How To Bring Does Back #2

slamdunk

Since these last couple threads have exploded, I figured I may as well hit on a new possible theory with a new thread.

We've mentioned various threats our deer herds are facing and no doubt all of them are a factor, but after giving it more thought and gathering a little additional intel, I want to move Ranching up on the list of possible negatives.

In a previous thread I mentioned the story of a Rancher down on the Boulder last year whom contacted the Division several times about deer getting into his hay.
He claims after several failed attempts, he took matters into his own hands and slaughtered over a hundred deer with a spotlight and an AR-15 in one night.
Can we even fathom the impact that has on a unit already suffering a decline in numbers?
To simplify it-
100 deer @75 does and 25 bucks.
It's safe to assume 50 of those does were pregnant, 20 of the 50 are twins for an additional 70 deer dead.
170 dead deer (assuming my math is correct of course)!
Thats pretty damn scary if you ask me.

My son was working in Monroe today and asked a Rancher how the deer are looking and if he gets many on his property during winter.
The Rancher told him the majority of the deer go into his neighbors corn fields and they get killed by either the Rancher or the Division for damage control.

This makes me have to wonder how many deer are actually killed in the name of "Depredation" and how does this factor in all the studies being done on predators, highway mortality, human encroachment, loss of habitat, etc, etc and is it even measured?

Last edited:
I have wondered the same thing. How many deer are getting killed each year by land owners? It does not take many each year when the herd is already struggling
Ranch depredation might be a bigger piece of the puzzle than we realize, we rarely ever hear about it other than stats on deperdation draw tags.

Last edited:
I agree. Do we even know how many landowner tags are given to the land owner? Maybe case by case situation but it may be doing some serious damage to the deer herd, especially the doe and fawn crop.

Since these last couple threads have exploded, I figured I may as well hit on a new possible theory with a new thread.

We've mentioned various threats our deer herds are facing and no doubt all of them are a factor, but after giving it more thought and gathering a little additional intel, I want to move Ranching up on the list of possible negatives.

In a previous thread I mentioned the story of a Rancher down on the Boulder last year whom contacted the Division several times about deer getting into his hay.
He claims after several failed attempts, he took matters into his own hands and slaughtered over a hundred deer with a spotlight and an AR-15 in one night.
Can we even fathom the impact that has on a unit already suffering a decline in numbers?
To simplify it-
It's safe to assume 50 of those does were pregnant, 20 of the 50 are twins for an additional 90 deer dead.

My son was working in Monroe today and asked a Rancher how the deer are looking and if he gets many on his property during winter.
The Rancher told him the majority of the deer go into his neighbors corn fields and they get killed by either the Rancher or the Division for damage control.

This makes me have to wonder how many deer are actually killed in the name of "Deperdation" and how does this factor in all the studies being done on predators, highway mortality, human encroachment, loss of habitat, etc, etc and is it even measured?
That makes me sick! They need to come up with a solution quick!

I know there is depredation tags the public can put in for, but I think there are also tags given to landowners for bucks and doe. I might be wrong on this maybe someone could check into it.

Meh. The original posters info is just hearsay. Likely it’s a gross exaggeration of an event that likely didn’t happen

To simplify it-
It's safe to assume 50 of those does were pregnant, 20 of the 50 are twins for an additional 90 deer dead.

This makes me have to wonder how many deer are actually killed in the name of "Deperdation" and how does this factor in all the studies being done on predators, highway mortality, human encroachment, loss of habitat, etc, etc and is it even measured?
What’s frustrating is that the farmers cattle probably ranged all summer long on BLM forage on pennies on the dollar the price for feed, yet when game animals eat his feed he gets to slaughter animals. Something is wrong with this picture

Slam I never even thought of this. your right after the 72 hour notice pretty much anything goes deer or elk..

Let me ask you does this landowner get Dep tags for elk as well like bull tags?

Use slams math.

170 killed in one temper tantrum.

Then figure how many of those does would have put out fawns for years and years. And how many of those fawns will become does, etc, etc, etc.

That one night could be thousand and thousands.

Now multiply that by all the ranchers pulling that.

And bet your azz, old boy ain't done a single thing to protect his hay. Just shot deer.

Use slams math.

Then figure how many of those does would have put out fawns for years and years. And how many of those fawns will become does, etc, etc, etc.

And bet your azz, old boy ain't done a single thing to protect his hay. Just shot deer.
Hoss now x that number by 100 ranchers this is very interesting

Use slams math.

......year after year after year

Most of those same fields hold very few deer anymore because the deer are gone, but I wonder if there has ever been a decrease in how many deer they can kill?

2021 collaring study food for thought
Screenshot_20220111-181146_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20220111-181222_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20220111-181305_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20220111-181339_Drive.jpg

I know where I hunt road kill is a huge issue! I thought about taking a count and reporting on it. Imagine if you could cut that in half! Also, I am surprised at the number of fawns that get caught in the fence on their first trip to the winter range.

I know where I hunt road kill is a huge issue! I thought about taking a count and reporting on it. Imagine if you could cut that in half! Also, I am surprised at the number of fawns that get caught in the fence on their first trip to the winter range.
I’ve also noticed the fawns

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom