How often do mature bucks water?

Depends some on how active they are. Without disturbance [hunters etc] Bucks/deer will keep close by water and food supplies drinking several times a day when eating dry food during hot weather. Hunting pressure will tend to get the mature bucks going for water more toward evening or night early morning and sometimes mid day. Mature bucks will go for water at least 0nce a day during hot dry weather.

The bucks I hunt in the VERY HOT desert 100 + degrees these bucks only water every three or four days and can go longer. but they dont hardly even budge in the day time they do all their movement at night, water, feed , everything. The minute the sun is up they are bedded.

I have hunted water a lot through the years, and lots of bucks do water during the night. They can go several days without water, but so can you! But like you, they prefer to water more often and will if not disturbed or bumped.

I have seen a number of decent deer at the same waterhole two or even three times in one day. So a blanket statement doesn't cover all deer.

HardHornedbuck2.jpg

8-1.jpg

BC2ndt20.jpg

deeratblind2.jpg

Have a good one BB

Even in the desserts there are more then one water hole. There are seeps and Springs, not many. Deer will know where water is.

depends on the moisture in what they are eating. some can go several days without water.

Mature bucks like to bed with a veiw of their water hole in some areas i have found. It may be the view they have is completely auditory. The beds will be in an area with air movement and shade. The shade can be pretty thin cover, a few 3' sagebrush out in the middle of a wide open grass flat. Single juniper bush in some tall grass or just tall grass. When will they water? when they feel safe. If the only human traffic in the area is motorized, they will feel safe when they do not hear motorized traffic. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------support your local guzzlers. OHA life member,lapine oregon

The statement above is correct,they don't have every day. A doe with a fawn, usually waters dailey. I hunt the desert, I seen bucks water three days or later. You would think they would have to water every day.

Pointless. Sometimes the level of ignorance on here is astounding!

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

As it applies to what we do, hunting one individual buck over water is a tough prospect. Hunting water is fun but if you have one particular buck you want to shoot, its a shot in the dark. From what I have learned hunting the desert, bucks can and will go three days without water. Couple that with a guzzler every 2 miles and dirtranks in between and one deer could be anywhere.

Now, if you want good action and you want to see alot of deer, find a good water hole off by itself and hunt it. The cool thing about water is you never know what is going to come in. Its kind of like deep sea fishing, you never ever know exactly what is going to come up. The only exception to what I'm saying is if you have a buck in a good solid summer pattern and he's feeding in the same area every night or (like others have said) he feels very safe at the water hole hes using. But once those bucks go hard horned, they get goofy and can be anywhere any given day, thats how they survive.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom