How much pack weight?

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
I am now down to two weeks before the start of my sheep hunt. I have been doing a lot of preparing and training but I am still a bit concerned about the pack (actually really concerned ha ha). I am hunting desert sheep in Utah and expect A LOT of hiking for the unit I am hunting.
The first part of my hunt we will likely hunt the same area for about 4-5 days. What would be the target weight for your pack (gun included).
I have hunted a lot over the years but have never done a pack trip like this. The last thing I want anyone on here to believe is that I know anything about sheep hunting or long trips.
Given that the first leg of the trip is only 4 days, I am hoping to keep the weight between 50-60lbs? I have been training with about 56 pounds (yes, I do realize I need to up the weight).
I do have my sons coming as well and therefore, I will let them pack my spotting scope and tripod :)

Thank you!

What are you hauling? Assuming a full camp with your own tent, bag, pad, stove/fuel, and food for 4 days? Since you're not hauling the tripod and scope, I'd say 50# is a fair target weight including your rifle, assuming you have the best lightweight gear. If you then set a spike camp you could hunt lighter out of a day pack.

Tent, clothing, sleeping pad, cooking gear, for 4 days.... Yes, a full camp. All my gear is lightweight. From what I remember:
Sleeping bag 1.9 pounds, tent just under 2 pounds, rifle and scope a little over 7 pounds, pack around 6 lbs.

My target for a 4 day is about 35lbs plus water. My base weight for a warm weather hunt is usually under 11 lbs (Pack, bag, shelter, pad, stove, water filter, extras). Add 1.5 lb/day food, rifle, trekking poles, tripod, binos and scope.

Water weight is what will really add up if you can’t count on finding water.

For a solo 4-5 day sheep hunt, with rifle, spotter, tripod, gear, food. I'm right around 45bs for hunt in AK. That includes a little extra clothing, rain gear, inreach, one small battery pack. For a 10-12 day hunt I'm usually around 55-56lbs depending on how many snickers and how much bacon I take. I could cut it down a bit to exclude battery packs, some fluffy stuff like a blowup pillow, extra socks, and a lighter bag and tent. All up maybe 3-4lbs lighter, but would cost me $1500. At some point its just diminishing returns.

When I first started sheep hunting, my pack was around 63-65lbs for a 10 day hunt. I upgraded my tent, pack, bag, stove, and rifle and cut off 9lbs. That was about 12-15 years ago now, and gear has gotten a little lighter since.

There are a few things you can split with a partner. I woulnd't take more than one spotter, and share a tent. They usually weight about the same, so you can cut out 4-5lbs shared. We've also shared a rifle many times on a hunt. thats another 6-7lbs saved. I know crazy idea. :) We've doubled on dalls many times using the single rifle scenario. When you're packing a ram and your camp out, every extra ounce counts.

Good luck on your hunt!

Excellent comments guys as this is exactly what I was looking for!

I am the only one with a tag so the extra weight issues should be reduced a bit. I am taking one pair of range finding binoculars we will share the spotting scope. Water is a concern and I will have some extra weight with the water.

I cannot believe how much gear I have bought. My wife thinks I am nuts and she may be right! I realize I could have gotten buy with a lot of what I had but its been a good excuse to upgrade. It has helped save me some pack weight so that should help.

These posts of yours make me feel better about how much I am packing. Thank you!

With my sheep hunt in Id I was at the 35lb area as a day hike. Guns are heavy unless you have the new light weight version but a model 70 featherweight with an average leopold is over 7.5 lbs . Water is always a concern and has to be taken in. I was by myself to had to carry game bags, all the processing gear and optics. Adds up fast but with a spike camp you can go out a lot lighter. Remember this is your hunt and have fun with it. A lot of pressure is put on the oil hunts but need to remember why you are there. Good luck and post some pics.

“A lot of pressure is put on the oil hunts but need to remember why you are there”

You have that right! I’ve never really been that nervous for any hunt. However, this one is different and I’m trying to enjoy the experience. It will/should be good. At 51, I wish I would have drawn this tag 10 years ago but I’ll take what I can get ha ha…

Congrats on the tag woodruffhunter! Desert sheep hunts are amazing adventures.
I've hunted Utah deserts several times but most hunts I've been a part of have not required a pack in adventure. I can only assume you are hunting the Escalante or packing in to more remote locations on another unit. I packed in for a few days on my Zion hunt and knowing where to find water helped a lot on reducing weight. We did filter some nasty looking bug water, but we survived, so a good filter might save some weight.
As hot as it has been, I'd consider some way to create shade when you are glassing. There aren't many trees in the desert and glassing in the sun for hours without shade can be brutal. I also take a small (weighs a few ounces) pad to sit on when sandstone chairs get uncomfortable.
Hunting desert sheep is not a race, so if your pack is a bit heavy, slow down, or take some breaks. The season is long and you won't find sheep while you are hiking anyway.
My son and I are headed south to help some other hunters as well, but probably on a different unit. I hope you find success and have an incredible adventure. That's really what it's all about.
Best of luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom