How often should i clean my CVA Accura long range muzzleloader

Pcjr21

Just put together my first muzzleloader. It is a CVA Accura LR-X with the 30" barrel. Not getting the best groups and my primer is getting stuck on occasion. How often should i clean the barrel? What should i do about the primer issue? Currently im pulling the breach plug, cleaning with saturated patch, fallowed by a dry patch before every shot. If i dont clean it after every shot the bullets start to drift after about 6 shots. Im using 209 Magnum primers and blackhorn powder, Using 100 oz of volume powder. Im definitely a person who over thinks everything, so I'm probably cleaning to much worried about a dirty barrel. Appreciate the help.

What bullets do you use? Do you have a spare breech plug? I always keep a couple extras. Cheap investment to have a spare

I am not going to preach cleaning due to so many ways. I have my own method at the range and when I get home

What bullets do you use? Do you have a spare breech plug? I always keep a couple extras. Cheap investment to have a spare

I am not going to preach cleaning due to so many ways. I have my own method at the range and when I get home
Using the

PowerBelt™ ELR Muzzleloader Bullets - .45 Cal 285 Grain Bullets​

Do not currently have an extra breech plug but definitely getting one soon

I replaced the breech plug with the CVA Buckhorn breechplug. Buckhorn is great in the barrel yet carbons up the breech plug flash chamber for some reason. I carry a small drill bit to clean the flash channel after every 3 shots. Hand only, no power tools.

must be the stock breech plug? don't know the diff between the replacement "blackhorn 209 breech plug" that i bought but i don't have issues with cleaning or "drifting" shots at the range. primer does get stuck on occasion

With all my Whites and Pyrex "P", I clean every dozen shots. With the CVA Accura V2 and Blackthorn, I will wipe it out every two dozen or so, and clean when I get done shooting. I did get the Blackthorn 209 breech plug, and have not had any problems with sticky primers.

Clean thoroughly when I get home, and run a patch thru it every couple weeks afterwards, to see if I missed anything.

Make sure your Breech has the cavity for the loose powder. Both mine came with the pellet breech plug and I had to buy the loose powder breech.
I clean about the same as Blank. I do have a small piece of fine emery cloth that I roll up like a straw that will very lightly clean the primer pocket when it gets sticky.

I've got a question along these lines, on a hunt now and shot a pig 2 days ago. I've reloaded and waiting on a big deer to show up, but thinking I should shoot again and clean barrel so corrosion doesn't do damage. I'm shooting bh209, what time frame before a through cleaning is required. I'm not a long time muzzy guy . Thanks

Acura V2 here. BH209 110gr by volume, Blackhorn breach plug, Powerbelt platinum 338, federal 209A primer.

Starting with a clean bore. Foul the barrel with a couple primers before shooting, otherwise the first shot is 8-10” left. I typically shoot 3-4 shots into a 4” group at 150yds with open sights. I only use a boresnake for the barrel and brush, orifice cleaners and drill bits for the plug, breech and muzzle.

I’m probably doing it wrong but it’s worked for a couple of years so far.

100 oz of volume?

A 3 shot "tight" group of 4 inches for a hunting setup should be doable with one clean barrel (primer dirty) and then two dirty (fired shots) at 150 yds.

When shooting BH209, I clean after the 3rd dirty shot just to keep the gun as real hunting condition as I can.

I Do My Own Testing On SmokePoles!

I Purposely Left A Load In My CVA Accura II For 3 Years!

I Pushed It Out To Inspect For Corrosion!

The BH 209 Woulda Fired No Doubt!

Slight Corrosion On The Breech Plug & Barrel But It All Cleaned Up With No Visible Damage To Breech Plug Or Barrel!

My Gun Is Stainless!

The POWER BELT 338 GRAIN Platinum Did Have Some Corrosion On It!

What Gun Are You Shooting?

I've got a question along these lines, on a hunt now and shot a pig 2 days ago. I've reloaded and waiting on a big deer to show up, but thinking I should shoot again and clean barrel so corrosion doesn't do damage. I'm shooting bh209, what time frame before a through cleaning is required. I'm not a long time muzzy guy . Thanks

There's One Thing I Should SPLAIN I Guess!

We Live In a DRY Climate Here!

The Outcome In A Real HUMID Area Could Be A Total Different Outcome!

Just Thought I'd Mention It!

I Do My Own Testing On SmokePoles!

I Purposely Left A Load In My CVA Accura II For 3 Years!

I Pushed It Out To Inspect For Corrosion!

The BH 209 Woulda Fired No Doubt!

Slight Corrosion On The Breech Plug & Barrel But It All Cleaned Up With No Visible Damage To Breech Plug Or Barrel!

My Gun Is Stainless!

The POWER BELT 338 GRAIN Platinum Did Have Some Corrosion On It!

What Gun Are You Shooting?
Greetings Elk, this post was awhile back as I was hunting whitetail in Texas last January. Sounds like corrosion takes awhile before and damage to my gun . Thanks for the information. I was shooting the Cva Paramount in .45 cal .

There's One Thing I Should SPLAIN I Guess!

We Live In a DRY Climate Here!

The Outcome In A Real HUMID Area Could Be A Total Different Outcome!

Just Thought I'd Mention It!
I did my own testing after Blackhorn came out. After hunting season I left two CVA Kodiak in my bathroom for a month(lots of shower steam). These guns were both fouled and probably each had a dozen or more shots without cleaning.

Barrels of both guns were destroyed. I called Western powder and they confirmed what I experienced. They sent me three eight pound jugs of powder (not Blackhorn unfortunately ?) which was very cool of them. It’s too bad they sold out to Hodgdon.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom