How to encourage hunters to kill more wolves

BrianID

Very Active Member
I like the idea of added incentives for those who kill a wolf.
It probably wouldn't happen but here is my idea.

Anyone who killed a wolf during the 2012 season would get to hunt extra days on either their 2013 general season elk tag or extra days on there 2013 deer tag. I would say let them hunt 5 days before the general season opens. For me it would be a big advantage to get to hunt a general season unit for 5 days before everyone else. I don't think this would increase the number of mature bucks and bulls being killed in general season units. However, it would change who has the best chance of killing a mature buck or bull in a general season unit.

I am happy to give hunters who have killed wolves an advantage over me if I haven't killed a wolf the previous year. Even if one of these hunters killed the big buck I had been watching a 5 days before the season opened for me and everyone else.

The other good thing about this idea is it will encourage hunters who have a record of killing wolfs to spend more time in the hills. I'm all for encouraging guys who have killed a wolf to spend more time in the hills packing a rifle.

Oh the carrot for wolf hunter. It's a great idea but I have found that the stick works more often than the carrot. I suggest we consider a plan where if you want to hunt big game maybe you need to either show proof of a predator kill. In some states they require you to take a doe before you can kill a buck, where they have population problems.

I don't really wan't to require this but I think it's rediculous that you have to reward big game hunters for doing what is best for their own game instead of somehow finding further blame with Fish and Game for not doing it for them. On top of that their revenues are down and any extra requirements on their time will cost more $$.

PS we have taken out ~20-25% of the population so far this year, with the two best month's still to go. We are doing pretty good as it is.

So far there has been 257 wolves killed this season. I would hope that is 20-25% of the wolves in Idaho. Unfortunately it may be closer to 10% than 20% of the wolves in Idaho.

I like your stick idea as well. I agree, something like either idea would probably never happen.

If you had to kill a coyote or wolves before you got a deer or elk tag, it would put some serous hurt on coyotes. You also wouldn't have many guys who are poor shots hunting deer because they wouldn't be good enough to get a coyote. F&G would also loose huge amounts of revenue because they wouldn't be able to sell any tags.

One thing that should continue is the sharing of info here on where wolves have been sighted recently as well as any useful techniques. This isn't one area to hold back out of jealousy.

I was in an area this weekend, which was exactly the spot that I saw a large pack exactly a year ago, but the difference is with the dry ground the deer and elk just aren't as concentrated so I have seen no wolf sign. My plan for this year was to spend time where the elk were concetrated and look for wolf tracks in the snow. I am finding it difficult on both counts so far.

I'm not sure why we need incentives to get hunters to kill wolves... Everyone has been complaining for 15 years about the wolves, now they've got a chance to go get em. Do hunters really need more incentive?

I think just the opportunity to have a wolf is plenty exciting enough. I would be on cloud 9 if I got one

10% is what you consider has been killed, then your saying that there are over 2,000 wolves in Idaho. I don't think so. IDFG last count showed if I remember right that there were almost 100 wolves less then 2010. Their count on the wolves was suppose to be somewhere around 705. Am just saying here and this is my 2 cents.

F&G doesnt have a clue how many wolves are in Idaho PERIOD its their so called Best guess !!! BS I have spoke with several F&G people actively involved in their spring summer winter flight surveys & they go by a 1 & 3 method !! if they see 1 animal they assume there were 3 more there that they didnt see !!! FACT a few years back out of Weiser the local game warden at the time did a winter herd count on a group of elk hanging near some farm ground.. this herd was counted by at least 6 different local farmer/homeowners their counts varied from 150 to 200 animals { my kid & I sat there 1 day not 400 yards from this herd & we counted at least 180 head } F&G sat there for 3 hrs counting & his # was 80 head ??? this herd stayed in the same place for almost 2 months !!

The biologist in the Clearwater area told me last year, that we kill 200 wolves and there's more than 200 pups being born every year. So at this rate will never catch up. But just having a wolf tag in my pocket last year made my hole hunt. I loved it.

This is a different view on the topic, but what if the dept offered successful wolf hunters another chance in the draw of their choice, be it deer, elk, whatever.
I think letting successful wolf hunters out five days earlier is a patroling nightmare for conservation officers. I mean who is going to limit those guys, whats to stop joe blow unsuccessful from going out as well. I think a reward is a great idea, but maybe something a little different.

freebird,

All I'm claiming is there are more wolves out there than the F&G can verify. The F&G have admitted this many times. The F&G was able to document 163 new pups for 2011. If the F&G was able to document 90% of the 2011 pups that would be very impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if the F&G documented less than 50% of the 2011 pups.

The numbers listed by the F&G and Federal government have always been the minimum number of wolves. Two months ago the F&G had 100 verified wolf packs in Idaho. This is the highest number of verified packs in Idaho since 2005.
Here's a link.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/docs/wolves/reportMonthlyNov11.pdf

The 2010 report stated there was a minimum of 705 wolves.
There are graphs on page 6 showing minimum number of packs and minimum number of wolves from 1995 to 2010.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/docs/wolves/reportAnnual10.pdf
(page 8 has a map of documented and suspected packs in 2010 which could be useful for wolf hunters looking for a general area to start)

If the F&G can document 100 packs, it isn't a far stretch to believe the current number of wolves in Idaho is closer to 2500 than 1000. If there are 200+ wolves killed every year for the next 3 years then it will be easier to make the argument of 2000+ wolves in Idaho.

Like I have said before I hope I'm wrong and there are less than 1000 wolves in Idaho.

timberline,

I think that wouldn't be a bad idea to increase their odds of drawing controlled hunt tags.

I agree letting successful wolf hunters out 5 days earlier would make patrolling for poachers more difficult. Here a few things to think about.

The current wolf season gives poachers an excuse to carry their "deer rifle" or "elk rifle" in areas with wintering elk and deer or creates a much larger poaching problem. Poachers could also pack around there rifle during archery season and say they are shooting at a wolf next to the elk herd when the elk during the archery season. There are already many units with a limited number of either sex deer hunts which open 5 days before the regular season. Currently it is very difficult to patrol for poachers. I don't think a short season extension would make the problem significantly worse.

Watch closely the number the commission gives to the legislature today. I am expecting they are going to start using more accurate numbers. In the past they have used only the numbers they can prove in court, not the true esimates.

Unit 1 alone now has 13 packs using it as a buffet.

Brian I would support any incentive to get people to take harvesting a wolf more serious, however I would like to see it continue beyond the first wolf & should be squared for each wolf after the first.
I dont need added incentive myself however I'm prety sure more people would get involved if they saw those of us who are w/ extra privleges.

if F&G is remotely accurate on the # of packs & that each pack has a breeding pair & each is breed & pops out a litter of pups..according to all the Wolf experts both pro & cons they all agree that they will have 4 to 7 pups per litter doesnt that put 400 to 700 new targets on the ground every year ???? lets assume 1/2 dont make it that still puts 200 to 350 new hunters of all game wild & domestic on the ground in Idaho every year !!! so we take 300 a year out we are NEVER going to get ahead of them...look at Alaska they hunt wolves damn near year round & cant hardly give away tags to hunters & they have a full time wolf program they fly yearly & kill animals & they still according to their latest # figures have between 7 & 11000 wolves !!!

we dont need any kind of a Give me to people killing wolves there are guys that are in areas that the wolves are plentiful & than there are areas they are not..for instance if a guy lives & hunts in say the Owyhees 40 41 42 & he Never sees a wolf how would it be fair to give another guy that lives & hunts in the areas infested with them a Freebie tag or extra days a field??? I am 100 % for harvesting as many wolves as possible..I myself think they should be treated like yoyes OPEN SEASON year round let F&G monitior the #s taken & close areas according to harvest #s...just my 2 cents...

I 100% agree with Oldhornhunter.Wouldnt be fair to everyone, think about non-res hunters who only come for a limited amount of time to hunt.Open season and let F&G monitor take/closure is the best way.As far as people carrying guns to poach during certain seasons, in Idaho we can carry a gun anywhere and anytime so it wont really matter,and I for one like that privilege.

Be aware that when the wolves are done with the units they are plentiful in, all hunters res & nonres will be heading to the units that have few or no wolves, such as the Owyhees.

WHAT EVER THE F&G SAY THE WOLF POPULATION IS IN IDAHO, I THINK YOU COULD AT THE LEAST DOUBLE IT AND BE CLOSER TO THE TRUTH. ALSO OUR BIG GAME HERDS ARE PROBABLY BELOW WHAT THEY ARE SAYING. MY 2 CENTS

My biggest concern is that IDFG keeps an accurate number of breeding pairs as possible as I don't want to see the wolves go back under Fed control. I also know first hand that SSS was very alive and well during the 2010 hunting season. It also seems like trapping is a very effective means of harvesting wolves. Not sure what a wolf pelt is worth these days?? Me personally, if they were going to reward hunters for killing wolves by giving them extra days I would rather it be at the end of the general hunting season.

Try mile post 81 by Loman,nicked one yesterday,lots of tracks,and howling on both sides of the river. They were targetting the Elk as there was a herd across the river. Definately need some hunters,as i never saw a soul.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom