How rare is this?

BGnight

Found this a few days ago deep in an aspen patch in northern NV. The few times I've gone shed hunting I never found squat (I admit I suck at it) so I felt pretty lucky to find this (I was doe hunting). It's a perfect 6x6. Not huge, but has great character. Thinking a bow hunter or mountain lion got him this summer/fall. Besides being sun bleached, they're in perfect condition and he still has his ivories! Anyone find natural euro mounts like this very often?

20211113_103854.jpg

20211113_112220 (1).jpg

Its at least a year or two old. Probably was sick and died. no predator sign/chews. That is the rare part. I've found lots of dead heads over the years.

Always cool to find them.

Its at least a year or two old. Probably was sick and died. no predator sign/chews. That is the rare part. I've found lots of dead heads over the years.

Always cool to find them.
I didn't know how to age it. It seemed older, but the fact there were no chew marks made me think it was more recent. The legs were dragged away and still had decent amount of fur on them. I guess if it was this year there would be way more hide present.

From what I’ve seen, a lion kill usually has the head torn off because they work that neck over pretty good. That’s deer, but I don’t think elk would be much different.

They are fun to find.

Found this a few days ago deep in an aspen patch in northern NV. The few times I've gone shed hunting I never found squat (I admit I suck at it) so I felt pretty lucky to find this (I was doe hunting). It's a perfect 6x6. Not huge, but has great character. Thinking a bow hunter or mountain lion got him this summer/fall. Besides being sun bleached, they're in perfect condition and he still has his ivories! Anyone find natural euro mounts like this very often?

View attachment 59058

View attachment 59059
We find a few every year. But mine are almost always rags and 5 pts while my buddies find all the good ones?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom