How many people waiting on Justin Brown Taxidermy?

I got my deer cape and a bear hide back today. It's taken months of calls, texts, and stopping by his house daily to get things back. I'm pretty sure my bear cape is bad as it's been over two years. As far as deposits go it looks like small claims court is the only option.

I got my deer cape and a bear hide back today. It's taken months of calls, texts, and stopping by his house daily to get things back. I'm pretty sure my bear cape is bad as it's been over two years. As far as deposits go it looks like small claims court is the only option.
That's good news, I live just down the road from him I wish he'd come drop my deer and antelope cape off that he's had for two years after countless texts and calls, now he just ignores my text and calls

Did you just knock on his door and he happily gave your capes back?

Were your capes still good? Did you see many other capes in his garage ? He hasnt talked to me for months and has a OIL cape of mine

Stop by the mortuary and talk to his mom or dad. He may not respect anyone else but he respects his parents. Treat them with the same respect as you give your own parents. A guy may be able to get their help if you earn their trust. They are the only people that could get thru to him.

Justin posted about mental health and stress on his Facebook. The whole situation is a sad deal with him, his family and clients. It is probably cheaper to buy new capes for any common animal. Don’t let him drag your mental health down to his level.
This post is spot on. Unfortunately, I've had a few taxidermists tell me they've had mental health stress and breakdowns. One famous waterfowl taxidermist that operates in St. Cloud Minnesota /specializes in King Eider mounts, told me he had a mental health meltdown because of his large taxidermy workload. I won't mention the taxidermist's name, but his clients were telling me they were waiting 5-6 years to get their duck mounts back. I know mental health issues can be serious, life changing events. I suggest a taxidermist should shut his/her taxidermy business down and get professional medical help until they are cured of said medical health issue. I've seen this story play out
many times.

You are probably right. If he sent out hides to a commercial tannery and didn't pay for them they will only hold them for 30 days after completion. They have the right to sell them to recover cost. We as taxidermist sign a contract with the tanneries. It could also that something happened prior to sending them, if they were frozen in a freezer and the power got cut or freezer went out. I can't see him offloading the antlers. So I would agree with Horsecorn and agree the hide and money are long gone. Hopefully the antlers are still around. I would have definitely stopped if I seen him in yard. We loose that part of privacy when we start working out of where we live. But I respect you for not interrupting his Sunday.
Im curious how a tannery could sell a persons personal property to recover costs if they paid the taxidermist but taxidermist didnt pay the tannery and then the tannery sold the property for lack of payment from the taxidermist. Wouldnt this violate some of Utahs consumer protection laws?

Plenty of free forms on the internet. But having a law firm on the header would help.

I think I spent $75 to have a lawyer draft one and send it. A letter coming from them would draw some attention.
You can put in a free request to the State of Utah Consumer Protection Division and they will investigate for free

That's good news, I live just down the road from him I wish he'd come drop my deer and antelope cape off that he's had for two years after countless texts and calls, now he just ignores my text and calls
Have you tried making a claim with the Utah State Consumer protection division? Or a small claims court case?

Just curious how many other hunters have been getting the run around from Justin Brown Taxidermy out of Santaquin Utah and not getting their mounts back? I brought a buck to Justin in Fall of 2019 with a down payment. I know of 3 different hunters that also brought their animals to him that same year and are getting the run around stories as well. All hunters have put lots of money down and no sign that he even has capes or anything. He wont answer phone calls anymore. Only way to talk is to catch him at home, just to hear some other B.S. story!
I understand capes get ruined, lost, etc. But just be honest with your customers and give them back their money! So I was just wondering how many other hunters are dealing with Justin for the 2019-2020 hunting season.
Still waiting on a 2019 Elk

His Instagram is still up. Last post in July. A few dozen calls to that number should wind him up. Lol

IMG_4178.png

I stumbled across this thread and had to add my 2 cents. I know a couple people waiting on stuff from him. I dropped an elk off to him in September of 2021 to get a euro done. After a few months I started hounding him. It took until May of 2022 that I was able to agree upon a pickup of the skull, even though it wasn't done. A couple meetings fell through, but I did get the elk. It was beetle cleaned but not decreased or whitened.

I just post to give some people some hope that they can get their stuff.

Attached is a picture of my bull on the left in his garage the day I dropped it off, September 21 2021. As you can see there is a lot of stuff in there.

IMG_8294.jpg

The tannery does not give a crap if the customer paid the taxidermist 100 percent down. It is the responsibility of the taxidermist to pay the tanning bill with the deposit given at drop off. Taxidermist does not pay the tanning bill then the tannery sells the capes or probably uses them to replace capes that slip during the tanning process.

Well I got sick of waiting for Justin to get his $hit together, maybe one day he'll give me back my damn capes. I had Eric Nielson with royal peak taxidermy find us a nice cape and bring my boys 2021 Vernon muzzy buck back to life. Love the look of this mount.
received_879483650034410.jpeg

Last edited:
Curious to hear the rest of the details? He also admitted to me a couple months ago that he had my deer and antelope cape but he hasn't been in big hurry to get them back to me.
The state of Utah Consumer Protection gave Justin Brown a cease and desist order and fined him $2500. I have a small claims court date against Justin on December 18th 2023

Attachments

• 00057DC8.pdf
    162 KB · Views: 109
Just curious how many other hunters have been getting the run around from Justin Brown Taxidermy out of Santaquin Utah and not getting their mounts back? I brought a buck to Justin in Fall of 2019 with a down payment. I know of 3 different hunters that also brought their animals to him that same year and are getting the run around stories as well. All hunters have put lots of money down and no sign that he even has capes or anything. He wont answer phone calls anymore. Only way to talk is to catch him at home, just to hear some other B.S. story!
I understand capes get ruined, lost, etc. But just be honest with your customers and give them back their money! So I was just wondering how many other hunters are dealing with Justin for the 2019-2020 hunting season.
You can file a complaint with Utah Consumer Protection at https://dcp.utah.gov/
Justin was given a cease and desist order by the State and a $2500 fine. I have a court date with Justin December 18th

Justin Brown still lives there! That’s a FACT! Dude is a piece of ****. All of you guys have been told nothing but lies about your mounts, capes and euros. Back story… the dude has had multiple affairs on his wife. His life goal now is to mentally abuse and threaten his soon to be ex-wife and kids. I know you all don’t wanna hear it but it’s facts. He’s nothing but liar and THEIF. He’s the only one living at the residence now. Every time you guys call or knock on the door he made the kids lie for him.

His previous Tanner Colt Clay stopped working with him because of all the dishonesty and customers calling for there capes. He then started using Mont from
Dry Mountain prep and tanning. They also won’t tan for him anymore because of the issues. All the capes,horns and euros are in the garage. Piles and piles of stuff. The freezers are full. All he did was take deposits and your animals. It’s a FACT! You’d **** if you seen inside of the garage. He was asked about giving people’s stuff back and his response “I don’t give a ****”
He didn’t even renew his business license this year for taxidermy. Before any of you come at me I’m a very close insider. I’ve been watching this and seen all this go on for couple years now. Something has to be done! Honestly it disgusts me, knowing people have worked hard for their money, put in for points for years, countless hours scouting. In the end you want your mount, euro, cape or whatever it may be so you can enjoy the treasure at your home. Justin is a thief point blank. He now has stolen property. You’ve asked for your items and he doesn’t care. People need to stop worrying about his feelings or ***** foot around his ***** ass and fight back.
Post about your stuff on social media, don’t keep it in forums. Don’t hold your hand on your ass and think the DWR, police or state are gonna do anything. You want your stuff back fight for it make him accountable and embarrassed. Fight like MEN! Face to face make him own his ****.

He drives a 2016 red F150 four door
With black wheels. It’s always parked in the driveway.
His address is : 239 W 100 S Santaquin, Utah 84655
801-822-4393

He also works at Thorpe Burial Vaults
1267 West 800 North
Mapleton Utah
801-489-6111

I’m another person fallen victim to his lies and dishonesty. Now I’m taking a stand and trying to get the truth out to you all and whoever else needs to know. At the end of the day He needs to make it right.
You can file a complaint with Utah Consumer Protection at https://dcp.utah.gov/
The State has given him a cease and desist order and fined him $2500

Attachments

• 00057DC8.pdf
    162 KB · Views: 66
The state of Utah Consumer Protection gave Justin Brown a cease and desist order and fined him $2500. I have a small claims court date against Justin on December 18th 2023
Good for you to get it in the system and a judgment. I hope this prevents others from throwing their money away. I can imagine the frustration. :mad:

Sent a couple guys who have had court with him a pm. I’ve got an elk and bear with him tried to stop by Saturday while I was up there with no luck. Not sure what is the best way to go about this.

It doesn’t matter what happened in court, He has no money that is obvious. He can’t pay and he sold all the hides and horns. So nobody is getting anything. I sure hope I’m wrong but I’ll bet I’m not. That just sucks for you guys. That’s not good

This guy must me one tough son of a B*#ch. With all of the complaints on this thread, no one stopped bye his house and took care of business?
Been plenty of guys stop by his house he either has his kids lie for him and say he's not home or gives you some bull $hit story about how he's gonna go through everything and start returning people their stuff next week or whatever time frame he wants to tell you.

Been plenty of guys stop by his house he either has his kids lie for him and say he's not home or gives you some bull $hit story about how he's gonna go through everything and start returning people their stuff next week or whatever time frame he wants to tell you.
I can respect the kids dilemma, but you guys sure do things different in Utah I guess. Or maybe it's not that big of a deal.

Well I got my stuff back today both my capes I literally just got home, (bear and elk). And my pedestal and bear form. I’m not going to take the time on here about the conversation I had with him. But he did say he’s moving next month to Saratoga springs. His garage is a wreck hides all over and the same stack of hides in the front left corner as I saw in 19-20 when I dropped my stuff off hopefully everyone can get their stuff back before he moves. My hides are at my new taxidermist and she’s going to look them over my elk hide was still froze. And bear hide was in pretty good shape which I was happy about. He cut my name tag of my elk hide so I know I got the right one.

Well I got my stuff back today both my capes I literally just got home, (bear and elk). And my pedestal and bear form. I’m not going to take the time on here about the conversation I had with him. But he did say he’s moving next month to Saratoga springs. His garage is a wreck hides all over and the same stack of hides in the front left corner as I saw in 19-20 when I dropped my stuff off hopefully everyone can get their stuff back before he moves. My hides are at my new taxidermist and she’s going to look them over my elk hide was still froze. And bear hide was in pretty good shape which I was happy about. He cut my name tag of my elk hide so I know I got the right one.
Nice!

She? What The hell.

What year did you take your bear and elk to him?

If he has all the hides stacked up and laying around? Why the hell can he not return them?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom