How many points will it take?

buckspotter7

Being that there are no past odds to go off of. How many points do you think it will take a NR to draw one of the "management hunts" on the Henry Mtns. or Paunsagunt? Any guesses on how many tags?

I'm thinking Henry Mtns. - 10 pts

Pauns. - 8 pts.

12 pts henerys and 10 pts paunsagunt with very limited tags for both probably around 1-3 tags given for each would be my guess??

10 tags on the Henrys and 50 on the Pauns.
good luck kids

"I'll keep my Freedom, I'll keep my Money, I'll keep my guns! You keep the change.
---------------------------------------
"I needed a cheesy signature saying like everyone else"

half of that.......4 or 5!(for those dumb nuff)

Rackmaster

496fab8546749f27.jpg

Well I'm not ashamed to say that I was dumb enough! I would think that to have any "management" affect, they would need to issue at least 25 - 30 tags on the Henrys and 50 - 100 tags on the Pauns. With 30% of the tags going to Youth hunters and 30% going to over 65 hunters, lets hope for them there are more than a handful of tags. Otherwise what is the point of even having this hunt?

10 permits for the Henry Mtns, 9 res 1 non-res. Bet it takes a lot of points to draw the non-res tag. I seriously thought about it with 8 points, but didn't do it. I bet there will quite a few people with 8+ points that put in.

50 permits for the Pauns, 45 res, 5 non-res. However, maybe RAC's and Board will change tag numbers? Bet it still takes a lot of points. The dates are better for this hunt than the Henries, and I think there will be some big bucks taken. This is the year to have the tag, after this year the huge 30" type management bucks will be much harder to find.

I hope these hunts go well and nobody throws a fit to the RAC and Board members after someone shoots a 2 year old buck "with potential", or a broken buck. Management hunts are a way to get more bucks harvested to bring the units into compliance with their management plans while still trying to preserve trophy quality. If they shoot a few young ones and a few broken ones, maybe we can let that slide rather than the alternatives. I would guess the alternatives are either 1) an increase in trophy tags, or 2) we can go to a general season 2 point or less hunt, with limited draw any buck tags like they do in Idaho in the Owyhees (or like we do for elk statewide now with the spike hunts). While there will be some young, and some broken bucks, the DWR has MUCH MUCH more control over how many people hunt where and when with a management hunt than they do with a general season hunt.

Best of luck to everyone who draws.

You really think only 1 NR Henrys tag. If so, I guess points won't matter much for NR's like me, because it would be random draw. I have 10 pts. and figured if I didn't get it this year, I'd go back to trying for the Book Cliffs. My Dad put in for it too(with 10 pts.) and he is over 65 if it even figures in for a NR.

Wow if its that few of permits for teh henrys I should have put in for the regular tag instead, oh well too late now.

Nobody knows for sure yet how many permits will be given.

If you go to the DWR webpage you can clik on a tab entitled Board/RAC that will link you to a page with info about the RACs.

The agenda for the upcoming RAC meetings will have the proposed permit numbers. They haven't posted the agenda yet, but I imagine they will soon, as the first RAC meeting is only about 2 weeks out.

Here is the schedule for the RAC's in March, then the board will make the final decision on April 2 and set permit numbers.

March RAC meetings: Bucks, Bulls, OIAL Permit #s, Management. Plans.
17 ? SR ? Richfield High School ? 510 W 100 S Richfield
18 ? SER
19 ? NER
24 ? CR ? Springville Junior High ? 165 S. 700 E Springville
25 ? NR
April ? Board meeting April 2: State Capitol Bldg. Room W025, Bucks, Bulls, OIAL Permit #s; Management Plans.

I agree w/Buckspotter that pts likely won't matter if there is only 1 nonres tag..it will be in the random pool and the odds of the guy w/highest pts drawing it likely won't be that great since there likely will be an incredible number of nonres applying for that tag! Pts will matter in the res draw since there likely will be multiple tags offered in random and high pref pools.

If you are a res you may look at the # of pts it took to draw some of the elite management bull tags a few years ago to get a "wild" idea of draw odds?

proposal is for 1 NR management tag on the Henrys. Could take max points.

With 1 permit, it will be random draw. It turns out that points won't count for much, except more chances at the lowest random number. A guy with 1 or 2 pts. could get it if he draws the lowest number.

I don't know how they'll split up the 5 NR permits on the Pauns. (50% preference - 50% random / 30% youth - 30% over 65 - 40% to the rest of us) ????????

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom