How much 209 do you use

desperatehills

Very Active Member
In 2011 I drew a muzzy deer tag in Utah. I built a gun just for that hunt, Still has the 1x scope on it and has been in the safe since then. I could never use that gun in Oregon where I have muzzle hunted for years. Well I forgot how much Blackhorn 209 I used. All I can remember is it is different than the 95 grains of 777 in my other guns. How much 209 do you shoot? I will be taking that gun with me this year on my New Mexico unit 34 elk hunt. I am going to change the scope and start shooting soon. I have a bunch of 250 grain sabots left over and when I went looking it seems 250 grain is popular, not much bigger stuff to choose from. Thanks

Never used 209. I drop two 50 grain pellets of white hot down the barrel and go hunt. Killed deer at 88 yards and 250 yards with that setup.

Hey DH!

BH 209 is Perty Damn HOT!

All SmokePoles are Different!

I'd Start With about 85-90 Grains of BH 209!

Work Your Way Up 5 Grains at a Time!

When You Start Getting Inconsistency I'd Back it off a little!

A Factory REP at BH 209 Told Me NEVER Shoot any More than a 140 Grains of BH 209 in any Gun!

You Won't Be Shooting Near That Much anyway!

Good Luck!

87.5 by weight
Every guns different
I’d recommend like ELK said start on the smaller end and work up.
PS the newer bh209 powder is not as HOT as the previous runs. At least in my shooting I’ve noticed a difference in charges Compared to my older stock

WOW!

That's Sad To Here p_30!

Doesn't Surprise Me Though!

87.5 by weight
Every guns different
PS the newer bh209 powder is not as HOT as the previous runs. At least in my shooting I’ve noticed a difference in charges Compared to my older stock

According to the manufacturer, 120 grains by volume (84 by weight) is the maximum load of bh209. Convert volume to weight at .7 ratio.

120 is the max recommended load but the .7 vol/weight conversion factor isn’t really accurate anymore. The newer lots of Blackhorn weigh more. So don’t worry about weight. Use a volumetric measure. Somewhere between 90 and 110 grains by volume will likely work well for you.

I use 110 grains by volume most of the time with a 300 grain bullet.

Is there a way to tell what's the new batch BH , thats not good business producing reduced velocity powder yet marketing it without that being duely noted.. Thanks guys

The current lot is #41 - produced late last year. Manufacture date and lot number are printed on the back of each bottle.

1AD51187-E09C-4D19-90D3-9ADD3B655597.jpeg

I use 77 weight grains of BH209 under a 300 gr 44 Cal XTP bullet in a green harvester sabot
I often shoot the black harvester sabots with a 300 grain .452 xtp and 77 grains. The XTP magnums didn't seem as accurate as the standard XTP the little bit I tried them but I think I will play with them some more.

BH 209 powder 84 gr by weight, Barnes 290 gr TMZ with a Harvester yellow crushed rib sabot, CCI 209m primer out of a CVA Accura V2. 2053 fps. Shoot good for me.

87.5 by weight
Every guns different

Bullet fit in the barrel matters most. Get a sizing sample from Thor bullets (for example) and you'll see why.

The way the bullets seals/contacts up against the rifling is what has the impact. Bullets change, the barrel doesn't.

Bullet fit in the barrel matters most. Get a sizing sample from Thor bullets (for example) and you'll see why.

The way the bullets seals/contacts up against the rifling is what has the impact. Bullets change, the barrel doesn't.
I size everyone of my bullets before use. So it’s the powder not be consistent. I’ve had other buddies seeing the same thing

Im not sure about that. No doubt that there is a lot of variation in off the shelf muzzy bores. The OP said he’s using a sabot.

Conical? As long as the bullet stays on the powder charge the bullet size is probably really a non-issue as long as it’s close. It should obturate into the grooves. A wad to contain pressure before full obturation often helps.

Sized jacketed bullet to bore? Most guys size to get one handed loading. As long as it stays on the powder slight sizing variations shouldn’t matter. Most guys also use a wad with this set up.

Bullets in a sabot? Yes bullet fit to sabot is really important although rarely an issue. If the bullet slips in the sabot, consistency goes to hell. Knurling the bullet so it grips the sabot can help.

The powder charge has a much bigger effect on precision. It’s all about consistency and barrel harmonics.

I size everyone of my bullets before use. So it’s the powder not be consistent. I’ve had other buddies seeing the same thing

Point was - the barrel is set. It's not that the gun "likes" a certain load. Some barrels fit mass produced bullets better than others. A consistent powder load will perform differently with a range of bullets out of the same gun.

My barrel, in particular leans more toward the .503 size rather than a nominal .500. Powder load itself wouldn't necessarily help the too small of a diameter bullet fly better because it doesn't have the contact with the barrel it needs for a proper seal and twist downrange.

Burn chemistry is another story.

currently 90 grn volume and 66 grn by weight
behind 330 PowerBelt ELR shooting100 yard groups with Williams Precision sight.

Might try federal BORloc 270 this week? as I finally found some

87.5 by weight
Every guns different
Hey I just broke into a new bottle from last year and I’m weighing it at66 grains and when I put it in the tube it shows80-85 grains by volume! My previous bottle showed 90 vol at 66 weight! Now I don’t know what to do as I’m running low on primers? Do I bump up weight so it matches the 90 volume? Or stick with 66 weight? Any ideas folks

Hey I just broke into a new bottle from last year and I’m weighing it at66 grains and when I put it in the tube it shows80-85 grains by volume! My previous bottle showed 90 vol at 66 weight! Now I don’t know what to do as I’m running low on primers? Do I bump up weight so it matches the 90 volume? Or stick with 66 weight? Any ideas folks

Let your grouping tell you. Fire a test shot and you'll know.

100 grains by weight in the open sight gun @ 2400fps+ and 110 grain by weight in the scoped gun @ 2500fps+ Both with the same 275 grain pittman bullet.

There has been some variance seen in weight between lots. This has been discussed at length on muzzleloader forums. The recommended approach is to decide what volume you want to use then volume measure (with a real volumetric measure - not a tube) 10 or more loads and average the weights. Then use that average weight for that lot of BH209.

I am new to muzzle loading and bought a Paramount 45 cal recently. I am amazed at the accuracy of this rifle. I use two scales just to double check my weights. I am loading 98 grains by weight. I recently loaded about 20 charges at 100 grains by weight, but have not yet shot them.

Just bought the same gun Jeff, been on vacation but heading out Friday/Saturday to put my first rounds through it. I was going to start with 100gr weight with 300 grain Parker bullets. Lets stay in touch PM if that's better.

Just bought the same gun Jeff, been on vacation but heading out Friday/Saturday to put my first rounds through it. I was going to start with 100gr weight with 300 grain Parker bullets. Lets stay in touch PM if that's better.
I am shooting the 285gr ELR Powerbelt bullets. I never heard of Parker bullets but will look them up. Let me know how your rifle shoots!

Parkers are great shooting bullets but very explosive on impact. Great deer bullets. Anything bigger - I’m not so sure.

Where soft lead and elk are concerned, IMO bigger is better. I have used all lead No Excuse bullets, but 420 gr

I have a bunch of No Excuses bullets, but now shooting a Paramount and looking to improve my distance and accuracy. I'm trainable if Parker bullets are not reliable per those who know more than me. Appreciate the feedback guys .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom