HOW WIDE OF A UTV

UINTBB

Folks,
I'm interested in getting some viewpoints of advantages or disadvantages of a UTV with 72 inch wide wheelbase.
They look good but want to hear about "IN THE FIELD" experiences.
Thanks beforehand.

72” utv usually are more sport oriented the wider track allows more travel and stability at speed. The narrow track machines will usually turn tighter and have a larger cargo capacity due to the way they are set up. If you are going to play all summer then go an a hunt or two go wide. If it’s purpose is hunting go narrow and strong. Pick the machine for the job. One doesn’t pull a trailer with a Porsche rather than the truck

The 50 inch machines are great for getting down those 50 Inch gated trails. The only problem is the 50 inch wide machines are only two seaters. The four seaters ride really nice. You have to be careful changing rims and tires. My machines is now 68 inches wide. Four seaters are nice for more people and gear. They also ride like a long travel race car. I keep a couple Fourwheelears around for the 50 inch trails. And have learned to take other trails and meet the 50 inch guys at the other side of the trail. They all have their positives and negatives.

I have had 50", 60" and now a 64" turbo. both 2 and 4 seater. No doubt the wider turbo is more fun and smoother, but they all work. 4 seaters give you more places to put stuff and room if more hunters. I sold my 50" as we just never used it.

I’ve had three all around 60”, all +/- 2”. I like the size, I think it’s a happy medium.

The 50” are prone to rollover’s on hills that aren’t that steep. I went on a trip to the Hatfield McCoy trail two years ago. One person in our group just bought a brand new Can-Am Trail Maverick Sport (something like that) and it was 50” wide. He rollled it on it’s side twice in two days, and then parked it and rode with somebody else. The other five machines were all around 58”-64” and nobody rolled at all.

I would not own one, they’re too tippy for me. The 72” one are pure sport with small bed/boxes for hauling. They’re fun, but not real useful. We just took two 2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2’s to Wyoming for an Antelope hunt two weeks ago and they were “perfect” for our hunting needs.

FF84AE55-D130-4326-B38D-4533D28A4960.jpeg

0A9DADF4-8465-418D-86BF-902727754BB0.jpeg

I’ve owned Yamaha’s for over (40) years and have been very happy with them. YMMV.

After looking and riding in a lot of them, the wife and I decided that the Kawasaki Teryx 2 was the one for us. Exactly 60" wide with my highway rims and DOT tires. We found that it's more comfortable for all around use, has a 600# tilt bed, the space behind the seats has two 6-8 gallon waterproof and dustproof storage compartments. Very stable on any roads and up in the hills. Sure saves on beating up the truck! The 800 cc motor has all the power we need. The big plus is that it fits on my smaller 10 foot trailer.

Attachments

• D5CFEED1-882A-46E3-9230-928D4A42E34E.jpeg
    D5CFEED1-882A-46E3-9230-928D4A42E34E.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 151
After looking and riding in a lot of them, the wife and I decided that the Kawasaki Teryx 2 was the one for us. Exactly 60" wide with my highway rims and DOT tires. We found that it's more comfortable for all around use, has a 600# tilt bed, the space behind the seats has two 6-8 gallon waterproof and dustproof storage compartments. Very stable on any roads and up in the hills. Sure saves on beating up the truck! The 800 cc motor has all the power we need. The big plus is that it fits on my smaller 10 foot trailer.

Blank,

Congrats on the purchase of your new SXS. I think it will serve you much better then either a 50” or 72” wide SXS.

Enjoy!

It’s hard to squeeze anything wider through a 50” gate.

True, but I think 50" is/will become a thing of the past. It's an ancient law that was created before SXS's were a thing. Now SXS's lead the market in sales over ATV's. The more I ride, the fewer 50" gates I see.

True, but I think 50" is/will become a thing of the past. It's an ancient law that was created before SXS's were a thing. Now SXS's lead the market in sales over ATV's. The more I ride, the fewer 50" gates I see.
I hope so. Don’t really understand what they are trying to accomplish. Trails that I drove a long bed F 350 with 35 inch BFG’s down. Is now a 50 inch trail. Sure I had to fold my mirrors in and climb over a few rocks. Another I drive my side x side down with no problems. Now a 50 inch trail. It just doesn’t make any sense. I have seen a few trails that are skinny on a cliff. That I understand.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom