
>optics that you haven't taken
>the time to evaluate.
>
>Problem is everyone here knows the
>club you belong to is
>the dipsh*t club.

Wow... What a reaction. LOL.

I was told a long time ago when someone who you disagree with goes into the name calling and class warfare mode to just shut up... It's plain to all around You have already won the debate. Thanks. NJS

when you attack the individual rather than the argument you commit an ad hominem fallacy. Way too much of this unintelligent reasoning on this forum.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom