How to call in Couger

E

elkhuntingcouple

WE have a freind with a large farm. It is calving time and he has noticed couger tracks not to far from the barn. WE have not ever called in a couger or hunted one. He would like us to call it in if possible and kill it. We are wondering if we just use a preditor call? Tie a rabbit out in the brush? Any help would be appreciate. What time of day does a couger move the most or is it only evenings? I know we only have a few days left of hunting season.

They mostly layup in the day and hunt at night. There are many calls that I've heard work, having never called on in myself. A friend of mine has called 2 in using a Haydels Government Hunter. He blows it just like calling coyotes. Give that a try.

If you get tired of failure, hook up with a houndman. Post for some help here and your location and I'm sure you'll get some response. You'll never be in better company, if you doubt it just read some of the posts below.

Ed, www.swhounds.com

only one i ever called in, we were trying to call coyotes. after we decided it was a dud, we stood up and my uncle blasted about a 110 lb. tom. i have a friend who has called in several and waited out a couple more on kills. the ones he called in he was after a lion too. said he went into country he knew their lions somewhere and called until he was sick of it. on one he looked over and there was one layin' on a rock lookin' at him and he blasted. on another, he called in a coati mundi and after he watched it play around on a rock, he shot it. when he was almost to it and trashing through some oak brush he could see a lion peeking over a rock looking at him. could just see it's eyes and ears. he shot it at about 6 feet. he said he quit calling when the coati came in and just watched it play around for quite awhile and thinks the lion came in, saw the coati and was putting the sneak on it and when he shot the coati the lion flattened out and hid. said he would have just walked past it if he didn't happen to be looking that way.

I thought it was illegal to use hounds. If not I will check witht the farmer and make sure he don't mind. I wouldn't think he would but I better check first. Thanks for the information.

I've had the best luck useing a deer grunt tube and making a deer in distress bbllaa bla bla call for a long time 2 hoursand have a buddy at you back they tend to sneak in behind me to 20 feet
I like the old wooden lohman grunt tube and make it sound kind of like a calf.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom