How to judge an Antelope?

M

MartinHunter

I keep seeing all of the guess the score posts for Antelope and when I guess I am way off. The most likely reason is because I have never been able to judge a goat anywhere. I see one, it looks big, I shoot it, and it shrinks the closer I get. Does anyone have any tips on how to judge a goat in the field? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Michael

Michael: Eastmans has a tape out called Trophy Antelope that is helping me guesstimate better. I think the tape is around 15.00 and goes over mass, length, diggers etc..... Allen Taylor......

I might have to purchase that and go over it a bunch this summer. Maybe I will get a monster next year that won't shrink as much on the ground. Thanks for the advice Allen.
Michael

When you are going to field judge, divide the horn into parts; length of horn, length of prong, mass at base, mass above prong. Remember, that length of horn can be deceiving if it doesn't hook over real far, and vice versa.

I was told that the average Antelope ear was 7 1/2 to 8 inches and that the ear sits approx 2 inches below the base of the horn. Has anybody ever heard this? If so you can figure the height of the horn (taking into consideration curl) by comparing the ear with the horn. Thanks for the help guys.
Michael

Antelope are hard to judge but remember that mass makes up over half of ur score. So look for bucks that seem very heavy but look a little short in height due to the mass the buck is usually taller that they appear. If the diggers appear to reach out over the bucks eyes from the side, and lower bases look extremely thick u are generally looking at a good buck.

WB
85 6/8 B&C net
Montana

Martinhunter , antelope are pretty tough to judge . Antelope up in Montana and Wyoming are a slight bit bigger in body/head size than down here in NM and AZ . The average ear on the antelope here are about 6 in and up in Wy I think the average is about 7.5 . If you get to really glass and study a buck you can use his ear length to get an idea of his horn length , but as said above , mass really contibutes to B and C and Pand Y scores . Ive seen 15in bucks score 80-82 and 16 in bucks score 78-80 because lack of mass . Usually where you find one buck ,you'll find another and than another , good quality optics will help look over the differance in body size of older more mature bucks , but that doesn't neceserally(spelling) mean an older buck has bigger horn either. After looking over a few here and there , I videoed 10 different bucks last Aug. and it seemed that the bucks that had longer noses had alot more horn , but again that doesn't mean a whole lot unless you can get out and look them over untill you know which is which...Hope this helps , I absolutely love Speed Goats.....NMhuntnutt

At "FIRST" look,consider only BUCKS that have their Prongs completly over their ears.If so,look again,if not drive on.Also younger Bucks will be in Bachelor Groups/Alone.Why?Because the Buck YOU are probally looking for has run them off,keep looking,you'll find HIM.Good Luck---

I always get a good chance to glass over the bucks I see, but it is always at a distance. I think maybe I will do a little extra scouting this year and use some of the tips you guys gave me.

Thanks
Michael

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom