How many points for G & H this year?

All thanks to those (Founder & YouTube) who post so many of his/their buck pics on this website and others. Doesn't take long for the pics and videos to spread. Many have high hopes of killing that "big" buck.

Even though the genetics are there, it'll eventually end up just like other units that "used to be" and point creep will continue until there are fewer and fewer great bucks.

FYI: this yr was not as bad as I thought it might be....
wyo range fawn mortality.jpg

Tell that to Colorado. Apps in CO were up by 40,000
Colorado Apps were submitted in late March and early April when the unemployment claims were a fraction of what they are now. Not too mention that many people may have just applied for points. The CO draw is very different than WY. With that said, it may not have that big of an impact in WY, but we will see.

Teepee
Thanks for the data on winterkill. The cycles are pretty interesting.

I know that chart only shows the mortality of "born" fawns. For example only 14% of the fawns born in 2017 died over the winter. What are others thoughts on "aborted" fawns over the winter of 16/17? If 50% were aborted over the winter, then the number of fawns would be down 57%. I know there are many other variables like loss to predation and other natural causes too.

The reason I ask is because my son and I were contemplating burning our collective 15 points on G-special this year. We decided this year was the best time to go rather than waiting. Considering that mule deer bucks reach their prime between 5 - 8 years of age. After this year the number of bucks in that age range will decline over the next few years due to the winter of 16/17. The bucks born in 2016 that died over the winter and the ones that were aborted going into 2017 would be 4.5 and 3.5 years old this fall. So the bucks that would be 5.5 and older this fall would have been 1.5 years old or older and had a better chance of surviving the 16/17 winter. After this year the number of bucks in the 5 - 8 year class will decline. Obviously this only accounts for winter kill.
Living 16 hours away, I don't have the opportunity to put boots on the ground like many others, so have to rely on data and statistics.

Yup. A guy has gotta hunt when he can. Tomorrow is never promised. 4 of us applied for G with 7.5 points. I think we had a chance with the regular, but we ponied up for the special draw. Hope we're hunting come Sept!
Don P.

G and H will eventually go to
A draw for residents.
They have to.
Even if you take nonresidents totally out.
To many residents going in to hunt and people moving into the state to force it.
Wait till you see how bad it will be in 4 years.
The old days are about gone.

A draw for residents.
They have to.
To many residents going in to hunt and people moving into the state to force it.
I don't know about that, lots of residents never hunt in G or H.

A draw for residents.
They have to.

Really?

1500ish new residents in the last half of 2018, first half of 2019...with the population declining the previous 3 years?

If residents went to a draw, and that’s a big “IF”, the result in licenses/draw odds could be very beneficial to NR depending on quota. The JCR shows around 5,000 hunters in G so with current splits NR licenses would more than double.... I don’t see any of that happening though.

A draw for residents.
They have to.
I bet you’re the life of the party at social events

“Hunt the west”
I really didn’t care about the NR.
I just want to protect the deer herds.
3-4 years from now when you can’t even find a buck, that’s when people will wake up and cut tags.

“Hunt the west”
3-4 years from now when you can’t even find a buck, that’s when people will wake up and cut tags.
What do you believe are the correct number of tags for G & H?

“Hunt the west”
Your username fits you.

People have been saying “g” had been ruined for over 20 years. That’s it’s just a few years away from a draw blah blah blah.

One thing that hasn’t changed is every year it kicks out big ass bucks and residents can hunt it every year. And that’s the way it’s going to be in 20 years. Fact.

I have no idea how many tags it should have
I have not hunted it .I just know things are gonna get a lot harder to find a deer down the road.That’s all I was saying.I was not starting a fight at all.
Drunk guy,your user name says it all too.
Mine is in reference to 20 years of hound hunting.

So you have no idea how many people currently hunt it and no idea what the right number is but you are just positive it should be less and that within 4 years all bucks will be killed? Do I have that right?

I think I will stick with WG&F management strategy. Their numbers are a touch more accurate than yours.

Yup
You have it right.
I never said I have not been there.
Just never have had that tag.But I do know the fawn crops we’re really bad and it’s gonna catch up to us.
If you want to believe the WG&F
That’s up to you.

Yup
You have it right.
I never said I have not been there.
Just never have had that tag.But I do know the fawn crops we’re really bad and it’s gonna catch up to us.
If you want to believe the WG&F
That’s up to you.
Ok, let's see; believe the G&F or believe the guy who's never hunted it.
Yeah, that's a no brainer...

I’m going to take a guess fullcry lives in Utah. It seems like Utahns have a way of always voicing their opinions on wildlife management in their neighboring states. The problem is no one asked their opinion. And I sure as hell don’t see Utah’s neighbors telling them how to manage their wildlife.

Utah hunters want everything to be draw. They think that makes everything better. They are ok waiting 20 years for an elk tag to maybe shoot a bull over 330 when in reality most end up with a 300. Meanwhile guys in Idaho wy co are hunting every year and have a reasonable chance to get a bull the same size. And dont forget the deer hunting. While Utah’s are waiting for that OIL buck tag for 15 to 20 years wyo boys are chasing 200 inch bucks every damn year. The only hunting Utah guys do consistently in their home state is the hunting expo.

I’m just shocked they haven’t made that a draw yet.

Well, I have 4 points. But, I have been playing the game. My wife has max points. I think that either next year or the year after, I will use her points. She doesnt hunt much. And probably wont go. So I will duel with her.
Then my oldest son has a bunch of points, so I will duel with him. Then my next son has 4 or 5 points, but by the time I get to him, I will duel with him. I could be hunting G 3 times in the next 10 years. Cant wait. Will be fun. Got to pay to play! Great investments.

Just a note.... We have 4 of those 1500 ish new residents this last year. I am proud to report we have no real intention in hunting G and H. We might at some point but there is a lot of other places in WY to find deer and good deer if you take the time...

Just a note.... We have 4 of those 1500 ish new residents this last year. I am proud to report we have no real intention in hunting G and H. We might at some point but there is a lot of other places in WY to find deer and good deer if you take the time...

There it is. Proof that 100% of new Wyoming residents will not hunt region G. No need to make G a LQ unit for resident hunters.

My data point is better than anything fullcry has.

@fullcry is too busy chasing hounds for 20 years. You think after 20 years you would give up if you haven’t caught one.

Well, I have 4 points. But, I have been playing the game. My wife has max points. I think that either next year or the year after, I will use her points. She doesnt hunt much. And probably wont go. So I will duel with her.
Then my oldest son has a bunch of points, so I will duel with him. Then my next son has 4 or 5 points, but by the time I get to him, I will duel with him. I could be hunting G 3 times in the next 10 years. Cant wait. Will be fun. Got to pay to play! Great investments.

Why not take your wife on the Newberg November hunt and kill a monster? That would be a sweet hunt for a not so serious hunter to score some big bone.

Takes max points and then some luck
It always takes a little luck. And I bet Randy’s buck didn’t break 180. That shows you how good the unit was last year. But I dunno, I mean Randy’s struggled to fill Colorado elk tags before ?‍♂️

It always takes a little luck. And I bet Randy’s buck didn’t break 180. That shows you how good the unit was last year. But I dunno, I mean Randy’s struggled to fill Colorado elk tags before ?‍♂️
+1. It was a nice looking buck though, and may have been one of the better deer taken out there last year. Just wait until you see it this year and the next two. Randy's buck was probably a 2-pt that survived the 16-17 winter. It was just as bad out there in that area in '18-19. That deer herd segment finally got a reprieve last year. At 2% resident draw odds, I'll look somewhere else. Hell, that area needs 5 to 6 average winters to get up and going again. 15 tag holders and the first 170" class buck they see are hittin' the dirt. A colleague of mine helps the family ranch in that area. May have seen one 180" buck this winter in the area. In the spring of 13, 14, 15, 16 they were finding 190-200" sheds, in 17...deadheads. It's still a long way from where it was....?

I'm doing the exact same plan. I have been putting my sons in since they were old enough to apply in many state for many species. That is "dad's college graduation present" for each of them. Our plan for Wyoming elk is that dad will take them on a great elk hunt, and the Wyoming deer plan has always been after each of them graduates from college they each get to go on a hunt with dad and we will share points the points.
I shared my max points with Founder back in 2016 (didn't want to throw away "extra" points so invited Founder to apply with me).
My middle son graduated from college last year and we will be using his 13 points along with my 2 points to hopefully get a G tag this fall.
My oldest son has max points and we will hopefully get to hunt G together in a couple years after he finishes his masters degree next winter.
My youngest son has 8 points and will be a Junior in college this fall and hopefully we will be able to hunt G together after he gets his masters as well before I get too old to climb them mountains.

+1. It was a nice looking buck though, and may have been one of the better deer taken out there last year. Just wait until you see it this year and the next two. Randy's buck was probably a 2-pt that survived the 16-17 winter. It was just as bad out there in that area in '18-19. That deer herd segment finally got a reprieve last year. At 2% resident draw odds, I'll look somewhere else. Hell, that area needs 5 to 6 average winters to get up and going again. 15 tag holders and the first 170" class buck they see are hittin' the dirt. A colleague of mine helps the family ranch in that area. May have seen one 180" buck this winter in the area. In the spring of 13, 14, 15, 16 they were finding 190-200" sheds, in 17...deadheads. It's still a long way from where it was....?
Yeah what’s crazy is it wasn’t that many years ago it was pretty decent draw odds. It’s just like any area though, it has a run of good years and a run of bad years in terms of quality. One thing I found out though is it doesn’t matter if you get snow or not, those bucks are there. Lots of snow does help.

I didn’t think the rancher up there cared to pick up sheds. He’s always complaining about too many elk deer and antelope. Known him my whole life. I didn’t even think he hunted. I do know his sons hunt a bit. *edit*. I only know the two biggest ranchers in the area. I know there’s a bunch of smaller ones *

I can post it up if you would like, not sure why you are such a douche but at least you are consistent.
Don’t write checks you can’t cash. Also it’s the internet, dont take anything serious. It’s obvious I hurt your feelings. I would apologize but I’m not really sorry. If you want I can email you a hurt feelings report or perhaps a south park meme that says “show me on this doll where I hurt you”. Or maybe the Dawson’s creek meme is more your style. Dealers choice!

Colorado Apps were submitted in late March and early April when the unemployment claims were a fraction of what they are now. Not too mention that many people may have just applied for points. The CO draw is very different than WY. With that said, it may not have that big of an impact in WY, but we will see.
Idaho’s application period was May 1-June 5 and I heard applications were up, also the general OTC deer and elk tags for nonresidents are projected to sell out prior to the August 1 deadline for the 1st time in history. Nevada saw a jump of 6000 applicants and it’s one of the states with the least opportunity and highest cost to play. Wyoming odds are getting worse this year no matter what anyone thinks

I believe most NR think every resident hunter heads to G or H during the deer season. From my experience most residents have no desire to hunt either of these units and concentrate more on elk than deer. It's also my experience that I see far more out of state plates in these units than resident. But hey we should make it LQ to make it a better hunt for the NR.

Well with the payment deadline about a week away, we'll see how many were unable to pay for em come August.

No but you should, come hunt the real deer (Muleys) and leave those whiteys alone ?

Ohhh come on. I need a challenge. Those whiteys are much more smarter and harder to find a beast. Hahahah.

I just got back from montana scouting for muleys. With 94 degrees it was miserable. Really wasnt looking for deer. Just learning the terrain and ideas for future scouting

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom