HOYT SUPERTEC??

E

EASTERN_MULE

I'VE DECIDED TO RETIRE MY FAITHFUL BOW OF 8 YEARS TO "BACK-UP" STATUS AND START SOME MORE MEMORIES WITH A NEW BOW. I USED TO SHOOT A 1995 JENNINGS MACHINED EXTREME XLR AT 70 LBS. 30" DRAW. I'VE NEVER OWNED ANY OTHER BOW BRANDS. IN MY SHOPPING'S THIS HOYT SUPERTEC HAS CAUGHT MY EYE. ANYONE OUT THERE SHOOTING THIS BOW? OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS? JUST WANT INFO ON THEM IF THEY ARE WELL LIKED, ACCURACY? THANKS!

I have shot the Supertec. It is Hoyt's speed bow (330 fps), so it has a low brace height. It is suprisingly forgiving though. I bought a Hoyt last year and shot them all before I settled on the Razortec. None of them were bad, but I felt the most comfortable with the Razortec and Ultratec. Try shooting the Supertec and see what you think. You won't be disappointed with a Hoyt.

In my opinion, the Supertec is the most forgiving "speed bow" on the planet. I shot every one of Hoyt's bows in 2003 and I walked away with the Supertec. However, I would not recommend it to beginners or to someone who doesn't shoot their bow until a week before the season. It is a very nice bow to shoot. I've got mine at 52# and 290fps with my hunting arrow, and it's every bit as accurate as any hunting bow I've owned.
This is my Sept 2003 archery buck taken at 48 yards. 192 gross on a 188 typical frame. Note the bow in the pic.
wardk03md.jpg

Nice buck Ward !!!!

Like you said the Supertec is not a bow for the casual hunter. It has Hoyts Spiral cams on it. They have a valley that is about 1/16" long. If you creep forward on your release at all it will rip your arm off :)

I have the Ulratec with regular Cam 1/2's and it is a spectacularly forgiving bow. It was used to win many of the 3D and target tournaments last year including the FITA world championships.

I don't think most folks will like the Spiral cams, but the new Xtec from Hoyt with the Cam 1/2 will be a similar bow with a much more forgiving draw cycle.

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks Pete. I have to agree with you, the Ultratec is an awesome bow. I took my two previous mulies with one (Command Cam +, really wish they still had those). It is definitely a more forgiving bow, just by design. Personally, I much prefer the Spiral cam over the Cam 1/2, but that's just me. I like a solid wall and didn't mind the short valley. However, I can say I was in the minority on that one. Almost everyone else I know prefers the Cam 1/2.
If you're looking for a pure speed bow, the Supertec is a great one, the best out there in my opinion. If you're looking for a good balance of speed and forgiveness, the Ultratec is definitely a great choice, or the new Xtec as you stated. Shot it the other day and it's a good one.
Ward

Hey Eastern. I purchased a new bow last winter and decided on the ultra tec w/ cam1/2. I was down between the super and the ultra. I went with the ultra for the resaons stated by the other guys... forgiviability. I shoot 3d, but only to make me a better hunter! In most hunting situations I have enough to think about other then maintaining perfect form. I understand this is critical with the super tec and spiral cams. I killed a bear and a 6x7 bull with it this year and am still after whitetails here in Idaho. (I came within a milisecond from the record books yesterday) That buck will be a B&C contender next season. At anyrate I do like my ultar tec. some good things are that it is fast and extreamly quite. I shoot very heavy hunting arrows and still send them down range at 280 fps. In the first part of 3d I just switch to lighter carbons in case I guess the yardage wrong.. They are not a light as I was expecting, and the funny handle makes them a little weird to carry in a bow holster. Which ever wat you go, Hoyt is a good choice.

Ultra-tec is a great bow. I have a Pro-tec and an Ultra-tec. I like them both. The Pro-tec with 2000 limbs and CC+ wheel is fast and unbelievably forgiving. JMO The best way I have found to carry these bows in the field is the Crooked Horn bow sling. Attach the loop to the tec riser "strut." This gets the bow up high and off your hip reducing bow movement. Dan

Since we are talking about Hoyt Bows. What do you think about the xtec for someone who is a beginner. I have been a cam 1/2 on a reflex bow this year and i'm ready to upgrade to a more permanent set up. Will the xtec meet my needs as my skills improve in this highly addictive sport.

cabinfever

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT! I WENT TO MY LOCAL BOW SHOP AND SHOT MY JENNINGS THRU THE CHRONO TO GIVE ME AN IDEA OF WHERE I'M AT AND IT WAS DOING 275, 276. I GOT A 2004 HOYT BOOKLET, AND TALKED WITH THE OWNER. HE SAYS THIS NEW BOW THEY HAVE FOR "04" THE ULTRAMAG IS GONNA BE A HOT BOW. IT SHOOTS 305, ONLY SLIGHTLY OFF OF THE ULTRATEC BUT HAS A MAGNIESIUM RISER. MAKING IT 300 DOLLARS LESS. HIS PRICE ON THE SUPERTEC OR ULTRATEC IS 689. ULTRAMAG 399. SO ONCE THESE COME IN I'M GONNA FLING SOME STICKS AND TRY 'EM OUT, THEN GO FROM THERE. AFTER LOOKING THRU THE CATALOG I HAD REALLY LEANED TOWARDS THE ULTRATEC WITH THE SPRIAL CAMS (SAME CAM AS THE SUPERTEC). IT SHOOTS 317 IBO. BUT THEY ARE THE SAME PRICE. BUT THIS ULTRAMAG HAS THE SAME XT2000 LIMBS AND CAM AND 1/2 SYSTEM AS THE ULTRATEC. JUST LACKS THE TRI-POCKET, AND HAS A CAST MAG. RISER VS. THE ALUM. SO ONCE ONE OF THESE COME IN I'M GONNA SHOOT IT AND GO FROM THERE. I'LL LET YA KNOW HOW I GO, NICE DEER ALSO!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom