hows the hunting

cacklercrazy

Will be heading out to the breaks on the 13th. I was wondering how the weather was and the roads? Will be heading out to unit 622. Also has anyone had any luck out there so far.

Deer are still tough out there. Weather is supposed to be moving on Thurs and sounds like the rut will be on during that time. Last time I was in 622 I saw about 10 elk for every deer.

Nemont

rutting activity started. saw many bucks swelled up and chasing. the switch has turned. was in 652. not sure about 622. if you do some research on the net about rutting times and the rutting moon it is alot earlier than last year, never did beleive that stuff but it seems to be right this year. the last four days have been good. biggest buck I have seen in 652 was chasing saturday night and this is my fourth 652 tag. numbers are down but I saw bigger bucks. looking good, good luck...

Hey wapiti, you seem to like that 652 tag. What kind of bucks are you seeing? My friend had that tag in 2009. I tagged along hoping to get some insight and was pretty disappointed at what I saw. That's a long way from billings to commit to an area for a Muley for me. We talking 155-170 type deer or 175+ bucks? I am building points hoping for a 270 tag some day. Do you have any pics to share of some of the deer you have seen or killed? I would love to see them You could email them if you dont want them on the web Thanks in advance.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

Hello stubaby, congrats on your success (from your earlier posts). yea its a 3.5 hour drive from billings but I dont mind it at all. We put on some miles during hunting season, but its Montana, a few hour drive does not bother me. I have left Billings at 2am many times to be there at daybreak. What area in 652 did you and your friend hunt. The area does have the genetics for producing a great buck. I have seen a few. A person needs to do alot of walking the draws and glassing. Most people drive the roads and don't get out. 270 tag is a good tag but another few hours away. Not to mention all the big bucks that get killed by the indians in 270. They hunt year around down there and shoot alot of deer after the hunting season.
Have you ever thought about 530 North of Billings?
Let me see if I can dig up some pics, if I have any. Thanks.

I spent about 3 weeks in 622 last year, Yeah there are more elk then deer.Doing hard hunting, I would see 8-10 deer per day. Couple bucks that would go 25 inches. But I tell what! the pack out would have been something else.

Sounds like the weather Thurs-Sat is going to be bad stuff, maybe some drifted over roads down there.

We pounded the bear creek area pretty hard. Saw some bucks. Also down by Rock creek. I've looked into 530 or the pryors but I never felt that I could find a bigger buck in any of the areas that you are "committed" to than general area. What are your thoughts on 530?

Dont give STUBBY any info unless you want him to show up with everyone he can find with a tag to shoot every immature buck they can find and then share the info with anyone who will listen,thats his MO.

Heck of a first post. Who are you? What are you talking about?

Who knows!?! 7thgen, nonya, or whoever gave me a compliment(maybe) on my elk this year. Can't be him? I never knew 170" bucks were immature. Not only that, I'm usually the one scolding guys for showing too much hillside on thier pictures because I hunt the same areas. I have taken a few buddys on heavily hunted public land to help them out, but so do most guys.

I have to disagree with your definition of Stu's MO. Since I am being included in the "Everyone He finds to Shoot an immature buck" I have shot two bucks with stu and they were both better than average, I would have shot smaller but he talked me out of it. I have hunted with him, and look forward to the next time we can have tags in the same state again. As fo his sharing of info, You are either misinformed, or ignorant.

I have some friends who just got back from 4 days in 622. They were on horses with cow tags and said they didn't see a single deer. They mostly hunted the kill woman and chippy cr areas. This weather rolling in should help (roads may get pretty sketchy tho)

Monttoco, I read you comments and not to sure if you know what you are talking about. You strike me as a state jumper type of guy. Live in Utah for a while, the move to some place like Montana, the over to Colorado. Why don't you just pick one state. If you want a real challenge come back to Montana and try for a big whitetail.

The roads are almost impassable right now but it is supposed to freeze hard tonight and tomorrow.

Nemont

Ive been on the south side of Peck the last few days. Knew the storm was rolling in so was prepared. Packed up last night when it hit and got out of there until it clears. Only live acouple hours away so figure go home till it breaks. Approx 2 foot drifts on the roads as of last night, guessing today would be horrible. Snow on the level was well over my boots as of 6 pm last night. Started snowing about 2 in the afternoon. 24 hours prior to that I was down to my t shirt sweating.

The road conditions are horrible around Choteau now. Should be out hunting but am in a hotel waiting it out. The high country has to be a mess. Travel with due caution. I was going to head down to Great Falls to get my son but that did not work out. Hopefully, I can get down there tomorrow. Got a buddy coming up to kick it with me and is due to land in GTF tonight. He will have to hunker down in a motel until I can make it over there. Should be good hunting if you can get to your spot.

>I have some friends who just
>got back from 4 days
>in 622. They were
>on horses with cow tags
>and said they didn't see
>a single deer. They mostly
>hunted the kill woman and
>chippy cr areas. This
>weather rolling in should help
>(roads may get pretty sketchy
>tho)

did they find any cows my son has a cow tag thinking about taking him down there with my mules again, struck out the first time

They didn't find any! And they have hunted that area for twenty some years and have always get thier elk when they get a tag. Seems really odd to me cuz when I hunted 622 three years ago I saw a very minimum of fifty head every day for two weeks straight

an officer on the CMR i talked with said most elk were on the slippery ann and on private not much in between,,,,,,

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom